Austin Cake Show

Decorating By TERRYHORTON Updated 13 Apr 2006 , 10:25am by pinkopossum

TERRYHORTON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TERRYHORTON Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 2:03am
post #1 of 57

OMG!
This is the coolest ever! So many beauiful cakes!
So many new ideas and techniques! I hope to bring home some new ideas and pics so everyone can see. Have also touted CC to whomever will listen so there may be lots of newbies!
Later!

56 replies
TERRYHORTON Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 2:04am
post #2 of 57

Oh yes, lots of stuff to buy too!!! woo hoo!!

LOL!

Mommyof2Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyof2Angels Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 5:07am
post #3 of 57

It was alot of fun icon_smile.gif

I took pics..so I will get those posted icon_smile.gif

I also took home 2 metals ..I was so excited...my first time entering ever..and my little bunny cake did it icon_smile.gif

Nicole

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 5:10am
post #4 of 57

YAAAAYYYYY Nicole!!! party.gifthumbs_up.gif Who couldn't love those naughty little bunnies?! LOL icon_razz.gif Good for you! Can't wait to see your pics of all the different cakes! icon_smile.gif

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 5:17am
post #5 of 57

Congratulations, Nicole. Your bunnies are adorable. They went into my favorites as soon as I saw them.

Cindy

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 3:49am
post #6 of 57

I just got back and I am refreshed after finally getting some sleep.

I have 114 pics. I have had Jackie create an events section for me in the past and ftp the pics to hers so I don't have to upload them manually. If someone would rather do this, go right ahead. Just let me know so I don't also do it.

I also won a couple of medals. A 3rd for my chocolate painting. We don't have a gallery for this so I will upload a pic. I am a little disappointed it didn't do better. I thought it was very unique. Every bit of it is chocolate. Yes, I painted using chocolate. The frame is all chocolate. Even the board it was on was covered in chocolate. Oh well, I had tons of fun doing it and that is what counts.

I was super excited that I won first for my squirrel and dog sculpted entry. I called it "Keep Away". My DH is going to take a better pic of it tomorrow so I will post it later. There was a lot of good entries in this category and I was very nervous about it.

I had lots of fun and can't wait for the next one.
LL

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 57

Talmas, your painting was beautiful and we KNEW your sculpted cake would win! I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you though, we were asking everyone if they were from Cake Central!

Mommyof2Angels - I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you too! Your bunny cake was sooooo cute!

We did get to meet Terry Horton - Hi Terry!

Marilyn

mommymarilyn Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 57

Oh, and Chocomama - It was so nice to meet you too! It's great to finally meet someone in person that you've talked to online!

Maybe at the next event we CC people should have a prearranged meeting place at a specific time so that we don't walk right past one another without realizing it! I feel bad that there were so many of us there and we didn't get to know each other in person. icon_sad.gif

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 57

I went Saturday, and really enjoyed it.
Talmas-I just loved the dog and squirrel cake, very cute. My daughter took several pictures of that.
Nicole-when i saw your bunny cake i told my daughter that cake was done by a cake central member. That was sooo cute in person.

My daughter wants us to both enter next year. What do you need to do to enter???

talmas Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 57

To enter all you need to do is fill out an entry form, write a check, and mail it. The entry form was at the clubs website.
http://www.allinonebakeshop.com/clubandevents.asp
There is different divisions which they describe on there entry form. You choose the one that best fits you. Then you pick what categories you want to enter. I only entered 2 because it was hard to find the time to do any more than that. Quality is more important than quantity. Pick the categories you feel you are best at. Like with me, sculpting will always be my first choice. I just love doing it, even though I didn't get much sleep last week. I was a zombie Saturday. The only sleep I got was in the car on the way down. Luckily I wasn't driving.icon_smile.gif

It is too bad I missed everyone. I was there until 2:30pm and saw a few demos. They were packed.

I wish I was as confident as you mommymarilyn about winning. I see all my flaws and the extra stuff I didn't have time to do. I saw so many good entries. It is nice to see the sculpted category becoming more popular. Also, my DH was telling me he thought I would take second. He liked the dog with toilet paper better.

JennT Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 57

Soooo....did anyone go see the Bakerman??? icon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

bfelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfelt Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 57

Congratulations Nicole and Talmas...you both did a fantastic job!!!

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 5:38pm
post #13 of 57

BEAUTIFUL CAKES EVERYONE! Congratulations to talmas and nicole.....adorable....DH saw picture of the chocolate painting and said what? that's painted?

It was so cool to meet all those "important" cake people (who are also really nice btw).

AND....Happy to report that my cake won 3rd place in the beginner special occasion cakes! This was my first show and I was soooooooo excited. The medals are really beautiful....someone who has a digital should try to post a picture of theirs!
LL

TERRYHORTON Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 57

Kudos to Talmas, & Mommy & Ape whom I got to meet!! Such nice people!
I had a wonderful time and got to meet Bronwen!

Talmas....I'm wondering, did you go to the sugar pulling demo? I thought I saw you Saturday but wasn't sure!

Sunflowerbagel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflowerbagel Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 57

Hi everyone,

I also went on Saturday and really liked your cakes! My friend and I kept looking at that painting. Who knew it'd be from someone on this site?! Wow!

Did anyone stay for the wedding cake competition? We went to the 1 tip (fun group) and the "mystery" - in which I was pretty disappointed. After sitting through that competition, we decided not to do the wedding one. I am interested in who competed and won those.

Any info?

Thanks!
Kat

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:25pm
post #16 of 57

I went to the wedding cake competition....You so should have stayed.....the judges were the ones that competed plus a past TCA student and Janette (can't remember her last name, but the lady that did the carousel horse cake).

It was REALLY cool! One of the things that was really neat about it was we talked to them while they were working....like what is that, what are you doing with it?

thumbs_up.gif

Mommyof2Angels Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:04pm
post #17 of 57

Thanks ladies...
to bad there were so many of us there and we didn't all meet up icon_sad.gif

I attended the 1 tip challenge...but the mystery cake was during my time at raffle ticket table so I missed it.
I peeked in on the wedding cake challenge a few times..but was unable to sit through it...IT WAS SOOOO CROWDED!!

The squirel and dog cake was soooooo cute!! I agree that the chocolate pic was really neat....all the ladies in the cake club were talking about how intresting it was...I am suprised it didn't place higher....

Nicole

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:18pm
post #18 of 57

Congratulations to all of you, cannot wait to see all the pictures! We are so proud of all of you!
Hugs Squirrelly

talmas Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:45pm
post #19 of 57

Terry, yes that was propably me. Deanna (TooMuchCake) was with me. BTW, she won 5 ribbons. I don't know how she does it. We walked in late because all the demos we wanted to see ran over onto each other.

I wish I would have known about all the CC cakes. I would have clapped louder at the awards ceremony. icon_smile.gif I am just so happy for everyone. It is so exciting.

Thanks for all the comments on my chocolate piece. I am glad you liked it. You never know what a judge is going to think about it. I figured it didn't hurt to put it in and see what happens. I think I am going to store it away. I just can't bear to part with it.

texa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texa Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:00pm
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

Soooo....did anyone go see the Bakerman??? icon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

*still hopes someone will post a candid photo of bakerman* icon_biggrin.gif

OK, so I'm a voyeur at heart -- I lust after cakes, too!!! thumbs_up.gif

mommymarilyn Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:50pm
post #21 of 57

Talmas, what did Deanna win? We were so disappointed that they didn't announce the cakes when they called the winners' names, and that they weren't posted on the tables on Sunday.

Marilyn

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 11:21pm
post #22 of 57

Okay, who's Bakerman? icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet many new people at the Austin show. I met a new friend from Georgetown but I don't think she's a CC member. I didn't even think to ask (sleep deprivation).

I had a great time at the show even though I didn't get to meet some of the people I talk to on here. We should have a secret code that we walk around muttering so that we all know who we are, LOL!! Like the secret code phrases a la old spy movies.

{sign} "The buttercream on my cake is too yellow."
{countersign} "Add a drop of violet to make it white."

thumbs_up.gif

Does anybody know who made the cake where the folded American flag is being given to a next of kin? I saw the lady carry it out and sort of shouted to her that I loved it but I didn't get to talk to her.

Congratulations to all the winners!! Since the show staff never did turn over the cards or label the winners, I missed figuring out who a lot of people were, or learning to associate a name with a technique. Congratulations to Terri, Mommy and Ape!!!

Deanna

JennT Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 11:25pm
post #23 of 57

Deanna, and others...this is the Bakerman... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19660.html icon_razz.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 11:31pm
post #24 of 57

ROFLOL!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I love that the photo says "He's married" on the bottom. I bet he has lots of ladies hanging out in the bakery buying donuts and gazing...

Not *glazing*, gazing....

Deanna

talmas Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 11:38pm
post #25 of 57

And congratulations Deanna. I am sorry to say I lost track of what exactly you won. I just know you were jingling quite a bit.

talmas Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 11:46pm
post #26 of 57

OK I posted my puppy/squirrel cake it is in my gallery.

TooMuchCake Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 12:07am
post #27 of 57

For the record, that Keep Away cake is probably the cutest thing I've ever seen done in sugar. Terri, you deserved that First Place medal! (Actually, I think you deserved *two* first place medals, but they didn't ask me, LOL.) It was nice to meet your husband, too.

I got a 1st for the green topsy-turvy wedding cake, a 1st for the carousel horse cookies, a 1st for the Cowboy harlequin-style cake, a 2nd for the blue-and-brown Novelty cake, and a 2nd for the buttercream puppy sculpture.

My husband still can't stand that blue and brown cake and is still asking me why I bothered bringing it. icon_wink.gif Jim has all my cake pictures on his camera and hasn't downloaded them yet, so I don't have any to post.

Oh, Terri, I forgot to tell you, I went ahead and attended all but the first paid demo on Sunday. I think Marco Antonio Lopez is a genius. It was worth it just to see him. The other demos weren't nearly as good as his.

Deanna

talmas Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:22am
post #28 of 57

Thanks Deanna. Everyone is going to start calling me puppy crazy. I already have another idea for a puppy for the OK show.

You DH is crazy. Just tell him you brought the blue and brown cake for me. I love the two colors together and I am sure I am not the only one that thinks that. I loved your wedding cake. My DH told me I should start working on flowers so I can enter something like that. I just don't think I could make something that beautiful.

I can't wait to hear the scoop about the paid demos.

Mommyof2Angels Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:24am
post #29 of 57

I thought the paid demos were great....Marco Antonio Lopez was just unbelievable icon_smile.gif

I attended all of them...and really enjoyed myself & learned alot...

Nicole

talmas Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:31am
post #30 of 57

No one responded about uploading pics so I went ahead and did it. Hope they are satisfactory. The lighting there wasn't the greatest and my little camera has a terrible flash. I didn't remove any so there maybe duplicates to what is being posted by members. If I missed any, feel free to upload what I missed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%