Chicago Hotels?

Lounge By potatocakes Updated 3 Apr 2006 , 6:47pm by momsandraven

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, my DH and I are planning a trip to Chicago in June and would love some recommendations on great places to stay! This will be a celebration for us of our 10th anniversary, so we'd like someplace pretty nice, but not so expensive that we can only afford McD's while we're there! icon_lol.gif Also, any suggestions on fun things to do while there are appreciated! Thanks!

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 9

Hi PC,

Too funny, I've lived in Chicago almost all my life, now I'm a stone's throw away in NW Ind. and my idea of vacation is visiting the horse park, in Lexington, KY!!!!

FYI, you can visit: www.gochicgocard.com

The site is promoting some kind of discount card for sightseeing.... but it's good for overview on all the big attractions. Just keep clicking and you'll wind up with a lot of useful info.

HTH a little.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 9

My favorite two places to go when in chicago are Navy Pier and Brookfield Zoo. I live just a few hours from chicago and have been there for quite a few things, but those two are my favorite. Just down the road from Navy Pier though is the Aquarium and Lots of different types of Museums.

Unfortunately the only hotel I have stayed in was next to the Rosemont Convention center-and I didn't spend much time in the hotel b/c I was there for work. However their food in their restaurants was great =) and their pool was relaxing =)

Also... I am going to Lexington, Ky next week for work. Are there any great cake stores you might be able to recommend in the area? I will have some free time one of the days I am there. Thx

Leily

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:12am
post #4 of 9

My son just came home from a college outing and they stayed in the Chicago Hilton for a night. He was impressed....but his previous motel/hotel experience has been Super-8 and Motel 6 !!!!!! He's easily impressed. Said he and his friend wrestled in the elevator landing of the 14th floor after midnight to see who got the twin bed and who got the queen.

I vote Hilton!!!!

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm so excited about this trip! We haven't gone anywhere outside Lexington without kids for about 3 years, so this will be fun!

JanH - You should come visit Lexington! It's a beautiful place. The only thing I hate, and I guess this is probably a problem everywhere, but there is so much development going on that we're losing all the beautiful horse farms. Everywhere you look there are new subdivisions, shopping centers, schools, etc. I would love it to stop so we still have some natural beauty to admire! I mean, why do people feel like they need to build on every single spot of green that is left? It reminds me of that song "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." icon_confused.gif

leily - Are you looking for specialty cake bakeries to visit to look at cakes, or cake supply stores? The only cake supply store we have is Michael's, and there's not a ton of stuff there, just the basic Wilton stuff. We're pretty short on bakeries, too. I think most of the people who are popular around here for wedding cakes and such operate from catering businesses or home. I know some have retail shops, but I haven't been to any. I went to a bridal fair in January and sampled a lot of cakes, but even then there were only about 4-5 cake decorators. It seems to be kind of a wide open market here, which is great for aspiring decorators like myself! icon_smile.gif Too bad you're not coming to Lexington today!!! I have three cakes due tomorrow, and I could use some extra help!!! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

Phoov - I think your son's pretty typical of college boys - easily impressed! They probably don't even pay attention to most things, as long as they've got a bed, a bathroom and cable TV, right? icon_smile.gif Actually, that's not just college boys, that's pretty much all men! icon_lol.gif The "niceness" of the hotel is really more for me than DH! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the Hilton suggestion!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 12:19am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocakes

leily - Are you looking for specialty cake bakeries to visit to look at cakes, or cake supply stores? The only cake supply store we have is Michael's, and there's not a ton of stuff there, just the basic Wilton stuff. We're pretty short on bakeries, too. I think most of the people who are popular around here for wedding cakes and such operate from catering businesses or home. I know some have retail shops, but I haven't been to any. I went to a bridal fair in January and sampled a lot of cakes, but even then there were only about 4-5 cake decorators. It seems to be kind of a wide open market here, which is great for aspiring decorators like myself! icon_smile.gif Too bad you're not coming to Lexington today!!! I have three cakes due tomorrow, and I could use some extra help!!! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

Hehe, I would love to help! Hehe, but... yeah plane doesn't leave for another 4 days =( I understand the whole bakery situation. All we have is Michaels and Hobby lobby pretty much. There is a hardware store that I am taking my cake classes at and they have a larger selection of Wilton than michaels and hobby lobby combined, however they don't have very many other brands of items... Maybe I can make a few suggestions =)

Thanks though-I will see if I can find out any information on hotels for you.

leily

YumFrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumFrosting Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 6:31am
post #7 of 9

I have stayed at the Westin in Chicago (the one near the airport) and it was super nice. They have these AWESOME beds called the "heavenly bed", it is this bed that looks like a cloud, all done in white and fluffy white comforter (you can buy the bed and bedding on-line at their web-site, it is so popular!). The decor at the Westin is unlike most hotel decor, it is a little on the modern edge and very cool. They also had the best hotel gym I've seen! The next time I go to Chicago, I will definitely stay at the Westin, but the one on Michigan Avenue, since that is my main focus when I"m in Chicago!

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 3:24am
post #8 of 9

I like the Marriot on Michigan Ave.! You can do all your shopping and pop back to your hotel in a second if you need a break. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Ohhhh Chicago pizzzzzzzzzzza! Have fun! Ask your concierge, Williams & Sonoma and Sur la Table is just right up the street. Have fun!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 9

I don't live too far from Chicago, so I've never stayed in the hotels there. HOWEVER, I did want to mention that the WILTON TENT SALE will be going on while you are here!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif It is June 2nd -20th. If you go to wilton.com and click on events you can see more info.
Other favorites of mine are the Shedd's Aquarium (although admission is a little pricey, IMHO) the zoo, and Navy Pier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%