Young Cake Decorators

Decorating By ashley87 Updated 8 Apr 2007 , 6:21pm by nglez09

ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 56

Hello everyone! I was just wondering if there are any other young cake decorators out there. I am 19 and I have always wondered how many other young adults are doing the same thing as me! icon_smile.gif

55 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 56

I am 26, so I guess that I am out for being young, but you do good work. Be happy you started young, you'll be a very experience decorator by my age!

Stephanie

Lindsayu83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsayu83 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 56

I'm 24, and while I feel like I'm getting older by the minute, I suppose I'm young. The hardest part is getting people to take you seriously, but when they see and taste your work, you'll have them hooked! Good luck!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 56

Well Ashley87-I am not young(42) but I wanted to say your cakes are beautiful! Amazing at 19. My daughter (11) took course one from wilton but it was cutting in to her social life so she wanted to take a break.
GReat job!!

LisasCakesNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisasCakesNM Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 56

I am also 19! I don't think there are too many young decorators, especially in my area. I have been decorating since I was in the sixth grade! Most of my clients freak out when they see how young I am! Sometimes it's hard to get them to pay me the same prices as they do others but I am slowly convincing people with my work! ashley87 I love your cakes, they are so beautiful! ! I'm guessing you were born in 1987 too!!

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 56

I'm 26 and started doing cakes when I was a teenager (12-13) and took my first official cake decorating course when I was 20. I learned all of my baking from my mom.

People have a hard time believing that anyone younger than 25 could be any good at cakes where I am from. But when I told them that I learnt from my mom, it seems to reassure them!!

You do great work, and you're definitely not the only young one out there in a field that seems to be dominated by Stay-at-Home / Work-at-Home Moms (no offense intended at all to them... I plan on doing the exact same thing one day. My dream is to have a legal kitchen to work out of at home!) And rest assured... once you get the hooked on gorgeous and tasty cakes, you'll have clients for life. I can just imagine your skills at 40!!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 56

I'm 25 so I guess I'm not that young. I've only been doing this for a year but I wish I started a lot younger.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 56

I'm fifteen.

xobxsbangelox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xobxsbangelox Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 56

im 19!!!

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 56

WOW! i am 22. and i feel so old. sorry i dont have any pictures up. but baking has always taken my interest since i was 8

amylynn8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amylynn8 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 56

I am 23. I have had the same problem working in a bakery. Everyone there thought that since I was young I did not know anything about baking. So I proved myself to them.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

I'm fifteen.

Hmmm.... icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 56

21 started decorating when i was 15 and your cakes are awesome

carmina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmina Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:15pm
post #14 of 56

hi I am 24 but I started when I was 15 and I had a lot of trouble because people don't take you seriously , they want to see an old lady baking a cake hahahaha

MissMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMoore Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:29pm
post #15 of 56

I'm 24 and have been decorating since I was 14. I don't have the time to take it more seriously then just a every now and then thing; but it is so fun to have this creative outlet!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:26am
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

I'm fifteen.

Hmmm.... icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

icon_wink.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:36am
post #17 of 56

I'm 26. Just started doing this in Feb. I wanted to try cake decorating for a long time but I never had any time until now........

LisasCakesNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisasCakesNM Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:36am
post #18 of 56

Nick I am so impressed!!! Your cakes are so beautiful!! How do you find the time to post here, I am on here more than I should be icon_lol.gif.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:04am
post #19 of 56

22, and just picked up decorating 4 months ago. before that i enjoyed baking, but never did anything fancy. i've always wanted to be "the one" in my family that people call for yummy baked goods and treats. so i've been working on my reputation with them. its finally starting to take hold! lol

ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #20 of 56

Thank you all for the wonderful comments!! I think it is very exciting that there are so many young decorators out there!!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:43am
post #21 of 56

does FEELING young count??????

krojano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krojano Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:47am
post #22 of 56

hi i'm 21 started when i was 16 took a long break and started up again so i have to practice alot to get to were i was before. icon_razz.gif

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:56am
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsaxe

does FEELING young count??????

amen to that! I feel so old reading about all the young pups on here. icon_wink.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:03am
post #24 of 56

Does age really count???? I feel like I am only 25 (again). I have heard that 30 is the new 20 and so on....And no one here believes I am a grandma. They think that my grandson is my own child...... icon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif Have been decorating since I was 13 when a lady from church taught me.

Isaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isaby Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:05am
post #25 of 56

I'm 21, and have been doing some cake decorating on and off for a couple years. Nothing compared to what you guys do. Your cakes are amazing!!! Like another young cake decorator said, I wish I had started earlier too! I feel like I have sooooo much to learn and not enought time, or money to do it, heheh. But CC has most definitely been a big help. Its fun! I have been encouraged ever since visiting this website, and it is nice to know that there are other youngsters out there. icon_biggrin.gif

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:09am
post #26 of 56

I'm 28, which seems to be very young for anyone doing cakes around here. People are always surprised that I made the cakes myself. I learned from my mom when I was little, and just helped her. It wasnt until a few mos. ago that I decided to take some classes to brush up on skills, and to learn some new ones. I'd really like to make a career out of this since my business has picked up to a professional level. Thank goodness for my mom, I can't afford to hire help, and the orders just keep coming. She taught me everything I know!

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:18am
post #27 of 56

So 39 would be concidered what??? icon_smile.gif

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:23am
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcindy

So 39 would be concidered what??? icon_smile.gif

what about 40 ? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:29am
post #29 of 56

Well, I just turned 32, so I am not young. My daughter and I started taking Wilton Classes last July. We are now in our 6th class together. She just turned 9 in December. She does a great job (as all of you younger people do!). She made my birthday cake last week and I was very impressed! Our Wilton instructor is impressed with her too.
Keep up the great work!!! thumbs_up.gif

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:36am
post #30 of 56

25...papered chef...cake decorator extrordinaire...LOL (just kidding, I like to play with icing icon_wink.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%