Need English-To-American Translations

Decorating By MindiBrad Updated 22 Apr 2005 , 9:20pm by elin

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 5

I am REALLY in love with the Lindy Smith books, but have a few questions that I am hoping some of you can help out with....

1. What is the difference between a Madeira cake and a...say...pudding in the mix box cake?

2. Does anyone know what Caster (superfine) sugar is? is it just regular sugar (which I am assuming it is, since she also talks about confectioners sugar). Is large-grain sugar (such as "Sugar in the Raw") a big enough thing in England that she needs to differentiate between that and "regular American sugar"?

3. Gum that the same as Wilton's Gum Tex? or the Gum Arabic that I can buy in art supply stores? or is it something different?

and lastly....4. Pastillage - is that the same thing as Gum Paste?

4 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 5

The one I know for sure is Castor sugar. It is superfine granulated sugar not confectioner or powdered sugar.

It is used by some bakers and also for sugaring flowers and fruit

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 5

Well I looked up Pastillage in my Cake Bible ( love this book) and the definition given is that it is a rolled fondant without any of the softening ingredients ( glycerine, corn syrup, or shortening). It dries bone hard and crusts more easily than fondant. Hope this helps.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 5

Oh, and it gives a recipe here for the pastillage if you're interested.

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 5

Well, lets see here in my lindy smith book.
1. Madeira cake is something same as buttercake.
2. Caster sugar is regular sugar, only very fine / small.
3. Gum tragant is the same as gum arabic. (wiltons gum tex I do not know what is.)
4. Pastillage is a type of gum paste that will set very hard in short time. Best used for constructing houses, cribs, and big things that need to be strong and hard.

Hope something here was helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%