Wasc W/ Fat Free Sour Cream: Will This Work?

Decorating By Monica_ Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 6:10pm by jenbenjr

Monica_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica_ Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hey guys, just wondering if anybody had ever used fat free sour cream in doctoring cake mixes before. While I can always just buy the regular stuff if it won't work, I do already have a tub of fat free sour cream sitting in my fridge and would like to use it up if that's a possibility. Since I know that fat contents and consistancy can do wierd things to a cake though, I thought I'd check in to see if anybody had already test that out.

Thanks for any help!

7 replies
CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 8

I'd try it on a small one. It's what I buy a lot of the time too.

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 8

I haven't attempted ff sour cream, but I have used ff yogurt with the extender recipe for cake mixes. I was able to notice a slight difference in the consistency, but none of my other family members noticed anything off. I say give it a try, what can it hurt to experiment, right? icon_smile.gif And if worse comes to worse, you can always make cake balls out of it! lol Good luck!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 8

I did it and it was fine, but we are used to fat free sour cream.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 8

I used it in that exact recipe by accident one time and no one was the wiser! So if I can cut fat or calories with out anyone noticing I do!

Monica_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica_ Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 8

Then I shall be sneaky and do the same! icon_razz.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 8

I just made it recently with light sour cream because it's what I had. I thought it was a bit drier, but still yummy.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 8

I just made cupcakes with the fat free sour cream and I substituted applesauce for the oil. They are still very good!!! Nobody guessed it was a low fat recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%