Help With 2Nd Grade Project! Desert Cake!

Decorating By AmberCakes Updated 8 Apr 2006 , 12:38am by ge978

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 7

Hello to you all and thanks for coming in!

First I want to ask a question to see what you think-
My son's 2nd grade teacher wants everyone to make a habitat project.

Here are her instructions:
I am having each student Create a habitat for an animal that they would find in that area. I suggest using a shoe box to create this habitat but feel free to use whatever you'd like. Project grade COUNTS TWICE.
a. Choose one habitat-grasslands, tundra (arctic), desert, rain forest, forest, stream, pond and ocean.
b. Create the habitat (using a shoe box)
c. It should have plant life for that region
d. Add some animals that you'd find in that region

Your child will give an oral pesentation the day in which the projects are due. They will show the habitat they created.

Be creative and have fun!

My question is:

1. Would it be too crazy if I make a cake instead of a shoe box?

2. I am thinking of grinding up graham crackers and make that for a top layer for the cake to make as a desert-BUT how would I put plant life or animals on it? I have never used fondant and would like to make it easy for me since this is just a cake for a project-or should I just buy ready made fondant to make easy animals? Or can I use dollar store animals to put on top of cake? Is that safe?

What are your ideas? Thanks in Advance! I will be leaving to go to the store for something but I will be back later, Thanks.-Josie

6 replies
AnaMaria11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaMaria11 Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 7

Granulated brown sugar works great for sand. Domino's is called "brownulated", I think.

How will your son make this "his" project? Will he be able to help in a substantial way if you do a cake rather than a shoebox?

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 7

sounds good to me, but most projects are handed in and held..... my son had to do a project too...
why not ask the teacher if HE/SHE could make a cake habitat....

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 7

I would definitely ask the teacher first. My mom is a librarian at the elementary school here and kids shoe box projects always end up in the library. It really depends on what the teacher has planned for the habitat. You could always make cactus cupcakes if you want to be creative and make a treat. Make a cupcake with a good dome on it and cover in pulled out green stars, decorate with toothpicks (maybe no safe) or gumpaste "needles", or black licorice would work too. Just an idea.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 7

My daughter's in second grade too & any time they do one of these projects, they display them either in the classroom or in the library. Is cake something your son wants to do?You could ask the teacher & see what she says. Maybe he could do the shoe box project & the day they turn their projects in you could make a cake or cupcakes.

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 12:30am
post #6 of 7

Oh, okay. I did not know, they will probably be turning them into the library. I thought the cake would have been cool and my son loved the idea. (he was like yeah Mommy let's do that-but I was not sure and wanted ya'lls input) I was going to let him actually decorate it. I just bake the cake and maybe ice it, but him do the rest. Thanks for all whom replied-I will just go ahead and make the shoe box habitat and ask the teacher if I can make cupcakes for their hard work-or maybe make the ice cream cone cupcakes.

Thanks again for ya'lls time! -Josie icon_smile.gif

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 12:38am
post #7 of 7

Josie:
It may be worth your time to ask the teacher...she might think its a great idea. Have fun no matter what you guys decide to do thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%