Help My Flower Pot Is Falling Over!!!

Decorating By skeeters Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 12:25pm by SweetResults

skeeters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeeters Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 7

I made a violet flower pot cake for my mom. I assembled the whole thing yesterday and was proud of myself. I posted the pic and was feeling good about it. I went to bed and this morning when I got up and looked at it it was falling over. What did I do wrong. I fallowed the directions from the article "baby in a flower pot" I just changed it to 1 8 in and 2 6 in chocolate cakes. What do I do. the party is this after noon and I still have to get it to their house which is an hour away. I am so crushed I worked on it all week doing different things for it.

If anyone can help I would greatly appriciate it.

TIA

Jacque

PS look at my photos and you can see the cake as it was last night.

6 replies
DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 7

any chance you could quick post a photo of what it looks like now? Might be easier for us to identify & help resolve your problem.

Before I saw the photo I would have suggested a sharpened dowel driven down through the cake and sunk into your base board to anchor it. But looking at your setup that wouldn't work.

Try to post a photo if you can!

btw - it's a beautiful cake! nice work!

skeeters Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 7

ok i am going to try to attach a photo. you will see that there is a coffee cup on the side and a rod through the middle. I am tring to keep it upright.
Thanks again

Jac

ok i cant get it to go on here so i will put it on the main page. so look in my photo again

skeeters Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 7

ok i cant get it to upload. i will have to try again later. my dh is waiting on me so we can get to church. I will just us this as a learning experience and will try to get it uploaded later and figure out what i can do for the next time.

thanks anyway,, you will hear from me again soon

Jacque

skeeters Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:42am
post #5 of 7

ok I tried and tried to upload the pic but it kept giving me an error.

By the time we got back from church the cake was still stand, but I had it proped up. We left and I held the cake on my lap. we had to drive 1 hr. (on of the most stressful hrs of my life.) when we got to my parents house, the pot was now a short stubby pot and the mmf had cracked in the back ( i was glad that it was the back side of the pot)
when I walked into their house i was about in tears but they (parent and sibs) thought i was caring in a plant on a stand. so i guess it still looked good to them. and the importent thing is that it tasted great.

I think part of the problem was that I should have used a denser cake that might have helped.

Thanks
Jacque

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 7

I always forget about the weight of the fondant when doing some of these cakes and think I don't have to dowel the layers since it is only 2 or 3 layers - you'd think I'd learn by now!

Same thing just happened to me with my hockey player - he came out okay, but I went to bed very nervous because he had started to sink!

When you do a heavy fondant type cake, even if it it only 2 layers, you "should" put a cake circle inbetween the layers and support the cake circle with dowels or straws. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, even though I know I should LOL! Sometimes I have no trouble at all, sometimes well.... it is quite nerve-wracking! Sometimes I am amazed that some of the cake I have done even stand at all icon_lol.gif

I feel your pain! But it is still a beautiful cake! The violets are lovely and I think the pot is fine, you did great!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 7

And I LOVE your Bunny But cupcake!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%