How Long Does It Take For Royal Icing To Dry?

Decorating By BCo Updated 5 Apr 2006 , 5:53pm by BCo

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 8

I have to make a cake for Friday - I was going to try to make royal icing $$$ dollar signs (customers request) attached to wires to stick out of the middle of the cake. First of all - can this be done? I see cakes all the time with stars/hearts/etc. on wires sticking up out of the middle of cakes and was wondering if that can be done in royal icing? So the other question is how long does it take for it to dry? Would I be able to make them tonight and have them dry by tomorrow night or at the latest Friday morning?

Thanks for your help!

7 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

i'm not sure if you can do that with royal icing, but if you use it, it should be dry by tomorrow. icon_lol.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 8

It will depend on how thick you make them and also on how humid it is in your house. If it's really humid, do expect some extra drying time.
But if you make them today I would definetely say they should be dry in time...make sure to make a couple of extras in case of breakage.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 8

Give it atleast a good 24 hours to dry....that stuff will last forever!!!! Don't forget to put that wire in there while they're still wet. icon_smile.gif

And, don't forget to make extras, you never know how many will break.

Also, make sure you use strong enough wire.

Good Luck and let us see the cake when you're done!! icon_biggrin.gif

BCo Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks guys- I can only imagine how this is going to turn out - Oh, how I love the stress!! LOL - I've never used royal icing before -so this should be quite the experience!! Plus I've spread myself way too thin this week with all the other events in my life and I will be pulling an all nighter probably with this one!!! The only other thing that scares me is that my BF has to take it with him to work and if any of them get damaged or break he won't care and won't take the time to fix it! LOL - I'll worry about it all day!! icon_surprised.gif So I will take a "Before" picture when I'm done so I have proof that it looked good when it left the house! Because his thinking is "it's JUST CAKE"!!! And of course WE all know it's WAY more then that! icon_lol.gif Thanks again -

COLIEB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
COLIEB Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 8

In my house, royal icing flowers take like 3 days to harden completely. Just some FYI.

Nicole

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 8

Gee, I just checked out the photos of some of your cakes. Don't stress out, you do great work. All will be well.

BCo Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks- I really should probably be doing a sheet cake b/c they need to feed 30 ppl - but I am so not creative with sheet cakes- I need to get over that somehow. And I don't know about any of you but when I read that a pan size is supposed to serve "X" amount of people I always cut that in half - Everyone I know never eats a 1"x2" piece of cake - not even my kids!!! LOL So I usually have to double the size cake I make in order to really feed everyone. I would hate for anyone to be short on cake!! icon_wink.gif Just my observation - just wondered if it was just me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%