Using A Picture As A Template For A Cake

Decorating By midwestmom Updated 26 Apr 2005 , 5:12am by flayvurdfun

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 20

Somewhere I remember reading an article on how to do this. I remeber something about poking holes in your picture for the outlining, and using cocoa in the holes to make your outline. Anyone know where I can find this article again. Of course after reading it I imagined I'd never need to do that!

19 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 20

i'm not sure, but i think dawn had a tutorial or something about that. icon_confused.gif

midwestmom Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 20

diane, where would i find dawn's tutorials? icon_smile.gif

diane Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 20
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 20

I've heard of that too...but I do something like that... I put the picture I want to trace on foam rubber, styrofoam something like that...something that will let a pin go through without hurting you etc.. the a piece of wax paper on top of that... poke hole with a toothpick, pin something like that that makes a small hole and trace the pic that way...then when you are done with that take apart the wax paper and pic (they will look like One paper because the holes hold these papers together) then with the rough side down on to the cake you press the picture onto the top of the crusted frosted cake. it leaves little holes for you to trace with outlines and such... but if you wanted to do it your way with the cocoa or whatever you can do what my aunt did and that was take the poked picture (the waxpaper) put the sticky part in the cocoa and put it on the cake... you can see the dots better, but it you will also see cocoa places you dont want it to be...which is why I skip that part.... and this is also the technique kathykakes does to do her cakes.... my princess cake was don like that...just dont look at the eyes!!! I cant do small eyes at all!

midwestmom Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks for the link diane, i don't think that was what i'm looking for. This article said something about poking holes in your picture, the placing the picture over your cake & using cocoa powder to fill the holes to create an outline. I was just wanting that whole article to help me.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 20

That free online book I posted earlier has a section on this. I haven't seen it in Dawn's tutorials but maybe I missed it.

http://www.uwyo.edu/ces/wyo4h/4-HWebsite/Publications/cake-decorating.pdf

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 20

I thought that someone on the board made one like this for the Dora cake. Check through the B-day pictures, there's one of princess Dora. I think that one was done like this (I'm not positive)

diane Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 20

oh, i'm sorry. thanks lisa...where did you find that anyway. that has tons of information!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchelle

I thought that someone on the board made one like this for the Dora cake. Check through the B-day pictures, there's one of princess Dora. I think that one was done like this (I'm not positive)

That's the cake I made Mchelle icon_smile.gif What I did was blow up a pic of dora...it took up four pages. I taped the pages together and then cut out the picture. I secured the pic to the cake with toothpicks and then cut around it with a thin serrated knife. Then I used an edible image of the outline on the iced cake and just filled it in. You could do a piping gel transfer though if you didn't have an edible image printer.

Mchelle Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks Lisa, that is great information. I'm saving it now. icon_lol.gif

Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

oh, i'm sorry. thanks lisa...where did you find that anyway. that has tons of information!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Very, very funny how I found this. I was looking for info about dairy goats--LOL! It was for my parents who op a small farm. I get all my eggs from them--love using them in my cakes. So this is the page I ended up on.

http://www.uwyo.edu/ces/wyo4h/4-HWebsite/Publications/ProjectManuals_Main.htm

Mchelle Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 20

That's so funny!

Mchelle Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:54pm
post #14 of 20

Lisa, I still love that cake. That's why I remeber it so well. Not to mention that I think you wrote that earlier, duh. I'm a little slow today. icon_wink.gif

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 20

This is probably the site you are talking about, after poking holes in the pictures, you go over it with a puff that has been filled with cocoa.

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/stencils.htm

Hope this is what you were looking for. icon_smile.gif

midwestmom Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 2:05am
post #16 of 20

I just cut out the picture, then layed it on top of the cake and used a really sharp knife that has a sharp tip on it and make little cuts that went through the paper into the cake. Then I took off the paper & used a toothpick to poke small holes and make all my lines. It worked pretty good. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm getting ready to post my cake if you want to check it out. I made this kind of as a joke for my dad. So, I didn't want it to be a six hour project!!!! I didn't ice it first or anything like that.

Lisa Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 2:18am
post #17 of 20

Oooo...you did a great job thumbs_up.gif

flayvurdfun Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 4:08am
post #18 of 20

yes you did!!!! way to go.

midwestmom Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 4:43am
post #19 of 20

icon_redface.gif Thanks icon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 5:12am
post #20 of 20

I am just truly amazed that you and everyone else on here are so talented enough to take suggestions and go from there and have the cakes come out looking like a bakery's cake..... bravo you all just bravo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%