Help!!! With Fbct

Decorating By jenbakescakes Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 10:50pm by TexasSugar

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 7

Ok...I tried the FBCT for the first time, using the tutorial as a guide (thanks CCC!) but couldn't figure out what tip to use to fill in! I ended up outlining with tip 2 and filling in with 5. After I filled in, I tried to use a small spatula to smooth it out, but didn't want to do it too much cause I didn't want the underneath to smear. When I just put it on my cake, you can see the lines where I piped it. Just wondering how you fill it in so you don't see all the lines?? You may be able to see it in the pic. Hope this made sense!!

6 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:09am
post #2 of 7

This is what Iposted to someone awhile ago--this is how I do them and they turn out great:

--I use clear celophane to put my image on. Some people use the clear vinyl or wax paper. I found that celophane works great!
--Outline first in a medium to stiff consistency with a tip #2 (but that could be adjusted depending on the image design).
--put it in the freezer to chill. While waiting, I get my bags ready for fill.
--pull the image out of the freezer and do small detailed areas first (what the outline is still frozen hard. If there are a lot of small detailed areas, I may shove it back in the freezer a number of times.
--when I fill the larger areas, I use as large of a tip that I can for that area.
--Now, before I shove that in the freezer again, I take the taped image off the bottom of my plexiglass. I lift it over my head (don't really like flipping it over, cause I have had one fall off despite the fact that it was taped down... ) and then I take a tooth pick and swirl it around in each area to get rid of air bubbles, blend any lines left from the fill-in process and to make sure all of the icing made it to the edge of the outline. Sometimes it takes a lot of cleaning of the toothpick and using a new one for lighter colors vs. darker colors. After each area has been fixed, I make sure I smooth down any peaks left from fixing.
--Now at this point the image is filled with all colors, nice and fixed of a lot of the air bubbles and I don't have and streaky lines. I put it in the freezer again. While that is in the freezer, I prepare a bag of icing that I want to use as the base color (usually the same color as the cake, but not always) and put on a tip 10.
--take the image out of the freezer and then use that bag of icing that I just prepared, I outline the image again, I don't go over the edge of the original outline I did with the tip 2. I fill in the rest and then take my spatula and smooth it down and make sure it is level.
--The put in the freezer until I am ready to put it on the cake.

They key for me was that I didn't want a 1/4" thick or more FBCT image on my cake--I wanted it as thin as possible and I can get them to about 1/8" or less now. It does make them more fragile, so I take it right out of the freezer and stick it on the cake--no taking my time! Now I don't have this image so high and I don't have to add a border to hide any gaps. In my photo area, there is a 50th b-day disco pic and the body is a FBCT. You can't even tell that the background color that I put on was black. I hope that helps.

jenbakescakes Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:19am
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much! That is a big help!! I think if I had used that method it would have turned out a LOT better. But not too shabby for a first try. It just happens to be my dog's b-day today so I did a cake with a tracing of his face I got from a picture. Luckily, he's not too critical! I tried to post a pic but it didn't work, something about wrong size. Oh well....Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

jenbakescakes Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 7

Hey I did get the picture to post in my photos. It's the one that says My Dog Diesel. Check it out if you get a chance!

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 7

Hey! The cake looks great! You can't even see the lines in the pic! Good job! icon_biggrin.gif

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 7

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif thank you all of you icon_biggrin.gif ill be doing the bc method ill let you know how it went

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 7

I use a soft thin icing. Also something I have learned is that if you keep your tip buried in the icing as you are piping you don't pipe as many wormy areas.

I put mine in the freezer then pull it out after about 10 mins and filp it over then use my fingers to kinda press and smooth out any worms. I will also viva it after it is on the cake and has has time to thaw and crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%