Ick!! Store Bought Cake!

Decorating By sweetness_221 Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 1:20pm by bethola

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:02am
post #1 of 34

I used to be the kind of person that liked store bought cakes. That was before I started making my own. My DD had her 3rd Birthday last week and for her party I made her a scooby ccc. (Will post pictures later) Anyways on her actual birthday on Thursday I did not have time to make her a cake so I just bought one from the store. I know, I know, I should have just made one anyways. Well I started to eat a piece of it and OMG it was nasty! It was a marble cake with BC frosting. The cake was very dry and heavy and the BC had a funny chemical taste to it. My kids had no problem with it, but I just couldn't eat it. It was horrible. Lesson learned. No more store bought cakes EVER!!

33 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:22am
post #2 of 34

Hahaha! Welcome to the Cake Snob club! icon_biggrin.gif We welcome all new members. icon_smile.gif

My palate for store-bought cake has changed very drastically too. Nothing's as good as homemade! icon_smile.gif

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:12am
post #3 of 34

So...did you contact the store and let them know how nasty it was icon_twisted.gif

sweetness_221 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:22am
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

So...did you contact the store and let them know how nasty it was icon_twisted.gif

Nah. I seriously doubt it would make a difference. Especially since it's a chain store. I'm sure they can't really change how they make them. I'll just make my own from now on and know mine are good icon_smile.gif

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:24am
post #5 of 34

A friend of mine (whose sis worked at a grocery store bakery) told me that those cakes could be up to two weeks old. I believe her because my dad ordered my mom a cake for her b-day and it looked like it had been in an earthquake. It had cracked all over the top, and they were going to give it to us like that! I told them to get me some icing and a spatula and I would fix it myself...they said that they couldn't do that and they started to "spackle" it back together....we asked for another cake..and they gave it to us for free.

As to why I didn't make the cake...they never ask me (they think that it's too much trouble for me) and it was the day after Christmas, my mom didn't want the mess in HER kitchen!

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 34

My MIL used to work in a grocery store bakery and they got all their cakes in prebaked in cardboard boxes that were wrapped in saran wrap then frozen for who knows how long. They were so dry and crumbly that they had a hard time icing them. I know they sell a lot of cakes but I think Quality over Quantity gets you a lot farther!! Just my opinion!!
Carrie

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 34

I am the same way...I used to think that the store cakes were so cute. Now I see all the mistakes and I know that I could do much better and it would taste better too!! I told my family they better never buy another store cake again!!! icon_lol.gif

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Hahaha! Welcome to the Cake Snob club! icon_biggrin.gif We welcome all new members. icon_smile.gif

My palate for store-bought cake has changed very drastically too. Nothing's as good as homemade! icon_smile.gif

I've joined the club! icon_lol.gif I used to think the cakes were so good, decorating and taste wise. icon_confused.gif Not any more. I still have a lot to learn but, now I see how sloppy they are. Not to mention the difference in taste and texture.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 34

I have to admit that sometimes I crave their really bad icing. It's sooo sweet! icon_redface.gif It's kinda like a homemade BBQ burger and a big mac - sometimes you just need the big mac!

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 34

Okay I am in the cake snob club as well! icon_biggrin.gif I even find myself having a hard time eating the little home made canned frostingfrosted and sprinkled birthday cakes that some "non-decorators" serve at their parties. Yuck! thumbsdown.gif

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 34

I've joined the club, store bought just doesn't cut it in my house anymore! I'd rather be called a Cake Snob then eat nasty cake! he! he!

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by girltrapped

Okay I am in the cake snob club as well! icon_biggrin.gif I even find myself having a hard time eating the little home made canned frostingfrosted and sprinkled birthday cakes that some "non-decorators" serve at their parties. Yuck! thumbsdown.gif

I'm in the CSC (Cake Snob Club) king.gif also, Oh the canned frosting is awful. detective.gif

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 34

we had store bought cake at work today, and this was the first time I realized how good home made cakes really taste icon_smile.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 34

I'm a Cake Snob Club member, too!! king.gif I used to LOVE store bought cake!! I'd get it every now and then for a special treat! I did that about 6 months ago, and I was soooooo disappointed! icon_sad.gif On one hand, I had ruined my "special treat", but on the other hand....... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I can make REALLLLLLLL special treats anytime I want!--we'll have to discuss my weight issues another time. shhh.gif

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:49pm
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutcher

I can make REALLLLLLLL special treats anytime I want!--we'll have to discuss my weight issues another time. shhh.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:05pm
post #16 of 34

the only store bought cake I like is the Baskin Robins cakes. They are so yummy! icon_wink.gif

EYE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EYE Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:08pm
post #17 of 34

I need to join the club. I had some of a grocery store cake at work and their cakes have gotten horrible!! This from a person who never saw a sugar treat that I passed up!! The icing tastes like a tub of lard. icon_eek.gif Many people have commented on this development.

My sister and I have made a few cakes for freinds and co-workers and I KNOW they were a thousand times better that the store bought ones! As I also have low self esteem this is a major statement!

Thanks everybody for your postings. I usually just read all of your posts. So as long as I am here I want to thank you for the wonderful hints, tips, recipes and comments. Even the venting can be funny (we have all had to deal with insane customers!). icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks again,
Eye

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:27pm
post #18 of 34

Welcom Eye!

I too use to love store bought cakes, now they make me gag! So I guess I'm a member too of the CSC!! It feels good to be in a club! icon_lol.gif

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:39pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by girltrapped

Okay, so i'll join too, I ditto the above quote! icon_lol.gif

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:49pm
post #20 of 34

i used to work at IGA ( now sobeys). the bakers would bake a bunch of cakes on the "slow" days and then freeze them. sometimes they would sit for months!!!!! then if we had an order we were tought to spray the cakes with a little sugar water to " freshen" them up...ewwwwwww!!!!! i have never ever boughten a store cake, and i refuse to eat them!!!!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:50pm
post #21 of 34

Okay, I guess that makes ma a cake uber-snob. I don't eat store bought cake. I don't eat cake from a box. I don't eat icing with shortening, and I don't eat anything with artificial colors or flavors ( butavan, creme bouquet, clear vanilla). It all tastes awful to me.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:51pm
post #22 of 34

I definitely think that store bought cakes have their place...but it sounds like I'm lucky because in my area the grocery stores make their cakes fresh. And a lot of them are beautifully decorated, not always the typical generic looking cakes with the crusty roses. Not saying they're as good as homemade because it's hard to find any store bought food that is...just saying some stores are probably better than others.
Crissy usaribbon.gif

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:53pm
post #23 of 34

I can't stand store bought cakes, but I am still a sucker for the canned frosting. Only this is I don't like the frosting on cakes anymore, I just open the can and eat it with a spoon and a glass of milk. I know its pitiful

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:53pm
post #24 of 34

It's so true about the freezing of the cakes for months. I worked at our local grocery store bakery and alot of times, all we had to to was write on the cake. They already had frosting, borders, and roses on them. For the "custom" cakes, we took out a plainly iced one from the freezer and put on borders, did a little airbrushed background and stuck toys on them. The icing really was terrible and they had some gross pudding stuff between the layers. The manager said that was to keep the cakes moist.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:04pm
post #25 of 34

Okay, guys....get the cake balls ready to throw! LOLL I actually like our local WalMart cakes. I know the people in the bakery personally (clean, nice, etc.) and they have always been really helpful to me with my edible images, etc. I have never eaten one that tasted freezer burned, etc. Okay, I do HATE the sugar free whipped icing.....it's YUK-KY! But, the REAL stuff is okay.

Yes, I like MY cakes and MY icings better, but, I'm not opposed to eating a store bought cake. Sometimes, esp. when I'm VERY TIRED....I'm HAPPY to get to relax and be just a guest that gets to eat The WalMart cake! LOL

I'm dodging cake balls even as I type! LOL

Beth in KY

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:37pm
post #26 of 34

I agree, all though I do enjoy homemade cakes better, I can eat a store bought cake like at work or birthday parties etc...but I know I won't spend anymore of my money on them. And also to whoever said they like baskin robin's cakes...I do too...One of these days Im gonna try and make my own ice cream cake.

sweetness_221 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:40am
post #27 of 34

Ooooohhhh!! I like ice cream cakes from baskin robbins. My absolute fave is made with their chocolate chip ice cream. Yuuuummmyyy!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:58am
post #28 of 34

Oh yeah, Baskin Robbins cakes rule. icon_biggrin.gif Mint chocolate chip is my fave!

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:03am
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

Okay, guys....get the cake balls ready to throw! LOLL I actually like our local WalMart cakes. I know the people in the bakery personally (clean, nice, etc.) and they have always been really helpful to me with my edible images, etc. I have never eaten one that tasted freezer burned, etc. Okay, I do HATE the sugar free whipped icing.....it's YUK-KY! But, the REAL stuff is okay.

Yes, I like MY cakes and MY icings better, but, I'm not opposed to eating a store bought cake. Sometimes, esp. when I'm VERY TIRED....I'm HAPPY to get to relax and be just a guest that gets to eat The WalMart cake! LOL

I'm dodging cake balls even as I type! LOL

Beth in KY

LOL, I'm not going to throw cake balls at you. Well I know that some Wal-mart's bake there own cakes because I have seen them. I don't know if it's just special orders or maybe just certain stores.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:10am
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramski

I can't stand store bought cakes, but I am still a sucker for the canned frosting. Only this is I don't like the frosting on cakes anymore, I just open the can and eat it with a spoon and a glass of milk. I know its pitiful

mmmmmmmm cannneedddd frosting thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I can eat it by the spoonful also

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%