Tiramisu!

Baking By rajinaren Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 8:11pm by rajinaren

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 18

Dear Friends I want a good Tiramisu recipe using mascarphone cheese and ladys finger. Tested recipes are welcome....as i have never done tiramisu. If i do a small batch good...i will get order for half sheet size of Tiramisu...so please help me with this! icon_smile.gif

17 replies
jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 18

jelligirl...I already found these site through google search i am searching for the recipe that is tested.I even looked into cc recipes too. Anyway thanks

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 18

are you looking for ones w/ or w/o raw eggs?

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 18

I know this will sound silly, but my SIL is Italian, I mean she has only been here 5 years. When she make it she simply follows the instructions on the mascarpone cheese container. She says you have to taste it as you make it, you add sugar if there is not enough. Make sure all your ingredients are fresh and use the strongest best coffee you can afford. That gives it all the taste and make sure you can make it expresso and fresh. The Powder stuff or percolated coffee just does not cut it.
Her stuff is awesome.
If you dont have a small percalator, you can look for one at a few stores, ok, these are in MN, but IKEA, World Market and I am sure you can find some locally. Or you go to a specialty coffee shop and buy a cup of shots!

Good luck.

rajinaren Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 18

thanks for the tips gateaux.I want to make it with cooked eggs loveqm

tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 18

I had the same question about tiramisu a couple months ago. Here is a link to that post.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-561071-.html#561071

I think what I did end up doing is buying the ladyfingers and on there is a really good and very easy recipe. I actually had to make it a 2nd time because my 1st one was soggy. So a tip I have is to be extremely quick to dip the lady fingers because thats what made it soggy. When I did my 2nd one I just used a pastry brush and brushed the ladyfingers with the expresso instead of dipping and it came out sooooooo yummy.

rajinaren Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 18

tammylenz thanks for the tip. Can u give me the recipe?

tammylenz Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 18

When you put the sugar and eggs in the double boiler the eggs will cook slightly. I don't think there is a recipie that will use cooked eggs otherwise, but I did see something about using powdered eggs??? Not sure about it though.

tammylenz Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 18

6 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
2 packages ladyfingers
expresso
Unsweetend cocoa powder for dusting

1-combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler over boiling water. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 10mins stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whip yolks until thick.

2-Add mascarpone cheese to whipped yolks, beat until combiled. In a seperate bowl whip chream to stiff peaks, gently fold into yolk mixture and set aside.

3-split ladyfingers in half and line the bottom (and sides if you want). Brush with expresso. Spoon 1/2 the mascarpone mixture and repeat layers. Garnish with cocoa powder.

rajinaren Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 18

tammylenz....I really apperciate the recipe.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 18

save icon_smile.gif

rajinaren Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

save icon_smile.gif

What does that mean?

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:56am
post #14 of 18

I've gotten very good responses from the one in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. (That's the red & white checked one, right?) It doesn't have any eggs, does tiramisu usually have eggs?

I like to make it in a springform pan, so I can take the sides off when I'm ready, and it looks all pretty and layered. icon_smile.gif

tammylenz Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:24am
post #15 of 18

yes tiramisu does have eggs in it, I have not seen a recipe that doesnt. As far as the springform pan I am not sure about that. The 1st one i did that way and it did not work. I suppose if you line the pan with your ladyfingers then it may work.

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:49pm
post #16 of 18

It ends up just set but light and creamy. Makes enough to fill a 9X13 casserole dish

8 large egg yolks
splash of rum (or favorite liquer)
3/4 tbsp gelatin soaked in warm water to soften
500 gm tub of mascarpone
175 ml regular sugar
600 ml whipping cream (whip and set aside)
1-2 pkgs savoiardis (ladyfingers)
1-2 cups espresso or strong coffee (cooled) optional I sometimes add a little sugar when it's warm (so it dissolves) just so it is not too bitter as well as 1-2 tblsp coffe liquer (copad'oro or tia maria, kahlua etc)
Place first 3 ingredients together in a stainless steel bowl and whisk over simmering water (it works better and faster if the bowl just touches the water) until it becomes pale yellow and thick. Constantly whisk and be careful you don't scramble the eggs. It takes a good while. Not sure the exact temp. but it should feel warm to the touch and when you lift it out of the bowl with the whisk it should flow from the whisk like a ribbon (ribbon stage) Hope that makes sense. Set aside and allow to cool.
Beat mascarpone and and sugar til blended, smooth and soft.
Add cooled egg mixture to the mascarpon and gently mix til blended. Fold in whipped cream. That in a sense is your filling.
I make it sometimes in a springform pan in which I line the bottom with espresso soaked ladyfingers, then about half the filling, then a good dusting of good dutch cocoa (not frys). Then repeat with soaked ladyfingers, rest of filling but I don't dust the last layer of cocoa til just before eating.
Most times I use a small oblong casserole dish or cake pan which I line with saranwrap first, then about half the filling, dusting of cocoa, then ladyfingers (soaked of course). Then repeat filling, cocoa, soaked ladyfingers.
Allow to chill overnight. Springform pan just remove sides. Cake pan or casserole dish you flip upside down on serving tray and then remove the saranwrap then dust with cocoa just before serving.
Optional is you can use chocolate shavings instead of cocoa. Hope you can understand this. This is a recipe my first chef taught me.
Oh ya I don't drink any more so I don't use any alcohol...it's purely optional
after removing the sides of springform (if you go that route) I line the outside with ladyfingers standing straight up glued on with whipped cream or else I press chocolate shavings into the sides

Rick

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:33pm
post #17 of 18

I use Kahlua and Creme de Cacao mixed 50-50 for brushing the ladyfingers instead of espresso and rum. I prefer the extra chocolate flavor and I don't have to mess with brewing strong coffee or espresso.

rajinaren Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 8:11pm
post #18 of 18

Hi all!
Thanks for the gudiance and tips the tiramisu turned out good!
the photo is at http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=rajinaren&cat=0&pos=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%