What Can I Use As A Dummy??

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 13 Apr 2007 , 1:25am by 29apr00

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 21

I can't be botherd to make a cake this week for class, after 3 cakes this weekend for Easter, espically since i am positive no one will eat the fondant covered thing.

What exactly is a dummy, and can i find one at hobby loby or michaels??

20 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 21

a dummy is styrofoam shaped like a cake round or square. I live in Canada so I can't say whether Michael's or Hobby Lobby carry them.

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 21

Micheal's doesn't carry cake dummies where I live and I don't know about Hobby lobby. I have used an inverted cake pan as a dummy in a pinch and no one noticed and it worked fine. The rolled edge on the top of the pan is the only annoyance, but with a border it's as good as gone.

shipleyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shipleyc Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 21

My Hobby Lobby doesn't carry the dummies, but in the floral section at Hobby Lobby & Wal-Mart they have different size styrafoam pieces that you could probably cut to size.

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 21

I made about 3 a couple of month ago since I couldn't find the dummies. I went to dollar tree and bought 6 (2 per dummy) of the floral styrofoam rings and hot glued 2 together..works like a charm..expecially when you get 3 dummies for $6. They equal out to an 8 inch round cake. They are already covered in plastic when you buy them, leave that plastic on and put some saran wrap or glad press and seal over top of it. That way it will be easy to remove the icing and still keep the styrofoam protected.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 21

I've heard of some members using a hat box as well.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 21

I just ordered some round (6, 8, 10, 12 & 14 inches) and square (6, 8, 10, 12 & 14 inches) on Ebay for only $37.95!!!! And that also included shipping!!!! I can't wait to get them in. Each set was $12.99. That is such a bargain. It's even cheaper them making them your self. If anyone wants to order any, I got them from foamfun on Ebay.

mdtargac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdtargac Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 21

This address has several neat ideas for other things, including Rice Krispies.
http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/CAKEHINTS.htm

Melissa

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 21

For one of my classes I made a batch of rice krispies (see the square present cake with yellow bow in photos) and formed them in my pans. took me about 20 mins until I was ready to "decorate" the cake. I put on my layer of icing and finished the fondant in class.

HTH

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

This address has several neat ideas for other things, including Rice Krispies.
http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.p.....EHINTS.htm

I made the paper mache dummy and it works fine. I simply cover the dummy in saran wrap and then cover in fondant and no-one knows the difference.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 21

I just went by a local foam company and of course if made me curious. I was wondering how easy/price effective foam would be to use as dummies?? It seems like the surface would be tacky enough for icing to adhere to, and simple to cut into any shape?? Currently, they sell giant scrap bags, ( 36" X 36" X 62) which contain every kind of foam-from the really expensive to the really cheap.

So, I called, asking if they would consider doing cake forms and/or sell scraps using a specific type foam; whatever would be cost effective for us, yet be able to withstand the weight of the icing.

They agreed to do it, and are now working out a pricing structure. They will call me with details once they have it figured out. I'll start another thread with the prices and to see how many people would even be remotely interested. If thier pricing is low enough, we would have to give it a few test runs to make sure it works out well.

mdtargac Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 21

There are several foam companies online that make cake dummies and they are very cheap, even with shipping, cheaper than my local cake supply shop. They come in sets or singles and even have the sets for whimsy cakes. I am ordering some soon from Dallas Foam (Texas) to use as supports for a whimsy grooms cake.

Melissa

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 21

www.dallas-foam.com

Has the best prices.
Just ordered:

2 16" round dummies
1 14" round
1 12" round
1 10" round
1 8" round
1 6" round

All that with shipping was $37.00

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 21

I've also used an inverted cake pan as a cake dummy! It worked great and by the time I added the bottom border you couldn't see the "lip" of the pan! I plan to decorate several small sheet pans this week so I'll have some graduation cake designs to promote!

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 21

Great question! I am baking a cake right now JUST so I can take pics to promote my cakes!

So, I went to the dallas foam site and they are cheap! I am going to order the rectangle sizes 11x15 and 12x18 but need to have at least $10 to make an order.

So, I want to get some rounds for a tier cake to practice on. What sizes are most generally ordered? I don't want something too small or big and was thinking of three rounds. So, what sized rounds are best to get???

mdtargac Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 21

For me a 6", 8", 10" are the typical stacked cake sizes I do. So that might be good sizes to have.

Melissa

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:34pm
post #17 of 21

So we have Dummy cakes, but what about dummy frosting and fondant? I simply cannot afford to use my ingredients on practice cakes. Royal icing takes eggs, and I know they don't seem expensive, but even eggs and powdered sugar add up if you make 3 cakes a week to practice on. PLUS, I ran out of people to give my practice cakes to....lol.....My kids get a little testy if there isn't any food in the house. "MOOOMMMMM why did you make a green bean cake??!?! I was gonna eat those!!!" icon_eek.gif

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 3:17am
post #18 of 21

antylucifer that is the funniest phrase Ive ever heard. did your niece or nephew really write that to you!? icon_lol.gif

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 3:30am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizshelli

So we have Dummy cakes, but what about dummy frosting and fondant? I simply cannot afford to use my ingredients on practice cakes. Royal icing takes eggs, and I know they don't seem expensive, but even eggs and powdered sugar add up if you make 3 cakes a week to practice on. PLUS, I ran out of people to give my practice cakes to....lol.....My kids get a little testy if there isn't any food in the house. "MOOOMMMMM why did you make a green bean cake??!?! I was gonna eat those!!!" icon_eek.gif

Hahaha green bean cake! icon_biggrin.gif

About the icing for dummies, I think I've seen that some folks use spackle! But spackle is not exactly cheap, either, is it? Any suggestions out there, because I'd like some ideas, too.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:40pm
post #20 of 21

I am planning on making some dummy cakes for my portfolio next week. I am planning on using some left over buttercream and fondant. I figure that since these cakes are only for pictures and no one is going to eat them, it will be ok to use slightly "expired" icing. Plus, I won't feel like I am just throwing it away since I will be putting it to good use first.

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:25am
post #21 of 21

Thanks for all the help. I ended up using some flower basket foam stuff. The cake didn't turn out well at all. It was HUGE compared to what i should have had, and i had a very hard time trying to get the fondant covered all the way around it. Had to cover lots of mistakes with the flower blossoms. this one is definately going in the disaster file. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%