Is This The Same???

Decorating By pancake Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 11:56pm by ShirleyW

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 11

Pastillage and gumpaste....are they the same thing? I've used the recipe for pastillage out of 'The Cake Bible' cookbook, and it's drying out SO fast, I barely have time to work with it!! icon_confused.gif I'm so irritated that I wasted time making this stuff and now I'm ready to chuck it out icon_mad.gif

10 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 11

BUMP!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 11

not sure, but here is a bump b/c I would like to know too

msdmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdmom Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 11

I believe they are a little different and I believe that the pastillage does dry out quickly and you really have to work with it quickly.
It is not recommended you do projects with pastillage that take a long time to finish

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 11

I think pastillage is mostly used for flatwork (items that are cut out with templates and are two dimensional) you can airbrush on pastillage. Where as gumpaste you can mold or manipulate into three dimensional shapes that are more resilliant than regular fondant shapes. They dry harder. Even though you can use gumpaste to make the two dimensional shapes You would have to wait longer for it to dry before you could embellish them. Whereas the pastillage dries quickly and you can paint on it in less time.

leily Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 11

So can you use pastillage for bows? or is that to 3D?

How long does gumpaste take to dry? If I make a bow out of it tonight, will it be dry by tomorrow?

I have worked with MMF but I know what I want to start doing I can't do with it and have been trying to decide what medium to work with next.

Thank!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 11

Gumpaste dries faster than fondant does and is harder (not as flexible as fondant when dried). A bow would be three dimensional. I don't know if the pastillage would stay malleable enough to finish the bow without it showing cracks on the curved part. You have to work pretty fast with pastillage.

leily Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

Gumpaste dries faster than fondant does and is harder (not as flexible as fondant when dried). A bow would be three dimensional. I don't know if the pastillage would stay malleable enough to finish the bow without it showing cracks on the curved part. You have to work pretty fast with pastillage.

Thanks!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 11

Actually.........pastillage is the french way of saying gumpaste. If you look on the Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste box, the french side says "Fondant and Pastillage". I've also heard them referred to as being the same thing on TV shows.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

(Oh, I just realized....in the US, do you have both French and English on the Wilton class kit boxes?)

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 11

Pancake, there are slightly different recipes for gumpaste or pastillage. To me. they are more or less the same. I'd recommend mixing your pastillage with fondant (1:1 ratio) to give you more time to handle it for whatever use you may want.
It's drying time depends on the thickness of the piece you are making.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 11

Pastillage ( paw stee auge) dries extremely hard and solid so it is good for doing things like bulidings, castles some type of construction piece where you need the extra strength or support. Gumpaste is best for flowers because it can be rolled quite thin but dries quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%