Help! Best Way To Frost Without Crumbs?

Decorating By crazy-mom Updated 26 Apr 2005 , 12:50am by luvbaking

crazy-mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy-mom Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 12:26am
post #1 of 11

Can someone PLEASE help me?!!! How can I frost my layer cake without all of the crumbs? Any suggestions?
Thanks

10 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 12:41am
post #2 of 11

You can crumb coat first. What you do is use a thin icing and placing a very thin coat on, ice the cake. Let the icing set up, then go back over with a thicker coat of icing. The first coat should lock in the crumbs, but inorder for this to work you need to let the first coat set up.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 12:44am
post #3 of 11

Be sure your cake is completely cooled first. Do you use an icing tip? I don't know the number of it, but it is very large and spreads a long strip onto the cake. Then all that you have to do is smooth it out. Be sure only to go one way with your spreader, not back and forth because back and forth will bring up the crumbs. Also if your cake is dry it might be causing crumbs also. My cakes are always pretty moist so there are few crumbs. Hope this helps!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 1:59am
post #4 of 11

The icer tip is the way to go. If you don't have one though, try this. Pile the icing on top...be generous. As you frost the top, let the excess icing go down the sides. After you have the top smooth, then do the sides using your angled spatula to spread the icing in one direction with long strokes. Don't pull back or you'll pull up crumbs. Your spatula should never touch cake...only icing. I hope you're able to try the icer tip though. It's the easiest way to ice a cake thumbs_up.gif

DEBBIEJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIEJ Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:03am
post #5 of 11

icon_redface.gif

DEBBIEJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIEJ Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:05am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBBIEJ

I used cake release to put on the pan before filling/baking - bought it online - crumbs are very few to start with - so it was not so bad frosting.
Good Luck - I know before I found this product - I was frosting and frosting and frosting....

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:14am
post #7 of 11
Quote:

Quote:

I used cake release to put on the pan before filling/baking - bought it online - crumbs are very few to start with - so it was not so bad frosting.
Good Luck - I know before I found this product - I was frosting and frosting and frosting....

That's so true Debbie. I grease and flour my pans (pretty much what the cake release is made of) and the cakes have a nice, soft even crust without a lot of crumbs.

crazy-mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy-mom Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 4:02am
post #8 of 11

Thank you for all of your GREAT ideas! I'll definately try them.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:21am
post #9 of 11

I love my icer tip. It makes frosting and smoothing the cake much quicker to me.

Tea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 12:35am
post #10 of 11

Yes! Icer Tip! The greatest invention of the century! I once wanted to test my own icing skill and didn't use that tip..........BAD idea! Definitely the easiest way to coat a cake, at least in my case.

luvbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbaking Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 12:50am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea

Yes! Icer Tip! The greatest invention of the century! I once wanted to test my own icing skill and didn't use that tip..........BAD idea! Definitely the easiest way to coat a cake, at least in my case.

Finally I will go out & get myself an icer tip.....lol thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%