Wasc And Buttercream Question

Decorating By Tolinda Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 10:13pm by Tolinda

Tolinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tolinda Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 8

hi,
i've just made some white almond sour cream cupcakes the other day and i'm not sure if it's just me but they taste kind of cherry-ish to me. but i've never used almond extract before but it smells alot like cherries. if you've tried the betty crocker cherry cake, it taste ALOT like the wasc. i like the cake with the sour cream but not the flavour, so do you think i could substitute the almond with any other flavouring?

and i also have a question about the buttercream dream recipe. i made a batch of that and im not sure if its just me or not, but i really dislike the taste of all that butter. although it was half butter, half shortening, i tasted the butter way too much and was kind of sickening. is there any other buttercream recipe someone could recommend me that wouldn't be too buttery or sweet? TIA

7 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 8

yep you can add any flavours. I have made this with white chocolate and used whole eggs, I have also made it as a banana cake, again used whole eggs, then 2 large ripe bananas or 3 small ones, mashed, little bit of cinnamon and vanilla. yum!!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 8

almonds and cherries are in the same family actually and that's why they taste similar.

I'm sure you can put any flavoring in the cake...I adjust recipes like that all the time. Some flavors are stronger than others though so you might have to add more or less, depending on the flavor.

Tolinda Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:55am
post #4 of 8

thanks you guys! oh i didn't know almonds and cherries are in the same family. there's my problem. i hate cherries thumbsdown.gif. and torki, i was thinking banana! your version sounds superrr yummy. i think i'm going to try it tmr! thanks again.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 6:01am
post #5 of 8
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 6:53am
post #6 of 8

Well, the other thing is that red maraschino cherries are actually almond-flavored. To a lot of people, the only cherries they've ever had are maraschinos, so they associate almond flavor with cherries. BUT, real cherries don't taste (or look) anything like maraschinos! When they make maraschinos, the cherries are actually "pickled" in a sweet almond flavored liquid. (the green ones are mint flavored supposedly, but I've never eaten those, so I don't know for sure).

My husband HATES maraschino cherries and almond-flavored items. BUT he loves real cherries and almonds themselves.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 8

The cherry, almond, peach, apricot and plum are in the same genus, prunus; along with about four hundred other plants of the family, rosaceae (rose).

http://www.answers.com/topic/rosaceae-family-rosaceae-rose-family

http://www.answers.com/topic/prunus-genus-prunus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus

Tolinda Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 8

thanks janH for all those links thumbs_up.gif . and prterrell, i guess i'm like your husband then. i love cherries ( the acutal fruit) but hate anytyhing thats flavoured in it. and i love almonds. especially the ones coated in chocolate!! yummy.. and thanks for the facts. i learn something new everyday icon_biggrin.gif i expected the almond extract to taste like almond or somewhat near there..that's a shame.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%