Food Network Arwards Cake

Lounge By Cake_Mooma Updated 21 Apr 2007 , 9:17pm by sweetbaker

smolie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smolie6 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:30am
post #91 of 117

I find all the input on this subject quite interesting. In the end it must be said that any show involving cake is a good thing.Like the challenge series or not but consider the things you might of missed or not have learned if it never aired.Of course its not perfect but it only increases the public awarness of our craft, another good thing.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:58pm
post #92 of 117

wow, now I wish I'd have seen that show just to know exactly what's going on...

oh well, they do tend to show re-runs aloticon_wink.gif

I too wish they had a show on there that's more instructive and not all drama about decorating. These challenges and Duff's show are basically the only bit of cake decorating we get to see on the food network. There are so many other shows with food...why not have a decorator with a show where she shows us how to do different project cakes? They could show us stringwork, gumpaste figures, cake sculptures, etc etc...

I know I'd watch thumbs_up.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:08pm
post #93 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

wow, now I wish I'd have seen that show just to know exactly what's going on...

oh well, they do tend to show re-runs aloticon_wink.gif

I too wish they had a show on there that's more instructive and not all drama about decorating. These challenges and Duff's show are basically the only bit of cake decorating we get to see on the food network. There are so many other shows with food...why not have a decorator with a show where she shows us how to do different project cakes? They could show us stringwork, gumpaste figures, cake sculptures, etc etc...

I know I'd watch thumbs_up.gif

DEFINITELY! Remember Jacques Torres? I LOVED his show. You got to see him to all sorts of WONDERFUL things with chocolate and sugar! I wish they would bring him back!

Beth in KY

LaSombra Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:15pm
post #94 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

DEFINITELY! Remember Jacques Torres? I LOVED his show. You got to see him to all sorts of WONDERFUL things with chocolate and sugar! I wish they would bring him back!

Beth in KY

That must've been before I was into cake decorating icon_sad.gif

yeah, they could also teach pulled-sugar and other sugar art. I'd still be just as interested. Maybe we should all write to food network and ask them to have a show icon_lol.gif

mommakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakescakes Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:38pm
post #95 of 117
Quote:
Quote:

yeah, they could also teach pulled-sugar and other sugar art. I'd still be just as interested. Maybe we should all write to food network and ask them to have a show

I already did write them asking for an instructional show on making and decorating cakes. There are a lot of us that would like to learn while being entertained. Please! everybody get busy and email them. Maybe if they get enough emails with the same request we will get a show. TIA Everybody. icon_smile.gif

bethola Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:08pm
post #96 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakescakes

Quote:
Quote:

yeah, they could also teach pulled-sugar and other sugar art. I'd still be just as interested. Maybe we should all write to food network and ask them to have a show

I already did write them asking for an instructional show on making and decorating cakes. There are a lot of us that would like to learn while being entertained. Please! everybody get busy and email them. Maybe if they get enough emails with the same request we will get a show. TIA Everybody. icon_smile.gif

DONE!!

Beth in KY

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:16pm
post #97 of 117

Watched the show on Sunday night and really enjoyed it. I shed a tear when the other decorators helped move Colette's cake to the table (I'm pregnant and weepy!).

I think the problem with what people see as Colette's "attitude" is more to do with editing than reality. I took a class with her last year and found her to be a really nice person and very enthusiastic about cake-decorating. She had the opportunity to show slides of her work at the Arts Center where the class was being held and people were astounded and delighted by the things she'd done with cake (the audience consisting of people studying woodwork, metalwork, jewelry-making, paper arts). I never got the feeling from her that she thought she or her work was better than anyone else..she was really enjoying sharing her stuff with us.

The incident where she seemed confounded about the mini-replica of her award-winning cake being on top of Bronwyn's design..i think it was more her confusion about where they were going with it and why they were using her cake.

After reading Marina's post, the stress of the competition made a lot more sense. I certainly don't think Colette went into the competition with anything more than a desire to win. Truly, i got the feeling from watching the show that she was as much concerned about not taking over the whole thing from her team member and thought she seemed uncomfortable when she had to instruct the woman she was working with.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I loved the show..lots of suspense..and thought all of the competitors did an amazing job, especially now hearing the "backstory" behind the competition.
And Colette rocks!

Cindy

LaSombra Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:28pm
post #98 of 117

on a side note, does anyone else think it's rather ridiculous, the whole idea of having to move a huge cake over to a table? They say it's because if it were a real cake, they'd have to move it etc...but I know that when I deliver a cake, I try to assemble it at the site and add the bottom borders there. People love to watch the cake decorator doing final finishing touches anywayicon_smile.gif

bethola Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:34pm
post #99 of 117

TOTALLY AGREE LaSombra! I think that everytime they say..."The cake has to be delivered so they have to make the cake so it is STABLE enough for delivery." Okay, I assemble ON SITE PEOPLE!!

Other than Duff (and I think the flamingo episode speaks for itself! LOL) how many others of us are going to assemble a cake like ANY of these competitors on the Award Cake Challenge, slide it into a delivery van and DRIVE IT anywhere?

It also makes me sooooo sad to see the sugar pieces literally crumble when they move them. I know, I know, it's a suspense factor. I say....to heck with suspense!!! Let's leave it where it is and enjoy the competition of CREATING not MOVING!!

Beth in KY

LaSombra Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:46pm
post #100 of 117
Quote:

TOTALLY AGREE LaSombra! I think that everytime they say..."The cake has to be delivered so they have to make the cake so it is STABLE enough for delivery." Okay, I assemble ON SITE PEOPLE!!

Other than Duff (and I think the flamingo episode speaks for itself! LOL) how many others of us are going to assemble a cake like ANY of these competitors on the Award Cake Challenge, slide it into a delivery van and DRIVE IT anywhere?

It also makes me sooooo sad to see the sugar pieces literally crumble when they move them. I know, I know, it's a suspense factor. I say....to heck with suspense!!! Let's leave it where it is and enjoy the competition of CREATING not MOVING!!

Beth in KY

oh I know! Sure, they probably get ratings because of that suspense factor. There's a reason why Die Hard is such a popular movie icon_rolleyes.gif

but it truly is a shame when those sugar artworks crumble. There was one competition where they actually had to deliver the artwork through an obstacle course. That was crazy and IMO dumb. They actually didn't have many disasters on that episode and they haven't run any more like that either icon_wink.gif

bethola Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:59pm
post #101 of 117

Okay, I SAW that obstacle course episode and being a retired nurse all I could think was "THIS IS A SAFETY HAZARD!!!!!"

Beth

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 8:13pm
post #102 of 117

There are several shows on DIY that show actual technique!

When they did the four challenges here back to back they made the decision not to move them.

bethola Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 8:17pm
post #103 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

When they did the four challenges here back to back they made the decision not to move them.

They did those at Mall of America, right? Didn't they do the "Tallest Sugar Sculpture" there?

Beth

moydear77 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:00pm
post #104 of 117
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

They did those at Mall of America, right? Didn't they do the "Tallest Sugar Sculpture" there?

Beth

Yes they did Sugar Skyscrapers, Cereal skyline, Pizza and Candy Castles. I did a mini challenge that never made it to air!

bethola Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:08am
post #105 of 117

I saw ALL of those! Too bad the mini challenge didn't make it...what happened? What was the challenge?

It was sad what happened to the lady that won the Candy Castle Challenge. She seemed like a really neat "grandma"!

Beth in KY

moydear77 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:10am
post #106 of 117

Susan was one of my mentors. I met her in Tulsa the year before. I went to her service.

I tried to break the world record for tallest sugar cube tower! just sugar cubes nothing else.

bethola Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:24am
post #107 of 117

You'll get 'em NEXT TIME!! Let us know when you enter another one because I for one will want to make SURE I watch!!

Beth in KY

moydear77 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:28am
post #108 of 117
Quote:

You'll get 'em NEXT TIME!! Let us know when you enter another one because I for one will want to make SURE I watch!!

Beth in KY

I am doing a photo shoot for my embroidered rose next week for American Cake Decorating Magazine!

bethola Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 2:23am
post #109 of 117

ALRIGHT!!! I'll look forward to seeing it! I'm a subscriber!!

WAY TO GO!

Beth in KY

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:00pm
post #110 of 117

I sent an email to the Food Network Challenge Show but is there a main Food Network email?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:33pm
post #111 of 117

WOW there are a lot of posts on this! I didn't get to see the entire show but I got to see the finished cakes!

Marina I LOVED the TV idea that you incorporated into the cake! Very cool!!

I am in awe of Bronwyn & Marina's cakes. I just totally can't understand how they supported the cakes...... but they were absolutely fabulous. I would LOVE to spend a day just watching them - I'd love to go to one of the Food Network challenges so I could watch the entire thing - I'd watch all 8 hours! Or I'd love to sit in one of their shops and watch...

Does Bronwyn still teach at a University? I thought I read or heard somewhere a while back that she did.... I wanna go there!!!

And oh my gosh Bronwyn is too cute for words! You just wanna give her a big hug - I LOVED when she went to Colette's table to help move her cake! I liked Colette's design but I was so glad that Marina & Bronwyn won. It just made me so happy to see everyone pitch in to move that cake icon_smile.gif Shows how great cake decorators are! Willing to help each other out.....

I've really been impressed by Bronwyn & Marina. Every cake they do I am amazed. Okay I need to sign up for pastry school!

Oh BTW - I REALLY miss Jacques Torres too! I wish I could go to the French Culinary Institute. THat would be AWESOME!

sweetbaker Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:44pm
post #112 of 117
Quote:
Quote:

Does Bronwyn still teach at a University? I thought I read or heard somewhere a while back that she did.... I wanna go there!!!

I don't think so. Here is where you can contact her and see her work.

www.frostedart.com

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:17pm
post #113 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaker

Quote:
Quote:

www.frostedart.com

did you see the 'create-a-cake' on her site? so cute! her site is great!

LaSombra Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:34pm
post #114 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaker

Quote:
Quote:

www.frostedart.com

did you see the 'create-a-cake' on her site? so cute! her site is great!

I was playing around with it icon_cool.gif It was fun!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 6:36pm
post #115 of 117

[quote="imartsy"]

And oh my gosh Bronwyn is too cute for words! You just wanna give her a big hug - I LOVED when she went to Colette's table to help move her cake! I liked Colette's design but I was so glad that Marina & Bronwyn won. It just made me so happy to see everyone pitch in to move that cake icon_smile.gif Shows how great cake decorators are! Willing to help each other out.....

quote]

I just finished watching and that is how I felt. She seems so spirited and positive. It was really selfless of everyone to pitch in.

I really liked Marina and Courtney's cake the best, they did an amazing job. They all did. I did think Colette was kind of a poor sport. I dont know if it was the editing, but it kind of shed poor light on the whole team. I felt really bad for the chocopan lady.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:23pm
post #116 of 117
Quote:
Quote:

I really liked Marina and Courtney's cake the best, they did an amazing job. They all did. I did think Colette was kind of a poor sport. I dont know if it was the editing, but it kind of shed poor light on the whole team. I felt really bad for the chocopan lady.

Oooh I forgot to comment on this!

Let me let everyone in on a little secret - don't believe everything you see on TV. Marina was right. Now I don't think the Food Network is evil or anything but if a TV company wants to make a story or controversy - they can do it out of nothing.

I worked for a start-up network marketing company. The owner had previously worked in another company and left b/c of the bad reputation of that company and b/c he wasn't getting paid, people were getting screwed, etc......

Well this smart-aleck local news reporter decided to say that our company was a continuation of this previous company (he only worked as a salesman - he had nothing to do w/ company policy or procedures or payments). In the report he also went on to misrepresent facts, edit people's comments to make it sound like they said something completely different (in fact they had hidden video and they actually used the closed captioning to completely change the statement the person was making), and they edited & had "bad acting" to make things look completely different then what they were...... Basically they made a story up b/c there wasn't a story there..... the President of the company actually met with them for over an hour explaining policies, etc. and I handed them at least 20 sheets printed out from the Internet describing what network marketing really was, some of our policies & procedures, backup data on the products we were selling, etc. - They used about 3 seconds of all of that. They made the company out to look bad and b/c we didn't have access to our own TV station or mass media so we could tell our side, it ruined the company.

Now when I see people say "no comment", my first impulse isn't "ooh they're guilty!" It's "Good For Them!" B/c you never know how things will be edited to make the story "more interesting". I also don't watch a lot of news programs and stuff and I don't believe most of the stuff that comes out on celebrities b/c I know how images can be changed & manipulated, and so can quotes, sound bites, etc.... to make something completely different from the truth. It also happens a ton on Reality TV - if the producers want to make someone out to be the nasty girl, they'll find clips and manipulate it to make her seem like the nastiest girl. Or if they want to make someone look like a slut they'll find every little flirty thing the person may have done over a 3 month period and put it all together so it looks like it happened all at once and the girl looks really slutty.

It's sad. I used to think reporters had integrity and reported the truth - through my experience though, I found out that while some reporters out there may still have truth in reporting & integrity, there are a lot out there trying to make a career for themselves and they'll just make something up if there's no real story there.

Okay I went on way too long about this sorry! Just wanted to say don't automatically believe what you see is what really happened![/quote]

sweetbaker Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:17pm
post #117 of 117

Good point, Thanks imartsy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%