Event/competitions In Australia

Decorating By randel Updated 30 Mar 2007 , 10:20am by socake

randel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randel Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:58am
post #1 of 52

How do you find out about cake decorating competitions in Australia?

51 replies
MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 10:12am
post #2 of 52

I have been in the queensland cake decorators competition. I looked them up on the internet... here is a link that might help.
http://www.cakedecorating.asn.au/welcome.htm
I am in Brizzie, but my grandparents and mum grew up in newcastle.. beautiful place!
regards keira

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 11:33am
post #3 of 52

The Challenge Competition is coming up in August which is help in conjunction with the Stitches and Craft Show at Rose Hill Race Course its held every 2 years. In Newcastle the Cake Decorators Association will help you with any information that you require to enter any competitions, just have a look in the Local telephone directory for their phone number. Its too late to enter anything in the Royal Easter Show. You could also contact the Cake Decorators Guild. If you do a google search you should be able to get either websites to look at. Hope this helps.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 52

I have spent many hours trying to get past the initial stage of the cake decorating association in NSW.... they are so unhelpful and all very old. I don't mean to be rude but they need some young blood in there too... we want to learn all the fabulous things they know but they won't let us in to share any of there knowledge. The sad part about this is that their craft will soon die out because they haven't passed on their technique, knowledge and know how and that is a real shame.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel

How do you find out about cake decorating competitions in Australia?

I think there are "cake decorators associations" in each state? I'm sure they could tell you when the comps are on....

randel Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:09am
post #6 of 52

Thanks everyone!! Has anyone entered any of these competitions?

socake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socake Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 8:05am
post #7 of 52

I entered the challenge in 2004, not long after I started decorating, I am thinking of entering a cake this year (as part of the stitches and craft show Sydney) not sure which category yet!

entry forms have to be in by 1st May so you will need to call

Mrs Denise Schaefer on 02 4684 1283

She will mail you out a schedule with all the details.

The judges are pretty tough! What I liked and thought looked good was not their cup of tea!!! so I didn't do to well my first try!

Im going to get back on the horse and give it another go!!

Sandra

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 9:14am
post #8 of 52

I got third in the queensland cake dec comp. icon_redface.gif

beany Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:00am
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by socake

The judges are pretty tough! What I liked and thought looked good was not their cup of tea!!! so I didn't do to well my first try!

Im going to get back on the horse and give it another go!!

Sandra

Which cake did you enter? Your photos are gorgeous!

socake Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:36am
post #10 of 52

This was the one!

I lost marks for the colouring of my roses, they said that using different colours for them spoiled my work. I like the different colours!! Also They comented on the ribbons that I used not matching, I left it until the last minute and they were all I had at home!!! All fair comments, I didn't think the cake was too bad for a beginner!

At the time I had been decorating for less than a year and was very inexperienced! Some of the other people that entered the competition bave been decorating for years and years but had not entered competitions so were entitled to enter the beginners class.

It was heaps of fun to enter though! You should all go in it just for fun!! You might get some tips from people who have loads of experience and you get to see stacks of beautiful cakes!

Sandra
LL

beany Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:40am
post #11 of 52

Sandra,

I love the different coloured roses! I can't believe they said it "spoiled" your work. Are they insane?!

It's a beautiful cake. I love it.

randel Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:17am
post #12 of 52

OMG! If they didn't like that cake I don't know that I stand a chance. That is amazing! I'm getting the details for the Challenge sent to me anyway. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to enter though!! What do you think?

socake Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:26am
post #13 of 52

I say ENTER ENTER ENTER!!

Its good to hear what other people think as well, not just the judges, If you visit the stiches and craft show while it is running its fun to hear what the public think as well.....They all have something to say!!!(you get free entry if you enter!!! well you did last time!)

Just enter for fun and you never know YOU MIGHT JUST WIN!!!

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:28am
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by socake

This was the one!

I lost marks for the colouring of my roses, they said that using different colours for them spoiled my work. I like the different colours!! Also They comented on the ribbons that I used not matching, I left it until the last minute and they were all I had at home!!! All fair comments, I didn't think the cake was too bad for a beginner!

At the time I had been decorating for less than a year and was very inexperienced! Some of the other people that entered the competition bave been decorating for years and years but had not entered competitions so were entitled to enter the beginners class.

It was heaps of fun to enter though! You should all go in it just for fun!! You might get some tips from people who have loads of experience and you get to see stacks of beautiful cakes!

Sandra

Sandra, your cake is beautiful! I can't see why you would be penalised for different colours! My goodness, like you said, they're so tough. and to think you've only had less than a year in cake decorating. you're a natural born cake decorator! thumbs_up.gif

boring Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:21pm
post #15 of 52

Sandra the only reason I could suggest as to why they would have said about the colour of the flowers and ribbon would be the class you entered. As I am not a judge I really can't comment but as I myself have only just entered my first competition and the comments that I got cut at first then you settle down and realise what they said was probably right and you learn from that and do better next time. Personally I would have thought it was picky. I have been cake decorating for awhile as well but have never done too much. Entering these competitions can tend to get you business if you want. I think you did a great job for your first year of Cake decorating. Competition work is hard and very time consuming.

randel Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 9:55am
post #16 of 52

Boring,
Do you have any photos of the cake you entered. It would be good to see.

boring Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 10:46am
post #17 of 52

It was not a cake. It was for a competition called "Last Legs". Not sure if you haveever noticed flowers on their last legs or not but this is what inspired the competition. So I made a flower out of legs. You can see it at http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~cdgsydneypics/page8.html at this website.

randel Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 3:23am
post #18 of 52

Thanks for the link I have just had a look at the pictures there. Are you a member?

boring Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 10:50am
post #19 of 52

Hi Randel

Yes I am.

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 11:49am
post #20 of 52

boring,
I can't open the link icon_sad.gif

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 11:59am
post #21 of 52

I don't know if this will be helpful to any of you or not, but if you can find someone who is experienced at show work, like a teacher or something, they are often willing to "train" you for these competitions.
There are sooooooo many little things you'd never think of that you're not allowed to do, or that are required, that you just don't know about unless you're experience in showing your work.

boring Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:01am
post #22 of 52

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7ecdgsydneypics/page5.html They have changed the pages. Sorry.

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:19pm
post #23 of 52

Very clever use of the theme boring. I agree doing comp work is very time consuming but rewarding.
I always like constructive criticism from the judges which enables you to improve next time. Oh and I know so many of those other names seen them in many competitions you did very well next to them

boring Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:42am
post #24 of 52

Thanks Lyn

socake Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:21pm
post #25 of 52

Is anyone entering the Sydney Easter Show this year?

Sparklepop Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:37pm
post #26 of 52

Not me. I've entered Challenge twice and one prizes and local shows but the Royal has never interested me for some reason

boring Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:11pm
post #27 of 52

I'm going to the Show to take photos. I am not good enough to enter.

socake Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:10pm
post #28 of 52

I'm entering this year, so is redred!

I'm not good enough yet but I'm giving it a go anyway!!

Sparklepop Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 8:20am
post #29 of 52

Good on you guys. Good luck. Don't forget to post a pic after the judging and let us know how you went.

boring Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 9:51am
post #30 of 52

Go for it Socake and Redred, you'll both do Cake Central proud. As lopng as you follow the schedule exactly you should be ok.

When the Show competition was first explained to me and that was a long time ago when I had first learnt at tech. It was made out to be very daunting in otherwords you have to get everything exactly as they specify otherwise you are DNC or NAS. Don't get me wrong when I said not good enough it was more like not interested in getting each flower exactly the same size, to nit picky for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%