Immediate Cheesecake Emergency

Decorating By Tennille Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 11:54pm by zzzorba

Tennille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tennille Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:28am
post #1 of 8

I just made a cheesecake tonight (only my 2nd one ever). I used the cheesecake supreme recipe on CC. I baked it and it looked great so I turned off the oven and opened the door to let it cool. It is completely cooled and I took it out of the oven and realized that the center was jiggly icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

What do I do???? I assume that I can't stick it back into the oven to bake more since it's already cooled. Do you think it will set in the fridge overnight. I need this for a bridal shower at 9:00 am tomorrow morning. If I have to make a new one I have to do it now.

Please help!!!!

7 replies
lesyorkwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesyorkwolf Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:35am
post #2 of 8

I have found that the cakes can firm out quite a bit in the fridge. That is, if is s more of a New York type cheesecake vs Italian. I wish you the best....I'm sure that it will be great.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:37am
post #3 of 8

Nope, you can't stick it back in the oven to cook! It should firm up some more as it chills in the fridge, just depends on how "jiggly" it is. My cheese cakes always look just a bit jiggly after it's cooking time is over but I cook mine in a water bath and turn the oven off and let it sit in the oven for up to 6 hours!! The risidual heat from the oven and water slow the cooling process and keep it from cracking and they always firm up beautifully! I'm not sure about doing another one - place in fridge for a coulpe of hours and see what happens! Don't feel bad, cheesecakes are really tricky!!

momthreekiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momthreekiddos Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:42am
post #4 of 8

First, I have never made the cheesecake recipe that you are referring to, so it could be different, however, all the cheesecakes that I have made have a TINY bit of a jiggle to them when they are fresh from the oven, but are totally "set" by the time they cool.

If it is still "jiggly" in the center and is already completely cool, I would be worried that it is not completely cooked. I would especially worry if it has eggs in the recipe......raw eggs are not a good thing....especially for the young, the old, and the pregnant (it's a baby shower, right?).

If it were me, I personally would make a new one, as I would just be too afraid to take any chances of someone getting ill. Better to be safe than sorry.

So sorry that this happened to you! Hope that everything turns out well for you.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:42am
post #5 of 8

How long did you bake it? What temp? Is the jiggly spot bigger than a quarter?

dolphinheron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinheron Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:43am
post #6 of 8

Yep, I agree. Chill it and it will be fine. Try this first to reassure yourself: right now, stick a thin knife blade or pick into the cake about one inch from the edge. If it comes out relatively clean, you can be certain that it'll set up just fine.

Pop it in the fridge and have a good night's sleep! thumbs_up.gif

Tennille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tennille Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 6:38am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all the tips. I checked it again and I was way off on the timing. It was like soup in the middle. So, my DH came home from work with more ingredients and the 2nd one is cooling as we speak (at 1:30 a.m.) At least I'll know that this one is good.

Thanks again.

zzzorba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zzzorba Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 8

FYI you CAN bake it again, I have done it. Just keep the oven temp nice and low. Cheesecake is done when its done and doesn't really care about that the timer says, unfortunately! It is done when you tap the side of the pan and jiggle like jello instead of having a "wave" action. Make sense?

I know its too late on that first one now - but try rebaking since you have it on hand. At least the fam will enjoy it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%