Advertising With Your Mailbox!

Business By suzystewart Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 12:05am by peacockplace

suzystewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzystewart Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 18

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I wanted to make my mailbox look like a wedding cake. We are going to be moving to a high traffic area and I thought that people would notice that. I have looked and looked for a cake mailbox, and I can't find one. There are mailboxes shaped like any kind of animal you could think of, so surely this would be possible.
Does anyone have one, or do you have an idea on how to make one?
Thanks

17 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 18

get SQUARE metal mailbox.

find image of cake you like.

print out to size you want it to be (may have to tile it across several pages and tape together.

get MARINE grade plywood (made for WET areas)

cut printout out to make template and trace onto the plywood.

cut out the plywood.

Paint it "purty"

attach to sides of mailbox w/ bolts (put washers on both ends for extra support -- esp. important on inside of mailbox.

now if really crafty

the would cake sides could be the sides of a homemade mail box. make top, bottom, back and door from the leftover plywood.

and if building the whole shebang...be sure to slope roof of mailbox so rain runs off and caulk all the seams (high front w/ door sloping to lower back)

-----------------------

or.....

make the cake be the support of the mailbox...

lower tiers could be planters with the flowers being the decorations on the sides of the tiers

and the top tier holds a store bought mailbox.

suzystewart Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks Doug.
Do you have one? If so, do you have pictures? I really want to see one before I attempt it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:06am
post #4 of 18

no...mines a plain ol nothing of a mailbox.

tho' here's a painted one that show how to use a barrel -- just paint to look like a cake.
http://www.deltanewsweb.com/archives/images/20000918_mailbox.jpg

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:46am
post #5 of 18

Why not make your own? I mean, if you are sort of creative and have some simple woodworking supplies...... I would think that if you got two 12 inch round disks of wood (pine,etc.) and then get a 6 inch strip of plywood cut the diameter of the circle ( minus 4-5 inches for the opening - to put the mail in.) Wrap the plywood around the two discs and nail (be sure to get at least 1/2 inch disks).

So then you would basically have what amounts to a 12 inch cake 'dummy' with a hole in the front. Then you could put a second tier on top and paint it like a small tiered wedding cake.

** Before wrapping the 12 inch disks in plywood, you would want to screw it into the wood base. I also can visualize that flexible wood "screen' trim around the edges to give it a clean look......

I am sure this sounds kooky but I can totally visualize it in my head and I am so ticked because we have those metal boxes for every 12 houses so I can't do this!! Bummer!!!

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:33am
post #6 of 18

A mailbox sounds like a cool idea. I wouldn't put any type of business name on it though, the postal service might have a problem with that unless it was strictly for business use only. If your not legal, you don't want to have the wrong person see it. Let us know how it turns out.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:02am
post #7 of 18

You can make a styrofoam tiered cake and cut it in half and then glue it around your existing mailbox.

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:12am
post #8 of 18

ok, this is my thought. go to a commercial store that makes business signs out of magnets and/or vinyl decals, like on windows and cars. they could custom make scallops, flowers etc. and you could put them on a white mailbox.

i like the look of the new ..scion car.. its so square shaped, i wish i had the money to buy a white one then i would have the scallops made and stuff to add to it to make it look like a wedding cake and advertise that way while driving. i can picture this in my head, it would be so cute! and unique, like a mail box decorated.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:30am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebee

A mailbox sounds like a cool idea. I wouldn't put any type of business name on it though, the postal service might have a problem with that unless it was strictly for business use only. If your not legal, you don't want to have the wrong person see it. Let us know how it turns out.

Also, my town business license says I can not have my address on any promotional materials, including my business cards. To me, that would also mean I can't have my business name on my mailbox.

??

qtcakes Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:36am
post #10 of 18

karen just desserts,
that just doesnt even make sense. you cant put your address on your business cards? i can see not being able on a mailbox. why did they say you cant on your business cards. if you are licensed you should be able too.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:09pm
post #11 of 18

Residential businesses can not advertise their address where I live so that the "traffic" does not increase in residential areas due to that business. That's what I was told anyway. May be more to do with discouraging illegal home businesses? I don't know. It's not been an issue for me.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 18

Believe me, if your mailbox is shaped like a big o cake, people are going to know who you are w/o advertising a name!!

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:44pm
post #13 of 18

Please send pictures when you complete it, it sounds so cute!!!

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:51pm
post #14 of 18

I would recommend that you check with your postal service first to make sure they will even let you do this. There may be restrictions on what you can and can't have as a mailbox.

suzystewart Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:55pm
post #15 of 18

I think I found someone that can make it for me. I will post the pictures when he finishes it. Thank you for all your suggestions!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 5:35pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensjustdessert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebee

Also, my town business license says I can not have my address on any promotional materials, including my business cards. To me, that would also mean I can't have my business name on my mailbox.

??

I can't have my address either. But another concern to check into is make sure that you can have a sign for your business at your home. In my town I can not have a sign more than 1 foot by 1 foot with my business name on it, and I can not have it anywhere but in a window of my home. Althought I dont' have to worry about a sign b/c I can't have customers come to my house anyways, everything must be delivery.

qtcakes Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:03pm
post #17 of 18

i agree with the other post, that even just a shape of a cake will let people know even without your business name on it.
ive seen john deere tractor mailboxes and fish, etc. im sure a cake would be fine.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:05am
post #18 of 18

I want to see the finished product!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%