Freezing Decorated Cookies...i Really Need Your Help/advice!

Baking By denise2434 Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 7:32pm by Sunflowerbagel

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 10

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I spent all week making cookies and cupcakes for my sons classroom Easter party, I kept telling my son all week Find out what time your party starts on Friday. Well a couple of days he had a sub and the other days he forgot. So I called her last night and come to find out that she decided to have the party the Friday after they get back from Spring break, which is 2 weeks away!!! icon_surprised.gificon_mad.gif Now Ive got 62 cookies and 24 cupcakes!! I know I can freeze the cupcakes (luckily I just had baked them and made the BC and hadnt decorated them yet), but can I freeze the decorated cookies?? They are the ones in my photos, some are covered with MMF and some are covered in chocolate clay. If I cant freeze them will they still be good in 2 weeks?? What am I going to do????? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Please help!!! icon_cry.gif Thanks guys!! ~Denise

9 replies
isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 10

I froze some a while ago but I used Toba's Glace on mine. They were ok but they did sweat a bit....

Hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 10

You really don't have a choice in the matter, unless you want to start all over. I would put them in a ziplocbag, and then wrap that with a few layers of foil. Put them in the freezer. When you take them out to thaw, I would just let them sit on the counter in the wrapping until they come to room temp.

Sunflowerbagel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflowerbagel Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 10

I've frozen plenty of NFSC with MMf, RI, Almond Bark, Chocolate melts and plain. I get HUGE positive responses with them. There's no way I couldn't decorate and freeze. Just this week, I had over 400 cookies due.

So, I don't know about candy clay, but those are the things I've used and they've been frozen for 6 weeks. I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

carorodrigues Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carorodrigues Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 10

When I do my cookies, I do it 1-2 weeks before the day I need it. I wrap them in celophan bags and they are fine. I use plastic containers to storage the cookies too.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowerbagel

I've frozen plenty of NFSC with MMf, RI, Almond Bark, Chocolate melts and plain. I get HUGE positive responses with them. There's no way I couldn't decorate and freeze. Just this week, I had over 400 cookies due.

So, I don't know about candy clay, but those are the things I've used and they've been frozen for 6 weeks. I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Dumb question here: how would you freeze them? In a shrink wrapped bag or regular baggie or what?

Sunflowerbagel Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 10

I freeze them differently than others here may say. I don't individually wrap them unless they have delicate pieces (i.e. stems, arms, etc.). At the least, I put them all in Ziploc double grip freezer bags and place them in my freezer (stand alone freezer used only for cakes, etc.). If I have enough tupperware, which I usually do, I put them in the Ziploc baggies and then stack them in tupperware.

If you were planning on individually bagging them anyway, I'd do it now. I've frozen them shrink wrapped and/or individually bagged, with ribbon, and the ribbons stayed curled and perfect. I put each individual bag in the Ziploc (I keep repeating Ziploc, because you really want them to stay fresh and their new double locked freezer bags are great).

Remember to let them thaw out in the bags - you don't need any condensation. If you don't individually wrap them, here are some tips. When you pull them out of the freezer, make sure they aren't touching each other in the Ziploc. If they touch each other, it makes their corners softer and more easily broken.

I use extremely bright colors with my cookies and I've never experienced any problems with running/discoloring. Others at CC have. I hope you don't.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 10

Oh thank you! That's some great advice! Thank you thank you!! icon_smile.gif

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone!!! You guys are the best...I didn't know what I was going to do!! You all have given me some awesome tips!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sunflowerbagel Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 10

I forgot to mention... I freeze RBC ones this way too. It wasn't on that short list earlier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%