Cake Stacking Question

Decorating By darkchocolate Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 12:10am by Steady2Hands

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 29

I will be making 10" cake on the bottom (single layer) with two 8" layers on top of that. Then I will have the push in pillars to hold up a 4" cake with a mini wondermold on top of that.

My question is this, can I use an 8" cake plate under my 8" cakes or would it be better to use a cake board?

Thanks,

darkchocolate

28 replies
suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 29

In my limited experience, an 8 inch cake comes out a little less than 8 inches, so I use a 7 inch cardboard under it so it doesn't stick out.

HTH,
Susan

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 29

see, I like the board to stick out a little more than the cake (because yes, the cake itself will shrink a bit) because then you can line the bench scraper up with the board and the turntable, spin, and you're done.

Personally, I would use the 8" cardboard, but I dont see why a cake plate wouldn't work instead.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 29

Good Post!!! thumbs_up.gif

When I stack layers, I use the regular card boards (say under your 8" on top of the 10").
And like Susan stated, cut the card board at least 1/4" in and it won't show, and will sit directly on top of the 10" (on dowels) ready for a border if you wish.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

see, I like the board to stick out a little more than the cake (because yes, the cake itself will shrink a bit) because then you can line the bench scraper up with the board and the turntable, spin, and you're done.

Personally, I would use the 8" cardboard, but I dont see why a cake plate wouldn't work instead.

This is the way I do it too thumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 29

Ditto on what suzylynn58 said~ Your cake board should be smaller then the cake so it doesn't stick out. A cakeboard sticking out takes away the beauty of the cake. No one wants to see boards. 7" cake plate or cardboard under a 8" cake~ I always do 1" smaller. Make sure you cover the cakeboard, it will soak up the icing & could get soft & not hold the cake up~

KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Ditto on what suzylynn58 said~ Your cake board should be smaller then the cake so it doesn't stick out. A cakeboard sticking out takes away the beauty of the cake. No one wants to see boards. 7" cake plate or cardboard under a 8" cake~ I always do 1" smaller. Make sure you cover the cakeboard, it will soak up the icing & could get soft & not hold the cake up~

The cardboards don't stick out in the end... if they peek thru the icing a little then it just gets covered up with a border. icon_smile.gif

And I don't cover my boards either - I have never had a problem with this (and I bake from scratch, use simple syrup, and lots of mousses - so very moist cakes) so it seems like a waste of time and effort to me.

darkchocolate Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 29

Thank you for all of your responses. My only problem now is that I have never seen a 7" cake board. I just bought cake boards and they only sold, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14" boards. I wanted a 9" board and was specifically looking for the odd size boards.

Where do you find 7" or any odd size board for that matter?

darkchocolate

mjs4492 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 29

darkchocolate:
Outline your pan (I guess the 8" pan) on the 9" or 8" card board and cut it out cutting it to the diameter you choose. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

darkchocolate Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 29

Now after reading all the post, I will have to cut my 8" cake board smaller (I think anyway) because the cake will be covered in fondant and I won't have any frosting to cover up the excess board or plate, right?

darkchocolate

KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 29

The buttercream layer under the fondant will cover the board unless its way larger.

tcturtleshell Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 29

IMHO covering is not a waste of time when you can avoid a disaster~ thumbs_up.gif The board could get soft & buckle. Making the cake unlevel or sink. Everyone is different but I don't take that chance. icon_wink.gif I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I have seen a lot of cakes with the boards sticking out & it looks tacky & un-professional. thumbsdown.gif Now if your saying the icing covers the board up & you don't see the board then yeah, that's cool. But being able to see the board isn't pretty~ icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 29

You have to have a board smaller when you are covering with fondant~ Cut your board a little smaller but I cut them 1" smaller. I usually cut the fondant even with the bottom of the cake. It will work out darkchocolate! icon_smile.gif

darkchocolate Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 29

tcturtleshell, thank you for your help. I understand what you are saying and I agree, that I need a smaller board especially with having a fondant covered cake. My cake is for April 28th and I will post pictures.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and help, this is such a great board
!

darkchocolate

KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:58am
post #15 of 29

I have done over 170 wedding cakes in the past 2 years without issue and haven't wrapped a single board (tho always use at least 2 for tiered cakes). I also just use the same sized board as the cake for both fondant and buttercream cakes - but then again I do a full coating of buttercream under the fondant. They don't show at all. To each his own, I guess icon_smile.gif

cakenbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenbake Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:15am
post #16 of 29

I always cut my board a little bigger but I have to admit I have had issues covering it once it is placed. My question though is do you smooth ice your cake after you stack it then? I have always needed the edge of cardboard to hold while icing or basketweaveing the cake and then placing it.

KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:04am
post #17 of 29

I smooth ice each cake as it sits on the turntable and never see the edge of that cardboard again. To move the cake I slide my spat underneath, lift it up, and put my whole hand underneath; reverse to set it down again or stack onto the next cake. After each layer gets done I chill it which makes them a lot easier to move all the next times (SMBC).

cakenbake Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:12am
post #18 of 29

so do you set it down with the spatula and then slid it out? What kind of spatula are you talking about? A regular off set spatula for icing or a kitchen flipper type (like the techinical term :O). I guess the chilling would help prevent the indentions.

KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:30am
post #19 of 29

Long, flat icing spatula. When you are moving the cake to a hard surface (like NOT another cake) then you can actually push the spat downwards as you pull it out and it won't mar your cake at all. When I'm going onto another cake, I don't push down just pull straight out - just make sure there isn't pressure upwards or it will ding your edge once it comes off the cardboard.

mjs4492 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:40am
post #20 of 29

You can use a large angled (or straight) spatula or any size according to the size cake your doing. You can also use a cookie spatula.

I too was taught to cut the cake boards smaller (at least 1/4") than the cake when stacking. I cover mine also with Reynolds white freezer wrap (shining side down against the board). I used to use wax paper and had issues with the cake making some mess on the wax paper. I used to not cover them at all when I first started using fondant (cake against a fondant covered cake board) until I found this site!!! Sometimes the cake did make a mess on the fondant cake board.
Never thought about card board being against a cake that goes in your mouth.....

And yes, to each his own.... Alot of it in my opinion also has to do with the weather where you live. Here in Alabama, pound cakes are about the only ones that you really won't have an issue with as far as oils, etc. seeping onto your cake boards.

KoryAK:
please post some of your wedding cakes!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:51am
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs4492

Never thought about card board being against a cake that goes in your mouth.....

Are you saying that's a bad thing? I can't recall ever seeing a wrapped board from a bakery cake in my life (and i'm almost 50).

I dont' cover boards between layers or tiers, but I always use a cardboard AND a plastic plate between layers/tiers. If it's a one layer shower or birthday, I will cover the board if it's not a wax-coated board simply for presentation purposes .... I don't want it to show any grease stains from the icing on the board.

mjs4492 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:54am
post #22 of 29

I'm almost 50 too and no I've never seen wrapped cake boards from bakery cakes either.
I read this tip here on CC and on Earlene's website and it made sense to me - as you said, grease spots, etc. on the boards.

tcturtleshell Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:48pm
post #23 of 29

Makes sense to me too mjs~ I just cover my boards because of the grease causing the board to get too soft & sanitary reason. The bakeries might not cover them but I do. thumbs_up.gif

I stack my cakes differently. Here's how I do it~ I don't push my dowels all the way into the bottom cake. I leave them sticking out about 2 inches. I sit the top cake (by holding the cake by the bottom of it) on top of the dowels (that are in the bottom cake) where I want it to be & then let go. The weight of the cake pushes the dowels slowly into the bottom cake. I don't have to worry about fingers or spatulas ruining my pretty cake. icon_wink.gif It works like a charm everytime~ I used to do the spatula thing but you can very easily get the balance wrong when holding the cake with the spatula (it's happened to me thumbsdown.gif ) & then you have another disaster~ That's just my routine. If it helps someone I am glad to share
icon_smile.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:11pm
post #24 of 29

I love the tip about not pushing the dowels all the way down- I've never heard of it before. It seems I always knock up my buttercream on stacked cakes. I'm gonna try this next time! Good tip!

-Michelle

mjs4492 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 7:05pm
post #25 of 29

tcturtleshell:
very good tip!! thumbs_up.gif
Now I can only assume that you have measured the bottom tier and cut the dowels already? What keeps them from dropping into the ready-made holes before you place the top layer on them? Unless you don't poke the dowel into the bottom tier to measure where to cut the dowel?
I've got to try this because as you said, I'm tired of spatula marks and finger marks on the bottom tier. Especially hard for me on buttercream cakes! icon_cry.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:10am
post #26 of 29

mjs4492,
Yep, I measure the bottom tier and have the dowels cut already. I only put one dowel into the cake to get the measurement I need. Then I cut all the other dowels the same length. I use plastic dowels mostly but I do use the wooden dowels too. I keep the 2" sticking out I don't push it all the way down. I let the weight of the cake push the dowels down. You can easily set the cake on the dowels & remove your fingers before the cake settles down pushing the dowels in. You don't have to drop the cake & remove fingers quickly, you have some time before gravity kicks in. icon_wink.gif Once you try this you will never do it any other way I promise! It's so easy. Your hands never touch the cake. Your touching the cake board only. Let me know if it works for you guys! thumbs_up.gif I hope I explained it good enough~

cakenbake Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:20am
post #27 of 29

Turtle Shell Cakes you are SOO clever! That is a GREAT tip! That is exactly what happens to me I try to drop fast and well the rest is history. I have 3 cakes in the next few days. All 3 are stacked so I will put this to the test. I LOVE CC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tcturtleshell Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:26am
post #28 of 29

Awww thanks cakenbake~ BTW... I LOVE your name!! thumbs_up.gif Now that's CLEVER!! I can't take all the credit for that tip because I probably learned it from CC myself! I read all kinds of tips.. some good, some not soo good but I always try tips~ When I find one that I like I have to share it! thumbs_up.gif Let me know how it works out for you please~ icon_smile.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:10am
post #29 of 29

Oh my gosh turtleshell that has got to be the best tip I have heard in a while. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! party.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%