Please Help With Gumpaste Tiger Lilies

Decorating By 2508s42 Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 1:28am by ShirleyW

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:34am
post #1 of 10

Please help!! I have a bride that wants giant tiger lilies on her cake. I am having a hard time getting the larger petals to work to make a flower. I can make a little one just fine. I am so frustrated I could cry!! How do you make the big ones??

9 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:59am
post #2 of 10

make a gum paste sausage pass the floral wire thru almost to the end, then flatten the sausage to cut the petal, with the wire holding the whole petal there should be no problem

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:07am
post #3 of 10

You need to make the center stamens first with floral wire and small pieces of brown gumpaste, the wire stems are stuck into styrofoam to dry, then taped with brown floral tape, gathered together and taped again as one bunch. Then you can adjust them to look natural. Color your gumpaste a palish orange. You need a large enough cutter to begin with, (available through Nicholas Lodge or Global Suagr Art) the petal should be rolled on a ridged cel board and then wired with floral wire, the edges of the petals thinned and ruffled with a ball tool on a foam cel pad, then formed over a curved object like a plastic Wilton flower former or an empty paper towel roll cut in half lentghwise with the rounded side up. Left to dry overnight. Next the stems are taped, each petal is painted with dots of colored petal dust mixed with alcohol and painted on with a tiny artists paint brush, then each petal is dusted with a dark orange color. Then petals are then taped one at a time around the dried centers. Tape three petals into thirds, then the last three go inbetween the first three. Adjust the petals so they look natural and pleasing to the eye. Pul the first three into the center just a bit and the last three bend down toward the back abit. Last thing is to steam the finished flower over a pan of steaming water, just twirl the stem back and forth between your fingers and thumb so the steam hits all sides, front and back. Only until the gumpaste begins to shine, too long and it will soften the gumpaste. Steaming sets the dust and keeps it from flaking off on your iced cake. Stick the finished flowers into styrofoam to dry and don't touch the colored parts until they have completely air dried or it will remove the color and leave white spots. Here are some lovely images of Tiger Lilies.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Tiger+Lily&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:18am
post #4 of 10

Love Nick's site. He has helped me alot.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:10am
post #5 of 10
2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 10

thank you everyone. You are all very helpful!

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:18am
post #7 of 10

Shirley, when you say the petal should be rolled on a cel board and wired....is that for each petal?

ShirleyW Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:24am
post #8 of 10

Yes, I make a suasage of gumpaste long enough to lay sideways over three of the ridges, press the paste down gently with your fingers then roll from the center up, go back to the center and roll down, then side to side until the paste is the thickness of a lily petal. Pick the paste up, turn it over, lay your Lily cutters so the ridges go vertically from the bottom to top of the petal. Dip a #26 gauge floral wire into gum glue, feed the wire up through the ridge about 3/4 of the way up the petal. Pinch the bottom of the petal where it meets the wire to secure it. Then thin the edges of the petal, press into a veiner, wired side up, then lay on a foam mat and ruffle the edges with a ball tool. I forgot to say, when you lay the wired petals on the flower former or paper towel roll, they should go wired side down, plain side up facing you.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:27am
post #9 of 10

Thank you very much.........you are so good at explaining details so we beginners understand........

ShirleyW Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:28am
post #10 of 10

Thanks, it is always easier to show a person how to do it than to type it. If you have any other questions just holler.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%