Is There A Trick To Getting Bc Frosting White White?? Help!

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 3:39am by projectqueen

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 4:21am
post #1 of 16

Okay, I am getting irritated. Just starting out with the cakes for pay and really want my bc to be WHITE! When I bought a can of the WILTON BC, it was super white but mine is NOT. I follow the wilton BC recipe and use real butter, wilton color free vanilla, crisco that is super white,etc. What gives?

Is there a trick that I don't know yet to get this stuff super white? I saw a post mentioning purple food color. Is this a trick and if so, wher do I go for purple coloring or do I mix it myself? Thanks for helping me out! I am so new at this!

15 replies
shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 5:08am
post #2 of 16

I'm not professional but.... I use all crisco. Instead of using 1/2 butter. And mine is always super white, and it tastes good, just ask my thighs! hehe

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 5:11am
post #3 of 16

using real butter will result in a frosting with a yellow tinge. Americolor has a bright white gel that you can add to it, that might help. i'm not sure how much you need to use. i've heard of using violet to cancel out the yellow to get white, but i haven't tried it myself. i've gotten a nice white frosting when i use an all crisco recipe.

bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 5:14am
post #4 of 16

I have used a dot - a speck on the end of a toothpick - of Wilton's violet gel in my batch of butter cream and it makes it extremely white.

Tolinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tolinda Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 5:14am
post #5 of 16

i' ve heard that you could get your frosting super white by using butter that has no dye in it. i don't know if this would be easy for you to find but its available at most heath food stores. hth

cheftracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftracy Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 5:15am
post #6 of 16

Yes, a small amount of violet will cancel out the yellow. Amazing, but it works. You can get gel colors at your local hobby shops, cake/candy stores as well as wal-mart. Wal-mart has the colors in their cake decorating isle.

Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:24am
post #7 of 16

I use all Crisco bc almost always and add clear flavor like lemon exctract and it's snow white and tastes good. icon_smile.gif

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:39am
post #8 of 16

I use the Americolor white gel with my BC. It works really well and you don't need as much as the Wilton White stuff. I tried the violet mixed in, but I kept adding too much and got violet tinted BC instead of white BC.

youngestdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngestdecorator Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:49am
post #9 of 16

You can use colors but it's so much easier and a little cheaper to make a all crisco BC. The results will be completely white. I've never used butter before so i've never tried the violet color trick, that sounds real interesting.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 7:16am
post #10 of 16

As long as you use regular butter, it will never be pure white. I have never tried the violet trick, but i am sure with the right dose it works like a charm (just makes sense). I am a butter kind of gal (don't like the way crisco sticks to EVERYTHING), so once I start doing cakes that need to be "white" I'm in real trouble. If you have a cake that absolutely needs to be white, Crisco is probably your best pal, or learn to use violet in the right quantitites. I imagine it takes only a miniscule of a dot though, I used violet for some flowers today and it only took a fleck for the violet to show.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 16

I, too, was disappointed when I used butter instead of all shortening. I'll never use the butter again! the shortening recipe is delicious.

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 16

Yup, just use a teeny tiny bit of violet and you're good to go!!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 16

If you use the violet trick- use just a hair's worth. I had lavender cookies this Christmas. OK, they were light lavender- but they were definitely lavender. I used just a bit. Use a very, very, very small amount.

CONFECTIONCONNECTION Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONCONNECTION Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:34pm
post #14 of 16

If you're not opposed to margarine cake supply or GFS sells white margarine then just add clear butter flavoring. hth

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks everyone. So, my recipe calls for 1/2 c crisco and 1/2 c butter. So do I just put in 1 cup of crisco and then add butter flavoring? How much butter flavor? Thanks soooo much!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:39am
post #16 of 16

Yes, that's right, 1 cup of Crisco instead of 1/2 cup of each and you can substitute butter flavor for some of the vanilla flavor.

I think you will find there is quite a taste difference between the two versions, though. Some people swear by the all Crisco version but personally, it's too much Crisco for me. Give it a try and see what you think.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%