The Clay/sculpey Aisle Of Michaels Is Your Friend

Decorating By MindiBrad Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 5:34pm by Lisa

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 21

I don't know if you all know this...but just in case....

you must check out the modelling clay/sculpey aisles at Michael's/AC Moore/JoAnns! what can you find there? tons of push molds that can be used for fondant and impression mats! I guess that anything made for clay could also be used for fondant! I bought an incredibly detailed face push mold for 1/3 the cost of what the online cake stores sell it for (although now I just have to see if actually works!)

It's gonna rain all weekend here....I'm having fun with my new toys! <doing happy dance>

20 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 21

Don't I know it! I bought the teddybear and people push molds--so cute! Haven't had a chance to use them yet. I saw the impression mats too and lots of books on sculpting. The aisle for making candles and soap is close to the clay one too so take a look there for some nice molds that can be used with chocolate or candy melts.

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 21

I've also seen a tool in the clay aisle that you can use to make 3 different sizes of fondant pearls. It's about $13 (Canadian) icon_smile.gif

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 21

I have the people and letter push mold. I almost used the people mold today but wasnt in the mood for how small and detailed it was. I hand molded a fairy looking thing to put on a my dd cupcake cake.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 21

I just want to BE ABLE to go into a store like that! icon_cry.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 21

Thanks for that info MiniBrad. I didn't even think to look in that section for molds.

Tea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 21

I bought an angel mold from the soap section too! Use some shortening on the mold before the fondant goes in, and the fondant angels can be easily removed.

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

I just want to BE ABLE to go into a store like that! icon_cry.gif

Flayv maybe theese pages I have found for polymer clay intructions can help you with fondant figures since you can't get push molds... Once you get the basics down then you can search clay figures on the web and do ones you like.
This one has good instuctions on a baby and fairy! http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/masterindex.html#lessonsprojects
Scroll down to "sculpture".
This one has a bunch of great projects: http://www.sculpey.com/projects_AllProjects.htm
But remember DO NOT Bake your fondant when the instuctions call for the clay to be baked. Also it is better to color your fondant first rather than try to paint with color later...the color gets shiney and sicky if you paint it on later.

Lisa Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 21

Thank you for those links gotcake! I've bookmarked them thumbs_up.gif .

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 21

thank you. I will have to take a look, I dont like being here at all... there are no decent stores to go in, the euro rate is not great for us, the stores close at 5 M-S no stores open except gas and some resturants on sundays.... I long so much for the great American areas the stores the shopping WOW... you sure miss all that when you cant get to them~

Lisa Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 21

I've been browsing through the projects from the link gotcake posted. It's amazing how much those projects translate into cake projects!

I had to share this one with everyone. Wouldn't this make the cutest baby shower cake?

http://www.sculpey.com/Projects/images/BabyBlocks/tower4.jpg

Lisa Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 21

Ooops...sorry! That link didn't show the instructions. This one does...

http://www.sculpey.com/Projects/projects_BabyBlocks.htm

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:23am
post #13 of 21

That is adorable Lisa! I can see myself quickly becoming engrossed in this idea. I can practice with my kids' Play dough. LOL I think I may need a pasta roller machine soon too. I'd better start selling my cakes to support all of these toys!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:35am
post #14 of 21

Oops! Almost forgot to mention, thank you to MindiBrad for posting this idea! I predict a shortage of the little Sculpey molds at Michael's and Hobby Lobbys everywhere! ha ha!

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:40am
post #15 of 21

icon_surprised.gif Don't forget to look in the self making soap aisle too at Michaels. I saw a bunch of molds there, some seashells, blocks, etc...

icon_wink.gif

Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 4:02am
post #16 of 21

Other sections that are great to check out are the stamps and stencils. You can use the stencils with the spray mists or airbrush. The stamps can be used to make patterns on the cake. You can fill in those patterns, leave them as imprints or brush some color on the stamp and use it that way.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 12:44pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

I've been browsing through the projects from the link gotcake posted. It's amazing how much those projects translate into cake projects!

I had to share this one with everyone. Wouldn't this make the cutest baby shower cake?

That would also make a cool cake. Make the blocks out of cake and cover in fondant, and then pipe figure the stork and everything else onto the cake sides.

Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

That would also make a cool cake. Make the blocks out of cake and cover in fondant, and then pipe figure the stork and everything else onto the cake sides.

That's exactly what I was thinking too m0use. The part where it shows you how to cover the blocks in clay...just make it cake and fondant. I was thinking too that you could mold the stuff on the sides using fondant/candy clay and the push molds.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:38pm
post #19 of 21

That would be cool to use as well.
Ok, I decided to bookmark the image so that I can file it away for something later. You could do soo much with this!

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 4:14pm
post #20 of 21

I knew people would like the lessons... But unlike polymer clay fondant warms up and gets sticky the more you play with it and it seems a little harder to smooth the spots where it is connected. So keep 10x around in a little bowl to help keep the fondant from sticking to you. I just love the santa baby ...
( http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/xmasbaby.html ) Just put different clothes on him and we are all making adorable babies... most of your fondant tools are a big help with the Fondant or sculpy but a toothpick can be a beat friend if you do not have tools. Enjoy!

I learned years ago how polymerclay and clay instuction books can keep 5 kids quiet and busy for hours.. so while your baking give them the clay to play with...
"There is an artist in everyone"

Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 5:34pm
post #21 of 21

That Santa baby is sooo cute! I see lots of possibilities with that one. How cute a little baby like that would be on top of a baby shower cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%