Mmf

Decorating By shrek Updated 5 Apr 2006 , 11:15pm by srmaxwell

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 9

i know that i've seen this question somewhere here but i cannot find it. my question is when making mmf can we use the marshmallow that is already melted or in a jar or does it have to be regular marshmallows, that we ourselves melt? i can really use the help icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 9

Ive never used the fluff, Ive always used the marshmallows you have to melt!

kkhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkhigh Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 9

years ago, i tried a recipe that used the fluff. i was not impressed. i only made it to use for sculpting figures and found it very droopy. i would suggest using the recipe that involves melting the marshmallows.

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 9

use ONLY name brand mini marshmallows ex:jet-puffed, and only name brand 10x sugar ex:domino. For this recipe it has to be exact due to the consistancy of the marshmallows and the number of times the 10x has been sifted.

When melting the marshmallows in the microwave, remember to put 2tbl water in w/them as this will help the mm from sticking to your wooden spoon. Also, start your temp of the micro on defrost until you notice the mm losing their consistancy then put the dial on low/medium and keep stirring every 15-20 seconds.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 9

I just wanted to let you know that I usually use the wal-mart brand of marshmallows and powdered sugar. I believe it's called Great Value. I haven't had any problems using them.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 9

I also use the generic Wal Mart brand powdered sugar and marshamallows and I've never had a problem. I do, however, sift my sugar as I add it to the marshmallows. I have found that it decreases my kneading time due to the fact that I get less lumps of sugar in the fondant that need to be worked out.

srmaxwell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srmaxwell Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 9

I have used the great value sugar with good results as far as consistency goes. However, I have to say my mmf had a strange taste to it. At first I thought I had left something out even though I make it all the time. I tried again and same thing. Weird taste. I have no problem with the great value marshmallows. I use those all the time and the taste is fine. I use the 5 lb. bags of powdered sugar from Sam's Club. It comes in a bag and it NEVER has lumps. I have never sifted it once and never had a lump clog my decorator tip or anything but silky smooth mmf. It also tastes wonderful. I thought it might be me so I taste tested both on friends and family and it was no contest. Every single time I use another bagged sugar without sifting I get clogs in my decorator tips. Without fail. I have gotten so frustrated I have thrown out entire double batches of frosting.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 9

I just made MMF for the first time today, right now it is wrapped up and resting overnite as I don't need it right away. My question is, what can be added to give it more of a sheen......just using shortening on my hands and board?

deb

srmaxwell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srmaxwell Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 9

Deb, exactly. the more crisco you use on your hands the more sheet it will have. Also, I have realized that mmf hardens a lot more than commercial fondant - even wrapped up. So, don't be discouraged tomorrow if it feels really hard. If you just keep working it , it will soften up. Lots of exercise for the hands! I quit making mine ahead of time and make it just as I need to use it since it is so quick and easy to make. If you have a roul-pat or silipat mat this is the time to use it! If not and you are going to use mmf much, you should get one. Best investment ever. I have one of each and prefer the roul-pat because it has silicone on both sides. Even with that I have to use a very tiny amount of crisco. But you can roll your fondant out on that mat and then pick it up, the mmf sticks. turn it over fondant down onto your cake and then get a corner of the mmf and peel slowly off the mat like a sticker. Works beautifully, creates a fabulous sheen from the crisco on the mat AND you don't leave any stretch marks or finger prints in your fondant. I have been doing cakes for years and it is the single most necessary object in my kitchen besides my kitchen-aid and rolling pin. Linens and things and BBand beyond sell them. good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%