Class For Fondant And Gum Paste

Decorating By Tricia0312 Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 3:50am by Confectionary2

Tricia0312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tricia0312 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 7

I signed up (again) for the Wilton Class on gumpaste and fondant. I had signed up a time beofre, but they did not have enough students to fill the class, so it was cancelled.

Question - has anyone taken the class - is it good? Did you learn a lot? Just asking - I have 3 boys, work full time so giving up 2 hours a week is huge for me.

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tricia

6 replies
crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 7

It was good but not great. It is basic with not a lot of flowers taught. There are a bunch of other threads on this class. Check them out.

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 7

I heard it was a review of Wilton Course 3 with a few gumpaste flowers taught. I heard it was not worth it if you took Course 3.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 7

It was a good class, if you did not have all three of the other wilton classes. It was a lot of repeat from class 3. I did learn to make the 3 flowers, carnation, daisy, and fantasy flower. I learned how to use the fondant tools. but beyond that, I was dissappointed and wrote an email to Wilton to let them know I was dissappointed. I was hoping for more flowers - similar to the gumpaste flowers kit they sell.
If you don't have experience with fondant, take the class because it does teach you that - I was bored.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 7

If you have never worked with gumpaste I think the class is good because you get a feel of how to work with it and make a few flowers. You will also learn how to cover a board if you have never done that. How to make gumpaste glue and of course any class is fun to take so you get to hang out with other cake lovers and have fun.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:46am
post #6 of 7

I disagree that it is just a review of C3 with some flowers. While there is some repeat information, I feel that there is so much going on the one night my students do fondant in C3 that I can't give them all the information about fondant. Or that with everything going on that they don't always remember it later.

Covering a cake board was not done in C3, nor was the drape, handkerchief, or ribbon garland/border. There are the flowers, the fondant favor box and the borders.

Yes some of it can be done just by reading, but then again so can most of the things in the other courses. Some people are more visual learners or need someone to walk them through it.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:50am
post #7 of 7

Well, I will start the class Tuesday. For the cost of it I figure I have nothing to loose (I can understand the debate on giving up time!). I am just learning and I know that I need the basics icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%