Kitchen For Rent In Dallas Tx Area? Selling In Tx

Business By heavenscent Updated 7 Feb 2007 , 6:06pm by Bradymom6

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 13

I am really trying to get my buisness off the ground. As you all know the legal status out of your kitchen selling does not fly around these parts. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Any one else in the same boat?

12 replies
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 13

That is funny because I was just trying to do a google search about 5 minutes ago to see if I could find kitchen space for rent in the Frisco, Plano, Carrollton area. I did not even know what to search on though.

I have only been doing cakes for friends and family but I am starting to get requests from their friends. The thing is I would only need a kitchen about once a week or less!

Let us know if you find out something.

Cindy

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 13

Please let me know if you find anything out as well. My story is the same as yours. I actually live in the Lewisville area so you are not far away at all

danaintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danaintx Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 13

I found a place a month ago - check with donuts shops, they often close by lunch, or other places that are only open for a short period. The place I lease is a tea room and is only open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. - I have access the rest of the time, including storage, etc. I was able to put my own fridge in to keep my items, it has become more of a shared space relationship almost. The appliances aren't ideal (no professional baking ovens, small kitchen - older house, so they are allowed to use residential appliances), but it is a licensed kitchen and a good location, so I'm thrilled and it has worked out well. Still working on exactly what kind of insurance I need, etc. but the food handlers thing has already been taken care of and I've been actually baking there for about two weeks.

Another good place to check is churches - they often have licensed kitchens (though sometimes their kitchens aren't licensed). Good luck, it is well worth it when you find the right place!

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:51am
post #5 of 13

Danaintx,

If you find a place to share/rent then what do you have to do? Do you have to get a license or something just for you to do business?

Cindy

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 5:11am
post #6 of 13

Hello - I used to live in Lewisville, Texas!! Small worls. I used to sublease the kitchen inside an antique store- it used to be called Nostalgia it was off Hwy 121 in a stip - the strip is across from Kroger's grocery and it I know has been bought and renamed - but was still a antique store and I believe the kitchen is a tea/sandwich shop only open for lunch. You should really check it out. It was perfect for me - when I was there. The previous owner was awesome - you never know, new owners might like the help on the rent. If not - try churches in the area. I will be visiting my mom in April and can't wait to see if Lewisville has changed any.

FLOWERGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FLOWERGEL Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 5:25am
post #7 of 13

hello to everyone on this subject
some church have a kitchen in the bottom part of the church have anyone try that and a small donation a month for the use of the kitchen

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 5:42am
post #8 of 13

Some states require bars/clubs to have a kitchen, even if they don't offer food! Go figure. Check with them if that applies to your state. Maybe call some small caterers to see where they rent their kitchen space (if they're inclined to be helpful!). Some breakfast cafes close around 2pm; check with them. I read somewhere that one commercial kitchen charged $20 hour; the trick is to do as much prep work as you can at home.

mcshay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcshay Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 13

Nice to meet other Texans here! I live in Justin area, so I am not far from most of you.

tracy702: Lewsiville has not changed much. That if if you don't count the George Bush Turnpike and the new 121 road construction. There is also the new Costco, SuperTarget, new Super Wal-Mart, shopping centers, eating places, etc. All the appartments that have built up around the mall. Nope, still the same old place.

I'm still a real newbie to the cake biz, but have been I'm looking to get going full time at this in two years. I've got a plan and I'm sticking to it! The donut shop and tea room idea is awesome. I would try looking at churches also. I'm going to ask my church if I can rent out of them when I "get established". Right now, I'm still working on the finer points of smooth icing with no crumbs. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've been looking into the cost of a license, but figure I'll do that this summer when I'm on summer break from teaching.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 13

I live in Rowlett and our community center has a kitchen they lease out. Just a thought.

supermom010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermom010 Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 13

I wanted to do this for a while, but those rules keep getting in the way. The church thing sounds like a good idea, maybe I'll ask aroundicon_smile.gif

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 12:36am
post #12 of 13

Oh mcalhoun--I'm in Rowlett too!! That's interesting about the community center, is that where you rent from? I wish I would have known that, I've gone into business with a good friend of mine, so I don't need it now. But that would have been nice and easy!

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 13

I just found this topic and am so glad that I did. I have a donut shop that just opened up right behind my house. I will have to look into that. There are also several community centers and a tea room in my area, I will check into those also. I will also try calling some churches. I would think that some Catholic churches that are also schools might work. Thanks for the great ideas. One question though, if I do find a place, how do I get licensed?
Thanks,
Bradymom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%