Help! No Fail Sugar Cookies Is Crumbly

Baking By kyjettachick Updated 9 Apr 2006 , 2:02pm by auntiecake

kyjettachick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyjettachick Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 27

Can anyone help? i just made the recipe
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html
and it turned out extremely crumbly, any advice much appreciated.

26 replies
kyjettachick Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 27

8 views and no replies? I guess you have to be a regular to get help.

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 27

kyjettachick~Did you knead really welL. I am no expert baker since every recipe I have ever made never turned out the first time including these NF SUGAR COOKIES. but maybe an expert can help you. Don't get to impatient with everyone. Some are working.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 27

Sure wish I could help you. I think that most of the people that make this usually are on later in the day. I have never tried this recipe so I can't offer any help there. I usually use the one from Wilton that doesn't have to be chilled. My plan is to try it soon though. Have you tried to do a search for any posts regarding this recipe? That may bring something up for you. I;ll see what I can find.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 27

kyjettachick - I'm sorry that you feel like your post was ignored b/c you're a "newbie."

I viewed b/c I am interested in making this recipe myself. I always like to look to see if there's any tidbit of information that might be useful.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 27

I have made several batches of these and yes the dough appears crumbly. One solution I saw was if you have a KA, mix it until the dough forms a ball. Not having one right now, I mix as best I can, then knead for a minute or so. Once you start rolling, the dough comes together.

deb

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 27

kyjetta,
With a post title this vague, you have to expect a whole lot of people to look at your post and not have any idea what the answer is.

A title like "No Fail Cookie Dough is Crumbly - HELP!" would have perhaps been more descriptive.

At any rate, if you do a quick search, this was discussed in the last two days, and many of us have noticed that if we keep the mixer running, the crumbly dough comes together after a minute or two.

I am sorry you felt like your post was ignored, but many people read every post that is posted, and many more want to see if you're having the same problem they are so they'll know to keep an eye on the answers.

It sometimes takes a bit of time for the right person with the answer to have a chance to get on the boards and help, but give it a bit of time. 20 minutes isn't much time, really.

hth!
Laura.

kyjettachick Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 27

Thanks to those of you who offered advice. I was merely observing that a lot of the newbie posts go ignored whereas the regulars have seemingly real time responses.

It's really frustrating when your time is limited and you're left looking at a pile of wasted ingredients from a recipe you attempted because it's so highly rated. I've heard so much about the recipe that I thought I was the last one to try it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 27

I've never had this problem!! I have made this recipe several times and it always comes out a little on the wet side, not the dry side...hmmmmm.....I always roll it out between waxed paper because I'm afraid it will stick to everything. Wonder if maybe cutting back a little on the flour might help> Are you sure your measurements are correct???? What size eggs are you using??? I use large.....that can make a huge difference if you use the medium!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 27

I've made this recipe lots too and I find it too wet.I also roll it out between 2 pieces of wax paper.I would add a bit more butter.

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 6:06pm
post #11 of 27

I just made a batch....I have a few tricks to help combine the dough better, because it does get crumbly. I don't know if I'm doing it right or wrong, but everyone says they taste great, and that's all that matters to me.

* My KA isn't a Pro, so the full batch is a lot for my mixer, I take it slow. I cream and add all wet ingredients, then 1 cup at a time I add the dry, mix till creamed together, then add another cup. By the fourth cup, the mixer gets kind of hot (oh, I keep the speed on, the whole time between 2 and 4). Then when I add the rest it takes longer because the dough likes to sit above the paddle (I hate it when it does that). So I scrap it down, and at this point I add about 1/2 cup dry. Let it combine the best it can.

*Next, I take my sila mat, I form little softball size balls of dough. You REALLY need to make sure it's combined. My last batch wasn't and I had dry spots when I rolled it out. I think I make out 4 or 5 balls. Squeeze and get all the floor combines. Then with the mat, combine all the balls together into a big one. I wrap it and put it into a zip lock and let it chill.

I think that's all. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help (as long as I know them).
Good Luck!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Wonder if maybe cutting back a little on the flour might help> Are you sure your measurements are correct???? What size eggs are you using??? I use large.....that can make a huge difference if you use the medium!

That's what I was thinking, too. If they don't roll out or hold their shape, you might have to add some fat to it or start over if they are too dry.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 7:50pm
post #13 of 27

There was a recent thread about just this topic, but I can't seem to find it....

(edited to add: I kow it's hard to be patient when you're in the middle of cooking and you have a question, but I've found that people here are VERY helpful. Sometimes you just have to wait a little while until someone who knows the answer has a chance to read and respond to the post.)

I use this recipe all the time, and I love it. but, it's not for everyone. There are many other recipes out ther for cut-out sugar cookie doungh.

I have a KA (Artisan, 5qt), that I make it in. I use the paddle beater. It works, but the whole recipe is a lot for the size bowl I have, so I often cut the recipe in half and make a half a batch at a time.

The dough is kind of crumbly when you get all the flour mixed in. BUT, if you KEEP IT GOING in the mixer for another minute or two, the ball of dough comes together beautifully and isn't crumbly anymore at all.

I hope that helps....

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 8:42pm
post #14 of 27

I have made this 3-4 times and my first batch was crumbly. I used the paddle though. I scraped the sides in between adding the flour mixture. Then I just stopped my KA and took the dough out and kneaded it to incorporate the rest of the stuff. Then put it between parchment paper, rolled out and put in the fridge for 15 mins or so and did the next ball--ended up with 3-4 sheets ready to cut. I also let my butter come to room temperature--20 to 30 mins. Mixed all on 2-3-4 speed. Don't give up. It will work out for you.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 2:41am
post #15 of 27

my very first batch was extremely crumbly....because I used med eggs and I started out cutting the batch in half!!! except did the flour full batch!!! It didnt help I had one asking for help with homework another debating on why a child should bathe.....one who kept repeating over and over only 1 cup butter one cup butter one cup butter.....and then two very determined to be part of it twin baby vultures!!

but every time ive made it after Ive had no problems.....I also put the kids to bed first!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 4:37am
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjettachick

8 views and no replies? I guess you have to be a regular to get help.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks to those of you who offered advice. I was merely observing that a lot of the newbie posts go ignored whereas the regulars have seemingly real time responses.

It's really frustrating when your time is limited and you're left looking at a pile of wasted ingredients from a recipe you attempted because it's so highly rated. I've heard so much about the recipe that I thought I was the last one to try it.

No you don't have to be a regular to get help you just have to have a little bit of patience. In addition there are a lot of folks on CC that do not have the luxury of being home on their lunch break. I saw the topic earlier on but I ignored it because I do not use No Fail Cookie Dough so I really would not have been much help. I figured someone that uses the dough would answer you as soon as they saw it.

Anyway I found the thread that a few people mentioned using the search feature. Click on search up above. Then type in keywords like "No fail dough" I omitted cookie because it will produce too many hits. It took all of 30 seconds to find the information that was already on the site. As you will see it only took that person 2 minutes to get a response and he/she is not a "regular". Added proof that it just depends on the time of day when you are posting. (The post is actually still on the first page of the Cookie Forum)

Here is a link to the thread.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-21107.html

I hope this helps and remember sometimes it just takes a little bit of patience or a bit of searching on your own to find information on this site rather than making unfounded accusation. People on this site are always willing to help out regardless of newbie or veteran status. I myself have risked being late to get to the office to stop and help members with questions.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 4:56am
post #17 of 27

I have used the no fail recipe and made it in my 6qt KA. It was crumbly but I played around with it for a while and it was fine. I normally use the Wilton roll out cookie recipe which is basically the same as this recipe. I did not chill either recipe and the results were fine on both. I find it is easier to work with when not chilled and it did not stick to anything.

dawnrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnrunner Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:02am
post #18 of 27

I just saw this thread and have time to respond to it. I use this recipe all the time and never have a problem with it. But I mix half a batch at a time, making sure the butter is at room temp and use large eggs so it comes out just right. I also use the paddle on my K.A. and mix it until it forms into a ball then roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment paper and put it in the fridge for an hour or until I can get to it.
I hope you have better luck next time you try it.

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:03am
post #19 of 27

KyChick, I am still a newbie to cake decorating and I posted so many ?'s and most got answered right away but some just lingered for awhile until the right person posted. Even when I was a newbie to post. This site is very addicting and so many are willing to help you and guide you. OMG, I have never seen a forum with nice people. I mean other forums on the internet have rude people and therefore I have never wanted to join any until I came here.

Cake Central ROCKS! Okay that said.

Sorry I can't help with the cookies but I am watching this post because I added the no fail recipe to my cookbook-and as I read posts here about a recipe I have, then I make notes on the page for future reference.

Good luck though!-Josie icon_smile.gif

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:05am
post #20 of 27

Oh, I forgot to add that once you make a title-you cannot change it. -Josie icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:46am
post #21 of 27

I haven't made Antonia's recipe but with these kinds of cookie doughs, your measurements are important, the temperature of the ingredients is important, using the right sized eggs, the right amount of butter, the right amount of flour and the correct kind of flour too. I find that with a lot of cookie doughs just as with pastry dough, if you can also mix it a bit with your hands if it is not coming together correctly, it is a good idea. Also, I transfer a dough onto plastic wrap and using the wrap, I squeeze the dough tightly together and wrap tight, to make it form a ball.
I am not sure if you have ever used the Wilton site but there you will wait usually a minimum of a day for a response. Here, you might have 500 views and only one response, it depends on if the people viewing know the answer or not, they are viewing to see the question. It is a cake site, not a cookie site and so there is not the same number of people here interested in cookies as there are interested in cakes.
People bump up their posts, sometimes minutes after posting, because they are in a hurry for an answer. But if nobody is on the site at the time that knows the answer, it will not help.
I don't think people treat newbies any differently than anyone else. Getting a quick answer is related to the the topic, who is on site and the time of day. If you see that someone who frequently posts in the section you are asking for help in, is on the site, you might want to try sending them a Pm.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 1:50am
post #22 of 27

just wanted to put in my two cents worth icon_biggrin.gif , I have never been able to make cookies for decorating until I tried this recipe......it is a great one to use....i also usually make 1/2 batch at at time

and the help that i have gotten on this site has been a lifesaver..... cake_princesss and squirellycakes alone have helped me a lot!!!!....with forum questions and pm's......(did i earn some future brownie points with the two of you....hehehehe icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif )

so thanks goodness for cake central.......although it is indeed addicting icon_surprised.gif
Donna usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 2:25am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp

just wanted to put in my two cents worth icon_biggrin.gif , I have never been able to make cookies for decorating until I tried this recipe......it is a great one to use....i also usually make 1/2 batch at at time

and the help that i have gotten on this site has been a lifesaver..... cake_princesss and squirellycakes alone have helped me a lot!!!!....with forum questions and pm's......(did i earn some future brownie points with the two of you....hehehehe icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif )

so thanks goodness for cake central.......although it is indeed addicting icon_surprised.gif
Donna usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

Well you know, this is a cake site and...you don't earn brownie points, you have to bake brownies for us, new rule!
Hugs Hungry Squirrelly

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 6:23am
post #24 of 27

Haven't made this yet but am going to try. As far as people not answering right away please remember that a lot of people work -- And lo and behold-- many of us are in different time zones. It may be Saturday for you but it could be Sunday for someone else. Just a thought.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 6:38am
post #25 of 27

I have made these twice and both times thay came out more on the wet side. I use large to jumbo eggs so Im sure that made a difference. They tasted yummy and I rolled them between parchment. I have some in the freezer so we will see how it goes from here. I haven't tried the cookie glaze yet though. The first ones got eaten before I could glaze them. Cream your butter and sugar reall well too. That may make a difference. I also have a KA and that probably helps also since it is so stiff.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 1:44pm
post #26 of 27

My batches rarely turn out perfect intitially, I mix in my KA up to a point, usually when I feel like it is not going to mix any farther, at this point if it is to dry and crumbly I add milk a teaspoon at a time, or flour if to wet, and work it by hand. The resulting dough has a certain look and feel in my hands, it does not stick to my hands and holds its shape in a nice slick but not shiny shape.

Hard to explain but hope it helps

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 2:02pm
post #27 of 27

It must be the jumbo eggs I use! So far I have never had it be crumbly! What size are all of you using? I also used Imperial and that may make a difference. They taste delicious and I like it better than the recipe I have that uses cream cheese.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%