Exciting News For Georgia Bakers!!!!

Business By dolcesunshine20 Updated 15 May 2009 , 5:15pm by Kavingate

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:40pm
post #61 of 78

Being new to cakes, I wouldn't be able to contribute much except maybe part of the "clean up crew" but I would love to hang out and learn from everyone. I'm in Fayetteville, Fayette County.

kos

rachmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachmakescakes Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:40pm
post #62 of 78

There's another topic, "GA Bakers," that says the law did not pass. That person spoke with an inspector and he said it didn't pass. That was posted on June 3rd and I just wanted to know if that's correct, or not.

Thanks!
Rachael

Oh, and I'm new here. Hi, everyone!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:52pm
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmakescakes

There's another topic, "GA Bakers," that says the law did not pass. That person spoke with an inspector and he said it didn't pass. That was posted on June 3rd and I just wanted to know if that's correct, or not.

Thanks!
Rachael
Oh, and I'm new here. Hi, everyone!

she's right here's the link

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-27466-georiga.html+bakers

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 3:53pm
post #64 of 78

So should we start a petition or
start a letter /email campaign?

I think we should let them know that it is not
just the Pie Lady
That is interested in this law being passed.

rachmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachmakescakes Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 4:21pm
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdmarie

So should we start a petition or
start a letter /email campaign?

I think we should let them know that it is not
just the Pie Lady
That is interested in this law being passed.

I think that's a great idea! I'm willing to do anything I can to help.

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:21pm
post #66 of 78
BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #67 of 78

Golly! Wish this were Florida. Our Capitol is close to Georgia, hope it trickles down. icon_smile.gif

Happy caking Georgians!

Cheers!

Kandee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandee Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:42pm
post #68 of 78

OK. Let me get this straight. We can make fruit pies, cakes etc. at home, but we can only sell at Farmer's Markets and social events? But we can't sell to individuals or restaurants? I also noticed that cookies were not mentioned. I hate reading these legislature things. They are so complicated to comphrehend.

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:25am
post #69 of 78

It looks as though it didn't pass. The status is listed as "Senate disagrees". I've emailed the GA senator, and I've asked him about bringing this up again. I've also asked if there's anyone else I can contact about this issue.

Let's start an email campaign to bring this to our representatives' attention! icon_smile.gif))

Kandee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandee Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:53pm
post #70 of 78

Sounds good. Just let me know. I'll sign.

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:18pm
post #71 of 78

where does this stand??

Kavingate Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:35am
post #72 of 78

I emailed Saxby Chambliss, and just got this reply:

Because this is a state issue, I encourage you to contact your Representative or Senator in the General Assembly or Governor Perdue, whose address is listed below:

Office of Governor Sonny Perdue
Georgia State Capitol
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-1776

http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,78006749_94820188,00.html

I have emailed Gov. Purdue, and I encourage all GA bakers to do the same! (Click on the link to his website above, and it should take you to the "Contact Gov. Purdue" form.) Here's my email to him:

Dear Governor Purdue,

I'm writing in regards to SB 96 - Halal Foods; regulate preparation, marketing, sale, and serving; punishment for violations.

I would like to know what would be necessary to get this bill back up for a vote. As far as I can tell, the House and Senate disagreed on it, and it has been lying dormant since 2006.

I decorate cakes as a hobby, and I would dearly love to be able to bake out of my home to help my family financially. I have been offered the use of a friend's cake shop kitchen, but it would difficult for me, as I have three small children. To bake and decorate a cake, I would be required to pack up an enormous amount of equipment and haul it to her shop and back home again. I would also have to hire a babysitter, which I simply cannot afford.

Please let me know if this is something you can help me with, or let me know if I need to contact someone other than yourself. I'm having trouble figuring out all the ins and outs of the legislature website!!!

Thank you!

I will post again when I hear back.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:40pm
post #73 of 78

That's awesome! I wish they would do that in my state!

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:29am
post #74 of 78

I just sent my email! I used pieces of yours and changed them up a bit. Definitely let us know if you get a response, and I will do the same!

Kavingate Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #75 of 78

I still haven't heard back...

I'll probably call on Monday!

NicolleC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicolleC Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #76 of 78

I just read this entire thread. What a rollercoaster. Any update since the weekend? I am brand new here and have spent hours here literally reading and reading since I discovered you all yesterday.

Kavingate Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #77 of 78

Sorry, Nicolle, I only just saw this again.

I called today and left a message with my rep, and I'll call again tomorrow if I don't hear back by mid-morning. I'm tired of being bounced around from department to department to get an answer!

Kavingate Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #78 of 78

O.K. I talked with aides in two different senators' offices just now.

The bill was SB 96 from March 28, 2006. It passed the house, but not the senate. (There's another, more recent SB 96, as the numbers are recycled every 2 years.)

The bill is here:
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/sum/sb96.htm

I was told that I need to formally write to two senators (my local one, and the one who introduced the bill originally) to ask if they would be willing to bring this bill up again next session.

The very bad news is that the next session doesn't begin until next January. *sigh*

So, even if one of the senators jumps at the chance to re-introduce it, it could be ages before anything happens.

Anyway, I'm writing my letters, and I'll get them sent out. I asked about having other people write as well, and they said that one person could ask to get it re-introduced. I guess that having other people support the effort comes once the bill is back up.

I'll post again, if anything else happens, but it looks like it'll be while.

icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%