Question About The Use Of Glycerine

Decorating By craftst3 Updated 8 May 2016 , 11:49am by imaan

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 14

I hope someone can help me. I am new to cake decorating and sent husband to store to buy me some supplies. He came back with the things I needed and a container of glycerine. He said it was with the cake stuff so he thought I might need it. Would you please let me know what I would use it for? The only thing I have learned about it is that you can add it to icing to restore consistency of colors, but not sure how to do that either.

13 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 14

Glycerine is an ingredient in some fondant recipes. It can also be used to restore Wilton paste colors back to there original consistency is they start to dry out or thicken.

HTH

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 14

Does anyone know how much glycerin we should add to marshmallow fondant? I've been making it for a couple weeks and so far I have no complaints, but I read somewhere that someone adds glycerin for elasticity. However, I'm not sure if this really helps, what exactly it does, or how much to add. Thanks for any info that anyone has!

Melissa

bajansunflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bajansunflower Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 14

can you help me with a name for my cake and pastry business.

Bajansunflower

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 14

There's actually a whole forum dedicated to opening your own business and they'll probably be a great place to start with a name! You can probably get a lot of ideas from the people posting there, and also get info about starting your own business if that's where you're headed. Personally, I think it's better to do something a little catchy and a little different, rather than something like "Jane's Cakes." I mean, how boring! Something that people will remember. There's a place near me and I love their name - it's Tiers of Joy. There's also someone who's name is Patty so her business is called Pattycakes. But since you're doing more than just cakes, maybe something like Sweet Shack (or Sugar Shack - how fun - your tag line could be "get Shacked up!" Ha ha - just kidding!) or Sweetly Yours, Sweet Expressions, Sugar Love. I like to have something in the title that lets people know what your products are. Like "Jane's Creations" doesn't tell anyone what the heck it is that you're selling, which is why I'm thinking along the lines of the Sweet/Sugar angle. Anyway, I'm just throwing things out there, but try that other forum - you'll probably get a lot more ideas!

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!

Melissa

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxxydust

Does anyone know how much glycerin we should add to marshmallow fondant? I've been making it for a couple weeks and so far I have no complaints, but I read somewhere that someone adds glycerin for elasticity. However, I'm not sure if this really helps, what exactly it does, or how much to add. Thanks for any info that anyone has!

Melissa

I've added glycerin to MMF before. I just added a few drops at a time and kneaded them in. I probably used about 8 drops total. I think it did help with elasticity.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 12:34am
post #7 of 14

Glycerine can also be added to royal icing to stop it setting so hard. You use 1 teaspoon of glycerine to every 1lb of icing sugar.

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 2:34am
post #8 of 14

I knew I was asking the correct group of people this question. Thank you again for your helpful information. Now I know what to do with it I am gonna try it out this weekend and see what happens.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 2:38am
post #9 of 14

Can glycerIne be used interchangeably with light corn syrup?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 5:52am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawyer

Can glycerIne be used interchangeably with light corn syrup?

Glucose and light corn syrup can often be switched, but they are not the same thing as glycerine.

suzannetherlands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannetherlands Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 7:23am
post #11 of 14

i used glyceringe in my royal icing for the first time and it makes it more soft-like. Even after a day you can easly cut through it.

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 14

My mom said Glycerin can be used to keep your icing a little softer. I had a problem with my icing cracking. She said to try some glycerin.

imaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaan Posted 8 May 2016 , 11:49am
post #13 of 14

Could glycerine be used with lustre dusts instead of alcohol to paint cakes and details?

imaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaan Posted 8 May 2016 , 11:49am
post #14 of 14

Could glycerine be used with lustre dusts instead of alcohol to paint cakes and details?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%