3-D Rubber Ducky Cake Problems

Decorating By MissLady85 Updated 11 Apr 2007 , 2:16am by mglover

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 13

Ok so i have tried to make a 3-D Duck cake about 3 times... problem is that one side of the duck isnt as full as the other (the cake mix doesnt rise all the way) what am i doing wrong? I fill the pan so it is over flowing (and bake it on a cookie sheet cause it makes such a mess) i use DH cake mix (2 layers) but i still cant get this to work right... please help!!

XOXOXO

Whitney

12 replies
sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 13

How is the cake not full enough if it's over flowing? *confused*

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 13

My duck is always a little less full on one side...not perfectly symmetrical. I just fill the one side as full as I can, then tie the pans together while they bake. I don't know that you're doing anything wrong!

MissLady85 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #4 of 13

Sun, i fill up the bottom part of the pan till its overflowing... i then snap the pans together and tie string around the duck. But i never get a full duck. I use a white cake mix most of the time would an Angel Food cake mix help any???

XOXO
Whit

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #5 of 13

I have made this cake twice, and each time it worked fine. Are you standing the pan up or is it laying down? I had mine standing up in the little metal thing it came with. I filled it on one side and tied it together, then propped it up. If you don't have the little metal thing (I can't think what it is called) then maybe you can support it in a bread ban, of course...head up. Good luck!

MissLady85 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:50am
post #6 of 13

thats a really good idea.... i have always done it laying down since there is a hole in the other side... but im ready to try just about anything... thank you all for your help!!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:54am
post #7 of 13

The hole is just for the steam to escape. I was wrong about the direction of standing, though. I started thinking about it and got out my pan... icon_smile.gif Head side down so that the head fills in. You can always trim the bottom. Is your pan the wilton pan? Mine has a metal piece attached to the head to stand the duck on. Let me know how it turns out.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:02am
post #8 of 13

You could also just put some foil to cover the hole and bake 2 halves and trim after baking and stick them together with icing and 2 shieshkebabsticks (sp) at an angle to hold the cake together. That way, no more lopsided cake, instead you have two perfect halves (similar to the soccerball pan)

MissLady85 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:57am
post #9 of 13

(yes this is a Wilton pan) Ok both verry good ideas.. but im confused on the foil. Placing the foil outside would let mix excape but if i place the foil inside would i be able to peel it away from the cake? (i dont use many stand up cake pans as you can see)

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:10am
post #10 of 13

you would cover the out side of the pan with the foil so that the mix would not come out. and spray your pans or use the crisco and flour whatever you do. and then you would stick them together with icing.

MissLady85 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:36am
post #11 of 13

Thank you sooo much im going to try that... it seems like that would be the best way to go... Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 13

I have had the same problem with the cake not rising full enough on the one side. the last one I made I covered the little hole with wax paper. when finished baking I removed the cake and then the waxed paper.

The thing didn't want to stay standing straight so I stuck Skewers thru the top of it then told my customer to remove the skewers before serving.

It worked, especially since she was afraid it would fall over before she got it home.

mglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mglover Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:16am
post #13 of 13

Thanks for all the help. I have had the same problem with my rubber ducky cake when using only 1 DH cake mix. I now use 1 cake mix plus approximately 1/4 of another cake mix. It makes a mess (put a cookie sheet under it), but it seems to work better. Just be sure to tie it together with non-nylon string.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%