Help For A Newbie.....please!

Decorating By Bsuga Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 9:32pm by LisasCakesNM

Bsuga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bsuga Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone. I am definitely a babe compared to you guys but I love cakes and this skill really intrigues me. I am a mother to three wee ones and would like to bake cakes as an income supplement. But after seeing the work on this site, I feel overwhelmed. where do i begin? I have some art skills and the imagination of a five year old. I know I can do this if and any advice you have is appreciated. I can't wait to post my creations.

8 replies
PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsuga

Hello everyone. I am definitely a babe compared to you guys but I love cakes and this skill really intrigues me. I am a mother to three wee ones and would like to bake cakes as an income supplement. But after seeing the work on this site, I feel overwhelmed. where do i begin? I have some art skills and the imagination of a five year old. I know I can do this if and any advice you have is appreciated. I can't wait to post my creations.

Welcome to CC! I would suggest that you find a good cake decorating class to join in your area. They are usually one evening a week and you will learn so much, esp. the basics. From there, it's anything goes! I've been at this for just over a year now and one good thing I learned from this site is to not be afraid to experiment. You'll find wonderful people here who are so willing to share their experitse with you. Have fun with it! Can't wait to see what you can do.
PSue

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 9

I also suggest if you don't have access to a class, to read through new and old threads you can learn so much reading through them, also practice makes perfect and everytime you make a cake post it and ask for constructive critisism, the ladies here at CC will help you for sure they are always honest! and don't feel overwhelmed with the talent here see it as positive thing, these awesomely talented ladies are the ones who will be helping you succeed with your cakes. I took all Wilton's 3 classes and I already took about 2 months worth of classes at my local bakery and supply store. I am always making cakes and looking for a challenge and ways to improve, this is were I was 9 months ago and this is today, the rainbow cake was my first cake

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=icingandsprinkles&cat=0&pos=53

and the booties cake is one of my recent cakes and one of my favorite cakes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=icingandsprinkles&cat=0&pos=18

Good Luck and welcome to CC

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 9

Welcome to CC Bsuga! This site is awesome for learning so many technics in cake decorating. I have learned so much from all these members here=) I even went to the last pages and worked my way back. Pretty much...if you have a question, the answer is somewhere on here=) Jen

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 9

You've come to the right place for learning! I"ve been making cakes for 25 years and I have a big 'ole laundry list of the new techniques and ideas that I've learned from this site in less than a year! The experience and expertise on this site is unbeatable!

I am a self-taught decorator, so it is possible, but like a mom talking to her kids about college, I will tell you that I believe there is no such thing as too much education! Taking classes will expose you to many different aspects and techniques so you can at least get a taste of what you like and don't like. Post your pics on here..... don't be shy! CC'ers are great at pointing out what you are doing right and making great suggestions on what you might need to work on, along with ideas on how to do it easier.

And the big caution ..... this site is VERY addictive ..... NO KIDDING! thumbs_up.gif

Amy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy83 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 9

welcome!! I am new here too, so jump on the boat icon_lol.gif this site is great for reading tips, and learning new things. I have not taken a class, but I may. hope you enjoy it here!

mjjandz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjjandz Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 9

I found that reading and reading more was good for me. I also asked and still ask a ton of question. Everyone on here is a wealth of knowledge

enjoy

Amy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy83 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 9

I agree, books and the internet are where I learned what I know. then also tips from here!!

few days ago I didnt know how to do a 3 tier pillar cake, but with a little reading and home work, I did it. icon_razz.gif

LisasCakesNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisasCakesNM Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 9

Welcome to CC!!! This place is great. I would suggest taking some classes to help with the basics. Then coming here and expanding what you have learned! I took the three Wilton classes but I have learned so much more here. Everyone is so helpful and encouraging!! I would never have thought I would have been able to sculpt a cake or make gumpaste roses!! Welcome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%