Luster Dust

Decorating By angela09 Updated 7 Apr 2006 , 6:59pm by rach1

angela09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angela09 Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 4

icon_rolleyes.gif how exactly do you use luster dust?? i bought some and tried to use it on a baby shower cake and it didnt show up. i may not have used enough. any suggestions??

3 replies
desertm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desertm Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 4

Take a little bit of the dust and add a few drops of edible spirit (I use vodka), until you get a creamy mixture. Use it like paint.

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with desertm. Vodka & everclear are great for the luster dusts. Do not use water. The alcohol will evaporate but water will not fully disolve the dust & will make whatever you are painting into a mushy mess. You can also take a dry brust & sweep it over your surface to make it just a tiny bit sparkly.

rach1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rach1 Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 4

or you can use lemon juice or rejuvenator spirit (which is wot I use)....and paint it on.....to get an idea of the effect look at my undersea castle cake..

Everything is painted on with lustre dusts..the actually castle cake is DUSTED with snowflake lustre to give a fine sheen...

So if you dust you get a light shimmer effect
If you paint it dryes to a wonderful strong shimmer.....everything else on the cake is painted with lustre

Hope that helps

Rach x icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%