My Lamb Has Been Slaughtered!! Help!!!

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 9:22pm by afort

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 16

OMG what happened!! He was perfect last night, and now his whole head is cut off!! I used the pudding added mix and cooked it long enought! Was the icing too heavy maybe?? How can i fix this!!

15 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 16

Did you stick a dowl through it's head down to the board? Someitmes you have to do that to give it some stability.

29apr00 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 16

i've never used dowel rods before!! the directions didn't say anything about having to do that! those are shisk-ka-bob skewrs in there now.

Oh i just want to cry!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 16

This looks like MY 3D Christmas Tree disaster. However, I doweled and redoweled that and it still didn't work.

What kind of icing are you using? The Wilton Class Buttercream? Did you crumbcoat and refrigerate first? It COULD be that your icing is a little heavy for "Lambkins" head to handle. Maybe use a different "fluffier.....whipped" icing.

Just a few thoughts! SORRY! But, just think, when you figure this out....learning has taken place and you can help someone else down the road!!

GOOD LUCK!

Beth in KY

29apr00 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 16

yup, did a crumb coat and referigated it too. I used buttercream dream.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 16

Wow, So sorry, hopefully someone will be able to help and some of us we can learn sometime new.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 16

I'm so sorry! Wish I could help...

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 16

I can't say for sure, but I've read that you need to use a dense cake for "stand-up" cakes. Maybe your cake was just too soft for this type of design. I don't think I would use any cake with a pudding added to it. If I were to make it I would use a pound cake type recipe or maybe the DH Butter Recipe Golden - it makes a pretty dense batter.

Sorry, I can't be more specific.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 16

Looks like the cake itself was too moist and soft for a 3-d cake which means that when you piped the buttercream it was too heavy for his poor little head. I wouldn't use a dowel because the cake is too moist and light and would just fall off the dowel. Just try to "glue" it back together with buttercream and forget the dowel. Smooth it out and try again. icon_smile.gif

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 16

Agreed, bellejoey has the right idea. Piece it back together, and start over. Its amazing what a little buttercream can do to fix a cake. I suggest using an icing thats not so dense, but super smooth.

29apr00 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:24am
post #11 of 16

I must have done something wrong with the recipe, becuase i made another today and it tasted 100x better than the other one. The 1st way very dry (funny, since it practically fell apart) and just didn't taste good at all. the one today was soo yummy and moist. I baked the dowel rods into the cake, just to make sure it was supported enought!!
LL

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 16

I never thought to bake the dowel in the cake. how did that turn out? It sounds like it would be a good idea.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 16

Great job on your second lamb. Did you have any issues, pulling the dowels out while cutting? Cool Idea.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 16

I'm glad you had time to re-create the lamb. I felt so bad for you but at least it all turned out great!

I made a doll cake once. Her head about fell off icon_lol.gif but I did a little "brain surgery" and doweled through the top of her head, down her spine, all the way to the buttocks icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . Poor little girl icon_lol.gif . But at least she survived. All j/k aside, I will dowel from now on. thumbs_up.gif

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:35pm
post #15 of 16

What a great idea!! I'm curious whether the dowel rod caused the cake surrounding it to taste any different?? I like your technique, something I would never have thought of, but wonder if it affected the cake?

afort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afort Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 9:22pm
post #16 of 16

I love your second lamb, so glad you were able to finalize the little beauty. Congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%