Not So Sweet Frosting

Decorating By shkepa Updated 27 Feb 2013 , 3:47am by crustdust

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:48am
post #1 of 23

So how do I make my frosting not so sweet I have been using the wilton recipe but it is really sweet. How can I tone it down???

22 replies
cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:51am
post #2 of 23

I have read on here to use popcorn salt and disolve it before adding it.

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:55am
post #3 of 23

I put in a pinch of popcorn salt every time! Seems to work well.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #4 of 23

maybe you can try adding some different flavors of extracts? i use lemon, almond, vanilla and butter and try to get something not too sweet from a combination of those.

i use the bc dream recipe, though. i've never tried wilton's.

good luck

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:01am
post #5 of 23

I have never heard this tip..........thanks. How did someone even decide to try this in the first place??

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:18am
post #6 of 23

This is my teacher's recipe:

4 cups or 1 lb icing sugar
1 tbsp meringue powder or egg white powder
3 1/2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond
1/2 tbsp lemon
3/4 cup unsalter butter or crisco
1/8 tsp salt

You mix 2 cups icing sugar, with the rest of ingredients except the butter.
Then add the butter, until combined.
Add rest of icing sugar. Mix about 5-10 minutes until smooth.
Everyone loves this recipe, they cant figure out which flavor comes out the most but they all say it's not sweet.

Good Luck.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 23

According to Toba Garrett vanilla extract adds to the sweetness. I like adding the popcorn salt and I also tend to use more almond flavoring in my extracts. You could always use a little lemon extract or creme bouquet to offset the sweetness.

darkchocolate

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:40am
post #8 of 23

I hate wilton's BC. So icky sweet and also a little slimy on the roof of my mouth.

I like buttercream dream. But even today, I found it a little too sweet.
I wish there was a real mild tasting buttercream out there. The sweetness is too much after a while.

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:00am
post #9 of 23

If you use a less sweet filling instead of more buttercream, far fewer people will complain about sweetness (at least in my experience). I LOOOOOVE 2 pints of heavy cream mixed with one packet of instant pudding mix. You can do lots of flavors, and (as long as you don't add additional sugar) it is a very rich but not very sweet taste that really seems to balance buttercream well. thumbs_up.gif

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:24am
post #10 of 23

Where does one get popcorn salt? I have never seen it! Can you use regular salt?

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:53am
post #11 of 23

It's just a finer grain of salt - it is sold right by the other stuff. It is just usually in a smaller container. I think you can even get it in butter flavor although I just use the plain stuff. You certainly could use regular salt but I think the deal is just that you would need to be sure all of the larger crystals dissolved.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:05am
post #12 of 23

I haven't figured out a BC recipe that isn't sweet, so I always just use Rich's Bettercreme. It's the whipped frosting used at most bakeries. I buy a 15 lb. bucket from Sam's for $23.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:16am
post #13 of 23

cakes21, I only use popcorn salt in my icings. You DO NOT need to disolve it first. It's a finer grained salt and mixes in much easier than regular table salt. I use a generous pinch. It does cut the sweetness.

Recently I had cake that was from Costco and it almost made me gag. I've never had anything like it and hope I don't ever again. The cake was very dry too.

I have recently tweaked my old bc recipe with some substitutions and I am sooo happy with it. I have gotten the neatest compliments on it here lately. I'm using cream in place of water, half butter/half shortening, Wilton's butter flavoring instead of vanilla and creme bouquet. It's a hit.

Tip: don't go by the smell just on the creme bouquet, it's delicious stuff.

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:42am
post #14 of 23

I was never aware of a popcorn salt...I always just add a half tsp. or so, of reg salt. It really helps on cutting the sweetness down. I have never had a problem with it not dissolving.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 23

Popcorn salt and pickling salt are the same, they just package the "popcorn salt" in a smaller container and charge more for it!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 23

I have also heard it suggested to put a little flour into the frosting. It cuts back the sweetness. Havn't tried it yet though, I guess that I like the sweet!

Stephanie

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:28pm
post #17 of 23

I add popcorn salt to all my BC frostings. I use a few diff recipe's. I get feedback all the time that my icing is not too sweet.

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:50pm
post #18 of 23

What about coffee creamer anyone know about this???

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:51pm
post #19 of 23

Really? Pickling salt is the same??? That would be a whole lot cheaper!! I use buttercream dream, but I use one stick of salted and one stick of unsalted butter. Makes a really big difference in cutting through the sweetness!

jhomik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhomik Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 23

I saw the popcorn "good eats" rerun last night, and Alton put regular salt in a food processor and pulsed it for a few minutes...voila! popcorn salt!

jhomik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhomik Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:18pm
post #21 of 23

duh! "few minutes"

should have been "few seconds".

So sorry!

melisner1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melisner1 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:05am
post #22 of 23

What is creme bouquet and where do you find it at?

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:47am
post #23 of 23

AAlways add salt to your baked goods :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%