How Do I Roll Fondant To An Even Thickness?

Decorating By sarajohnson Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 3:14am by tiptop57

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 10

I can never seem to get my fondant to be the same thickness all the way around. When I want to roll a small amount for cut outs I have the wiltons exact roller with the bands on the end. But when I want to roll enought to cover a 9in cake I'm on my own and it never turns out good! icon_cry.gif

Please help I have to make a cake for Sunday.

Thank you all

9 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 10

Always roll your fondant from the center out. I had a student who, once she got it rolled to a certain size she was just rolling it form the edges. No matter how large it gets continue to roll from the center out. This will help keep it the same thickness throughout.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 10

When I took my fondant class one of the lady's was always making perfect circles, we were ALL in amazed. She told us she had been making pies for a local bakery for years and wanted to learn to make fondant.
Here is her trick and I swear it works everytime.

You have to roll front and back and then angle 1/8 of a turn, roall front and bakc and then angle 1/8 of a turn never a 1/4 of a turn always 1/8. Then when you get close to the size you need, you can use thin dowels on the edges and get the even thinkness, as long as you go slow if your roller does not cover the "whith" spelling!? of the fondant.

This is how I do my pies now too, and I alsmost never have to cut them back. It's great.

Good Luck.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

When I took my fondant class one of the lady's was always making perfect circles, we were ALL in amazed. She told us she had been making pies for a local bakery for years and wanted to learn to make fondant.
Here is her trick and I swear it works everytime.

You have to roll front and back and then angle 1/8 of a turn, roall front and bakc and then angle 1/8 of a turn never a 1/4 of a turn always 1/8. Then when you get close to the size you need, you can use thin dowels on the edges and get the even thinkness, as long as you go slow if your roller does not cover the "whith" spelling!? of the fondant.

This is how I do my pies now too, and I alsmost never have to cut them back. It's great.

Good Luck.

Great explination! I have tried this but don't seem to have enough patience yet icon_redface.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 10

If you are making something small it's easier to move the board around, but if you are making a huge piece, it's a little more inconvenient!

Good Luck!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:15am
post #6 of 10

I have a large roller and I use the bands to make sure I'm even all around

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:15am
post #7 of 10

These are great tips - could have used them when I was trying to cover a thick, double layer 1/2 sheet cake with fondant last Fall! (what a nightmare!)

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:34am
post #8 of 10

Here are a couple of my tips, on my cookies I always use the rings on the end of my rolling pin so my nieces can learn how to roll the same thickness. The rings come in a package running from 3/8 inch down to 1/8th inch. You can get them at a fine kitchen store. I have also used lengths of wood of different widths like the rings and have my nieces roll on them with the dough in between. I use them when I don't want to go looking for my rings. (My husband made them for me before I bought the rings.)

I have made sugar cookies for many, many years........after a while you just learn, by turning a 1/4 a time and roll, turn and roll and eventually you can judge without the help from the little gizmos above.

CakesByEileen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEileen Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:50am
post #9 of 10

I bought craft wood sticks in widths 1/8 and up to use for rolling dough/fondant to an even thickness. Limiting factors are that the shape you end up rolling out will typically be rectangluar with a length equal to the length of the craft stick, and a width slightly less than the width of your rollng pin.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:14am
post #10 of 10

CakesByEileen - First post!!!!!!

Welcome to our obsession.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%