Crisco Or Off Brand?

Decorating By ssink1 Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm by tyty

ssink1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssink1 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 44

Ok, I have a question.... Has anyone use the off brand of Crisco to make their icing or cookies. I've always used Crisco but I was wondering if the off brand would work just as well. Thanks!

43 replies
CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 44

If I don't need "pure" white icing I'll use the brand from Aldi's. It seems to be creamier than crisco so i don't use as much liquid in my icing. I like it just as well though!!
Carrie

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 44

My Wilton's class instructor says the off brands don't hold up as well as Crisco.

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 44

I tried a store brand one time, and it was terrible! I couldn't get the frosting stiff enough to decorate with. I went back to crisco, and will stay.
I wonder how it will change when they take out the trans fat?

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 44

I used to use the off brand, but now that I do cakes for other people, I use the Crisco brand. A lot of times, some store's off brands are made by the same company that makes the name brand. Just look at the labels and see how similar they are.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeL8T

If I don't need "pure" white icing I'll use the brand from Aldi's. It seems to be creamier than crisco so i don't use as much liquid in my icing. I like it just as well though!!
Carrie

I tried the Aldi brand and I couldn't get my icing thick enough. Was I using too much water or milk. Should I just add less liquid?

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 44

I tried an off brand once and it was not nearly as good, the icing wouldn't get the right consistency. I don't know why there is such a difference but there is.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 44

i've always used the store brand for my bc (i go to stop & shop here) and never had a problem. i love the taste of my bc and never had any trouble with the consistency.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 44

The way I see it is, If you're gonna be doing them for other people (especially if you're gonna sell them) you've gotta use good quality ingredients.

dhawkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhawkins Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 44

Wesson brand is as good, but I would never use a store or no name brand as they have a heavy, greasy taste and a granular feel to them as far as I'm concerned.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 44

No off brand. sometimes cheap isn't a good thing. I ran out one time in the middle of a cake and used wal-mart brand. It was not good at all. I only use butter now though cause it taste so much better.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 44

I've used both name brand and store brand in my BC and can't tell the difference.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 44

NO to off brand!!! I made the mistake of trying that once to save some money and OH MY GOSH!!!! Not good news!!

ssink1 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:27pm
post #14 of 44

Ok, now I have another question.... Can you use Butter flavored Crisco in the butter cream dream? Would you just cut out some of the butter?

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbur10

I've used both name brand and store brand in my BC and can't tell the difference.

DITTO thumbs_up.gif

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 44

I personally would not reccomend using the butter flavored crisco. I tried that once, and one time only, and I thought the BC was so gross! It had a really artificial butter taste, tasted really fake.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm
post #17 of 44

I tried the off brand once and never again. Crisco is best.

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 44

I only use the wal-mart brand but I do half shortening and half real butter. I don't find there to be a difference.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:48pm
post #19 of 44

I tried the Walmart brand and couldn't get the consistency right. I hear High ratio is great.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:49pm
post #20 of 44

I always use the Kroger off brand. I haven't had any problem.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:06pm
post #21 of 44

I TOO HAVE TRIED AN OFF BRAND.........I AGREE....NEVER AGAIN....!

I ENDED UP WITH SUCH A SUGAR HIGH, TRYING TO GET THE RIGHT TASTE AND CONSISTANCY..........

ORGINIAL CRISCO WORKS BEST FOR ME .

HAPPY BAKING..

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:22pm
post #22 of 44

I use both Walmart & Kroger brands, BC turns out perfect & delicious... never any issues.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:33pm
post #23 of 44

I HAVE NEVER MADE A BUTTER CREAM ICING....

MY ICING CONSISTS OF P. SUGAR, CRISCO AND MILK......LIGHT, FLUFFY, NOT TO SWEET AND HOLDS WELL.......SO I KNOW FOR MY FROSTING THAT REGULAR CRISCO WORKS BEST.

WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES AND RECEIPTS FOR ICING......IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO KNOW WHAT WORKS AND DOESN'T WORK FOR OTHERS.....

HAPPY BAKING

ssink1 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 5:48pm
post #24 of 44

Thank you for all your help everyone!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:19pm
post #25 of 44

be careful using butter flavored crisco etc. as they use dyes to make it the "butter color" it can screw up your coloring when you color your BC. Your blue will look greenish etc.

Judi

eema2four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eema2four Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:34pm
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, now I have another question.... Can you use Butter flavored Crisco in the butter cream dream? Would you just cut out some of the butter?

You could definitely substitute a SMALL amount of the BFC, certainly not even half! As others have said it has a very artificial taste.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:41pm
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by selahmycat

I tried a store brand one time, and it was terrible! I couldn't get the frosting stiff enough to decorate with. I went back to crisco, and will stay.
I wonder how it will change when they take out the trans fat?

AMEN! not wanting to sound like a commercial but ".....I tried the cheaper brand once....'! and never again!!! Icing wouldnt' crust and it was the only time my BC roses wouldn't stay on the cake. I also find that off-brands leave a taste of a film on the roof of my mouth.

If it's not Crisco, it doesn't go on one of my wedding cakes.

Jopalis Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:16pm
post #28 of 44

TerryLee...I think what you are making is buttercream. Just your favorite recipe for it....

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:18pm
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I also find that off-brands leave a taste of a film on the roof of my mouth.

I agree. I used to use Aldi brand shortening all the time, and then one time I decided to try Crisco. I could tell a significant difference in taste and texture. So now, I just stock up on the big containers of Crisco at Costco, and that's all I use (my BC is half Crisco, half butter).

Jopalis Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:22pm
post #30 of 44

Bought some high ratio today... I hear it is the best w/no greasiness left in your mouth. Going to try it on my Easter cake. I'm not crazy about Crisco either but it works better for me than generic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%