Nephews B-Day Cake Ideas

Decorating By prplnoodles Updated 11 Apr 2006 , 5:35pm by nikim

prplnoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prplnoodles Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 11

My nephews 9th birthday is coming up on the 19th of this month and I'm kind of stuck on what type of cake to make him. I haven't seen him in almost 5 years so I really wanted to make this the best cake he has ever had. I was thinking about a 3 layer ice cream cake, but I don't have any ideas on flavors, what type of frosting/icing to use for an ice cream cake or decorating ideas. Please help...any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 11

Most kids like Oreos, you could do a chocolate cake (if you use a cake at all), cookies 'n' creme ice cream, and a ganache glaze. These are really good if I do say so myself. You could easily mix and match all different kinds of ice cream and cake. Good luck and Happy Birthday to your nephew - I'm sure he'll enjoy it! icon_smile.gifbirthday.gifparty.gif

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 11

There have also been a couple of ice cream cakes added to the gallery recently. One with thin mints and some others, too. You might want to do a search there to get a better idea of how you do them. You might also want to PM the baker of those cakes for instructions.

prplnoodles Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 11

The choc cake and oreo ice cream is along the lines of what I was thinking about doing. I decided to break down and ask my nephew what type of cake he wanted and he said choc cake, choc ice cream and Superman deco. So now I really need help with how to decorate for Superman. I was thinking action figures? Please any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 3:34am
post #5 of 11

I think choc/oreo or choc/butterfinger. That's usually my 10 yo fav. -As far as dec. goes I would find out his fav thing and take that route!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 5:29am
post #6 of 11

fbct? i held waxed paper to my monitor and drew with a sharpie - no wasted paper lol - just reverse pic before tracing so marker is not touching the frosting

prplnoodles Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 11

The wax paper to the moniter idea is a great one. I will try that for the "S". I was thinking about making several small symbols to place around the sides of the cake, I was trying to find a Superman action figure to use for the top of the cake but so far no luck in finding one. Its a good thing I started thinking about this early! LOL

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 12:45am
post #8 of 11

this may not be as easy as it sounds, but hear me out. lol

take waxed paper that will fit around the sides of your cake, like if you were putting a ribbon on it, but as tall as the whole side. Make a collage of pictures on it, and make the whole thing into a fbct. wrap around the cake for a panorama view!

like i said, it won't be easy (and no way am i good enough to do it yet!) but why not try it?

**hoping you try it as i dont have the nerve yet lol**

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 11

The FBCT on the sides of the cake sounds like a good idea, but I can tell you that you will have a hard enough time getting the frosting to stick to the sides of the cake where the ice cream is, let alone a FBCT. It'll be fine on top of the cake though!

What about making a few cookies to go around the sides? You could use a gingerbread man cookie iced like Superman or something like that?

prplnoodles Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 11

These are some great ideas. I would have never thought about doing cookies on the sides. That is acutally a lot better than the idea I had. I was thinking about putting the design on parchment and making royal icing and using it to fill in the design, let it dry and apply them to the sides of the cake.
I never thought about the icing not sticking to the ice cream, maybe a thin layer of cake all around the edge so the ice cream is "inside"?

Thank you for all of the suggestions, this is getting really fun now!!

nikim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikim Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 11

I like the idea of the collage going around the cake. Do you have a hexagon pan? It would be easy to place a 'panel' of the image on each of the cake rather than working the round cake. I did this for my nephew's cake and it turned out cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%