White Dots In Green Icing

Decorating By jenifergilliland Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 12:28am by bcake1960

jenifergilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenifergilliland Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 18

Can someone tell me why I am getting white dots in my green icing? It appears the next day. I was wondering what I need to do to keep it from doing that.

17 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 18

How odd - I've never seen that B4, although I bet you'll get some posts from some of the experts who know what to do!

What type of icing are you using, are you sifting your powdered sugar, and is your butter at room temperature?

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 18

Do you add salt to your icing? If so, it could be that the salt did not dissolve. The best way to alleviate that problem is to dissolve the salt in any of the liquids that you add to the icing. icon_smile.gif

jenifergilliland Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 18

I do use popcorn salt in the Wilton Buttercream.

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:43am
post #5 of 18

I use salt in my recipe also. I do not dissolve it, instead I let the colored icing sit for about 1 hour (overnight if I have the time). Then I stir it again really well. It won't happen after that.

jenifergilliland Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:27am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMama

I use salt in my recipe also. I do not dissolve it, instead I let the colored icing sit for about 1 hour (overnight if I have the time). Then I stir it again really well. It won't happen after that.

Thanks. I will go ahead and make it tonight then and try that. Both of my cakes I did last year that had green icing all over it spotted. I am doing a baseball stadium cake this weekend and I don't want that to happen again.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifergilliland

I do use popcorn salt in the Wilton Buttercream.

I use popcorn salt as well and still dissolve it in the water. I never have issues with white spots in in green, black or any of the darker colors that it usually happens in.

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 18

Does it only happen with green icing? Weird!

jenifergilliland Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeepgrl

Does it only happen with green icing? Weird!

That is the only color it does it to. And it is when I ice the entire cake that it does that to.

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

That is the only color it does it to.

I've had the same problem with purple. It seems like it is the darker colors that do it. I didn't use any salt. It would be nice to figure this one out.

~yorkiemum icon_sad.gif

carries_creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carries_creations Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 18

The same thing happened to me the other day! I pre-made all of my icings that I needed for class-- about 2 days early. When I got to class- all of my colors --pink and green especially- had swhite spots on them. I just remixed it well, and iced my cakes, and had no further problems. It could be the salt, or maybe just some shortening that rises to the top that didn't grab the color tints as well.

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:53pm
post #12 of 18

i heard that it helps to sift your ps

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 18

icon_cool.gif Strange.

kumba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kumba Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:05am
post #14 of 18

It could be your water. Had a student make icing with tap water and got spots. The next recipe she made she used bottled water and didn't have any spots and the water was the only difference in the icing. Don't always know what they add to tap water.

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:07am
post #15 of 18

it's the salt

blondewithabug41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondewithabug41 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:16am
post #16 of 18

I've gotten those in icing before, and I didn't use any salt. Weird.

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:17am
post #17 of 18

The problem could be that there is iodine in the popcorn salt. Check the labe and see if it is added. The salt is not completly disolved in the icing. So when you go to ice the cake you have these salt cyrstals that are now exposed to light and air. The salt then starts to lose its ionic bonds, slowly disolving do to the moisture of the frosting. This can release the iodine from its crystal latice structure. The iodine is very volitile (goes into the gas stage easly and quickly) leaving the white spots.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:28am
post #18 of 18

I have had that happen also. The frosting color was yellow. I started adding the salt with the liquids and have not had it happen since. Its dissapointing to put all that work into your cake and have that happen, hopefully you will find your way here... tons of experience! good luck. icon_smile.gifdetective.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%