Help! Canon Printer- Heads Clogged, Need Help!

Decorating By Moofiebonbon Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 1:52pm by CupOfButter

Moofiebonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moofiebonbon Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 9

Today has been the day from heck! I have a Canon i9900 printer for my edible images, and have only ran about 30-40 sheets through it and I am clogged. I have worked on this all day- ahhh! NOw I have removed the print head (as suggested in the article here on CC) and I was going to run warm water and a possible purge, but the head has electrical contacts on it and I am afraid that water would be no good. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

8 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:05am
post #2 of 9

Welcome to the club. I've spent the better part of today tryint to clear a clogg. Do a search using the keywor clogged, it will give you lots of helpful inifromation. thumbs_up.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:23am
post #3 of 9

I have a different model, but it has electronic contacts on it, too. I just used an eye dropper and carefully placed the water where it wouldn't touch the contacts. Worked like a charm. It took a few cleanings (through the maintenance menu) after it was installed to get everything running totally smoothly...but the water droplets broke the clog up so that the cleaning could proceed and get things back in shape.

Moofiebonbon Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:37am
post #4 of 9

OMG! I finally figured it out! Worked on it for about 8 hours straight, but finally got it. Thank you for your search tip. I had actually got to a point where I didn't give a hoot anymore if I destroyed the head and I ran HOT water through it 6 times, alternating with airbrush cleaner. Also purging in between. I used the airbrush to blow air through the heads, dried really well, reinstalled and did 1 deep cleaning after all of that and finally got them clear. Geeze, I will never let that happen again!
My 17 year old daughter and I are covered in edible ink, we laughed, I cried a little, but in the end it all worked out.
Thanks again!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:27am
post #5 of 9

Glad your clog is cleared thumbs_up.gif You might want to look into a steam jet cleaner for stubborn clogs if you get another. KK sells one. Also, water and plastic safe cleaners like airbrush cleaning fluid or windex won't hurt the contacts. Just be sure to dry well before reinserting.

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:12am
post #6 of 9

Wally World and Kohls also sells the steam cleaners for about $25-30. I also ordered an extra print head from Canon to have on hand in case mine gets ruined so I am not in a bind.

Moofiebonbon Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all. I will be looking into buying a steam jet cleaner. I was actually ready to buy a new print head and thought befor I did I would just try the hot water, nothing to lose I guess. icon_sad.gif But it did work. icon_biggrin.gif I dried it really well also. I was so shocked as to how clogged it got! Because I am fairly new to cake decorating, some weeks I don't use the printer at all and decorate the regular way. I will now remove my ink cartridges and store my cleaner ones in it.
I am not sure how much Canon charges for a print head, but I was able to find a couple of places online that offer mine for around $100, which if I am thinking right, Canon probably charges a heck of lot more. I may get one for a "just in case"
Thank you all again for your help, you CCers ROCK!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 9

I just ordered a new printhead from ebay. The prices were good with great feedback. It should be here soon. I've had mine soaking in windex all night. Maybe that will help it.

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 9

I paid $40 for mine straight from Canon. $100 sound awful high!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%