How Do I Get Yellowing Wilton Plates White Again? Help

Decorating By marjieq Updated 25 Jul 2006 , 12:13pm by LittleLinda

marjieq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjieq Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 14

I have yellowing plates, pillats etc. How do I get them white again? Please help.

13 replies
KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 14

I had the same problem and asked Wilton:

Quote:
Quote:

Well, Wilton responded and here's what they said:

Quote:
Thank you for visiting our website. The following hint comes from our regional training instructor and is passed on to teachers at their seminars so hopefully it will help you.
For whitening yellowed pillars, plates, etc. add equal amounts of dishwasher powder and bleach to hot water and soak pieces for several hours.
Then wash with soapy water and rinse well.
Thank you and have a good day.

Sincerely,
Rosemary
Consumer Care Center
Wilton Industries
2240 W. 75th St. #9A
Woodridge, IL 60517
800-794-5866

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 14

I forgot to add that I didn't try this since it was the glue that turned yellow not the plates or columns. Hopefully this will help you.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 14

I use ammonia in my laundry and tubs when I want to whiten them. Maybe a long soak in a strong solution of this will help. I've never tried it, but give it a shot. I've always been told that bleach yellows items, so you might not want to go that route. I wonder if a laundry bluing agent would help??

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 12:33am
post #5 of 14

I read in a post on here a while back that if you set them out in the bright sunlight it will whiten them up...Never tried it...so I don't know if it works...I have some very old pillars and they are very yellowed... Waiting till someone tries something that works...

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 12:50am
post #6 of 14

I've heard soaking them in bleach water and I've heard about setting them out in the sun...I've never done this, so please let us all know what works!!!

good luck!! icon_smile.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 12:58am
post #7 of 14

I have soaked them in mix of bleach, soap & hot water.....nope, didn't work.

Then I said, 'what the heck' and let them soak in mostly bleach....nope!!

If anyone is out there and has a tried and true magical potion for this problem, PLEASE let us know. It will surely be greatly appreciated.

cowspot_me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowspot_me Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 14

I have the Wilton tall tier set and haven't used them for a few years. Yesterday, when I pulled them out, they had yellowed some. I put them in the bathtub with hot water, bleach and Electrasol dishwater tabs and let them soak overnight. This morning, they were 99% better. The only yellowed spots were on the underside and they were hard to see. Thank goodness I don't have to buy replacement parts!

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 14

Any other suggestions??

I have the same white plastic plates/pillars that I received from a friends grandmother. They are pretty yellow however. I tried soaking in bleach mixtures and in pretty much 100% bleach and none of it worked...not even a little. Im tempted to just spray paint white and then put a clear coat over it as my cakes never touch the plate.

Any thoughts?

cowspot_me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowspot_me Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 14

I have tried bleach only on some as well. I think it may have been the Electrasol dishwasher tabs that I crumbled up and put in. It kind of fizzed up like one of those fizzball things you put in your bath.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowspot_me

I have tried bleach only on some as well. I think it may have been the Electrasol dishwasher tabs that I crumbled up and put in. It kind of fizzed up like one of those fizzball things you put in your bath.

well then that raises the question: would efferdent or similar false teeth cleaning tab work?

and has anyone tried OxyClean or similar?

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:09am
post #12 of 14

Well hmm.... I guess ill try that. We have those here at my house..

Hopefully I wont accidently make a concoction that will eat my stands hehehe icon_confused.gif

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 5:15am
post #13 of 14

Has anyone tried the MR. Clean Magic Erasers?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 12:13pm
post #14 of 14

For my 25th anniversary, I pulled out my original wedding cake topper, it was very yellowed. I soaked it in Oxyclean. It lightened; but didnt get nice enough to use it on a cake. As far as the glue yellowing; I think it's a lost cause, as I expect the glue yellowed throughout, not just on the surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%