How Much Should I Charge For Tiffany Box Cake?

Decorating By JDent28 Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 6:18am by jenncampbell007

JDent28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JDent28 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:59am
post #1 of 11

On the homepage in the articles section, you'll find "How to Make a Gumpaste Bow" which features a 2-tiered Tiffany's giftbox cake w/ fondant bow. How much would you charge for this exact cake to feed 50 people?

10 replies
franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:08am
post #2 of 11

Hi,

I posted that article, and I can tell you that the cake in the instructions was a 9 inch and a 6 inch square. I charge a minimum of $350 for this cake.
I'm not sure how much that will help you if you're in the states. But it's not difficult to make and you could use your standard serving charge for something like this. That is $5 per serve, or whatever it is you charge.

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:34am
post #3 of 11

I've made this cake before as well. It was for a friend so I charged less than for someone I didn't know, but it was $65 (8xicon_cool.gif . It all depends upon your area.

JDent28 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:37am
post #4 of 11

Fran,

Thanks so much for replying! Your cake is fantastic. What method did you use to make the box top? How did you achieve the "Tiffany" blue? And finally, what color luster dust did you use? Thanks so much! (Gee, I never thought the person who made that cake would be giving me personal advice! How great is that??) : )

franjmc Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:23am
post #5 of 11

Oh you're cute! icon_smile.gif

The blue colour can be achieved in many different ways, but I find Teal works great, sometimes I add a little Capri blue to it, I have a box for reference.
The lustre on the bow is super pearl shimmer, and the recipe for the modelling paste is also posted on CC, just check out my recipes it's there.
The lid is made by first covering the box underneath, but only the sides, not the top. Then roll out the piece for the top, place it on top of your cake, place a piece of greaseproof paper over it, then an old cake board, larger than the cake by about 6 inches, and flip the whole thing over so the cake is resting on the lid piece. Trim the edges leaving about an inch all around and then cut a 1 inch square from each corner, moisten the side pieces, and flip the cake back. The sides will naturally fall into place, but you should give them a bit of a smooth with a fondant smoother, and pinch the corner joins together.
I know it sounds scary, flipping cakes over like that, but I do this on nearly every cake I make, and I haven't dropped one yet.....nearly, but not quite icon_wink.gif It can be quite difficult on larger cakes, but just take your time and you'll be fine.
I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks Franjmc! I am planning to make a little gift box cake to go with a gift bag cake in a couple of weeks, and your instructions will save me so much time trying to figure out how to do it!

Kelly

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 11

Boy I'm glad this came up! Good thoughts here! icon_biggrin.gif

JDent28 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 11

Fran,

You are a lifesaver! It does sound scary, but based on the picture, your method obviously works, so I'm all in! Thanks.

Jamie

franjmc Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 11

Jamie, you're more than welcome, I hope it all works out, don't forget the photo icon_wink.gif

craisan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craisan Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:40am
post #10 of 11

Hi Fran,

Can you please email me at [email protected]? I'm making a Tiffany cake for a friend this Thursday! I must master the giftbox LID look? I read your comment earlier on it, but I'm a little confused and wanted to ask you directly. I would REALLY appreciate it if you can write me!!! Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

jenncampbell007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncampbell007 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:18am
post #11 of 11

From experience the best thing you can use to get a great clean looking box top is rolled out chilled (almost frozen) pieces of modeling chocolate. It cuts very clean when chilled. You could also used chilled fondant, but overall modeling chocolate is just better for this type of thing. However, it is more expensive to make it since it has to be made from real white (or dark) chocolate.

Best way for color is to color it while it's in its liquid state or you can just airbrush it. Also, if you use an airbrush and see that the paint is "clotting," you can wipe it off with some vodka and then brush it with a little powdered sugar or corn starch and then it will absorb the airbrush color better and become a smooth finish..

Hope this helps-Trial and Error icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%