Cake Release

Decorating By Amy83 Updated 1 May 2007 , 9:55pm by Amy83

Amy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy83 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 51

I just bought cake release and tried it out, my gosh does it work!! Its nice to find a product that actually does what it says it will do icon_lol.gif

50 replies
jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 51

don't you love that!? i have been using pam spray for baking (with flour) and it works like a miracle! i also heard there are some recipes on here to make your own cake release (i'll bet it's a lot less expensive).

good luck with your cakes and welcome aboard!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 51

I now make my own "cake release" by mixing equal parts of flour, oil and shortening. I use a pastry brush to apply it to pans, and it works wonders also! thumbs_up.gif

deb

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 51

Hey! There's an awesome post about everyone's favorite tips that is like 26 pages long, and this recipe is on there! I just got it yesterday.

1 part flour
1 part shortening
1 part oil

THAT'S IT!! I haven't tried it but people said it was great! I have been using Wilton cake release for a couple of years and LOVE IT, but it's not cheap - but this recipe will be, and I bet it's the same ingredients!!!

Amy83 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 51

thanks so much! I'll have to try it. I flipped the pan over after I used wiltons, and I heard 'thump' and I was like 'no way!' lol

to think yesterday I was patching my cake back together because it stuck icon_rolleyes.gif

Amy83 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 51

MomLittr & Renaejrk... I did the home made this afternoon and it works AWESOME!!! they came out with no fuss what so ever! thanks for the tip =)

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 51

My father worked at Wonderbread years ago, and they used a mixture of flour and shortening in their pans when baking bread.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 51

Wow, I really do learn something new everyday!! I've been using cake release for a few years too! I love, love, love it!!!
I will definately have to try this recipe!
Thanks thumbs_up.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 51

As I was typing, I was thinking: how would I store this? Then I realized that I could wash out my almost empty containers of cake release and use those!!

Solobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solobaker Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 51

Yes! I can't wait to try the homemade version of the Wilton's cake release. I love that stuff! I've been using it for a couple of years and even though it was a bit expensive--I decided that it was worth the cost and definately a must-have item. I've never had any cake stick even a tiny bit. Now to find out there is a homemade (cheaper) version that works just as good! For the decorators that have made it--how long will it stay good and did you just store it in a plastic container or maybe an older Wilton release bottle? Another reason I love CakeCentral! thumbs_up.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 51

I keep mine in a plastic quart container (chinese takeout) in my pantry. No problems with it at all.

deb

Amy83 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:41am
post #12 of 51

I have no idea how long it would stay good for, but I think I'll just make it as I need it... today all I needed was one table spoon worth.

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:56am
post #13 of 51

I bought the Wilton cake release and I think its wonderful. I love not having to "grease and flour" my cake pans.

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:10am
post #14 of 51

I use the homemade version all of the time, but not just for cakes. Try it in your pans when you do any type of casserole: Lasagna, mac & cheese, enchiladas. You won't believe how easy it is to clean the pan! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

mommakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakescakes Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:33am
post #15 of 51

Thanks for the tip icon_lol.gif I hate scrubbing pans icon_cry.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:36am
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakescakes

Thanks for the tip icon_lol.gif I hate scrubbing pans icon_cry.gif

ha ha, i leave mine in the dishwasher and let them go cycle after cycle until they are clean! icon_redface.gif maybe i should try cake release! icon_lol.gif

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 8:33pm
post #17 of 51

when you make your own cake release is it equal parts of flower, shortening and oil? just want to make sure. I think Im gonna try it on my next cake.

Amy83 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:42pm
post #18 of 51

correct, its equal parts of each. have fun!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:07am
post #19 of 51

You mix it with your whip attachment for a full ten minutes according to the recipe I have. I've just begun using it about ten cakes ago. I have had a few cakes stick, but I leave my cakes in the pan too long, I think. I had read that you need to turn the cake out before the cake release has a chance to cool. I like the Wilton better, but I used up the bottle pretty fast for the price! I'd like to hear more people's experience with the homemade and how long they keep the cakes in the pans after baking.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:47am
post #20 of 51

I've been making this stuff for years. I just store mine in a plastic airtight container in the cabinet. The batch I am using right now I have had since around xmas I think and it is still fine. It may seperate when the house is warm, but I just mix it up before using it.

The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make as much or as little as you need. If you are only doing a few cakes here and there, then do 1/4th of a cup of each thing. If you do alot of cakes, then do 1/2 to 1 cup of them.

I use this for all baked things now. When I make tarts or bars and have even used it when making cheesecakes.

I've always heard you should take your cakes out of the pan 10-15 mins after they come out of the oven, because what ever you use to grease the pan will resolidify and cause your cake to stick. If you do happen to leave your cake in the pan too long, you can put it back in a warm oven for a few mins to remelt the 'release stuff' you use and should be able to get the cake out then with no problems.

MelZ Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:20am
post #21 of 51

If I leave my cakes in the pan too long, I just set the cake pan in about 3/4 of an inch of hot water for a couple of minutes and it flip right out of the pan. I do wipe off the bottom of the pan before turning so I don't get water everywhere.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:36am
post #22 of 51

Now I'm convinced I MUST try the homemade release! I've read about it and tried it once a LONG time ago and can't recall the results! I'm all over it now! I'm tired of the grease/flour thing!

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:43am
post #23 of 51

This is Amazing icon_eek.gif ! I cant wait to make my own! I go through a bottle of cake release like every two weeks! I was curious though, do you melt the butter and shortening or just blend it all together?

MelZ Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:36am
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsouza

This is Amazing icon_eek.gif ! I cant wait to make my own! I go through a bottle of cake release like every two weeks! I was curious though, do you melt the butter and shortening or just blend it all together?

no butter. Equal parts flour, shortening (crisco), & oil. Just mix it together with your mixer.

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:04am
post #25 of 51

Finally, something i know a bit about!!! I started the Wilton classes back before Christmas and somehow had the good fortune to stumble across this website. As one bonus I came across the cake release recipe. What a God-send. I am finnishing my classes on Tuesday and know without a doubt that I will NEVER buy another can of spray. The homemade stuff is wonderous!!! Thanks Cake Central....and whoever came up with that recipe!!! icon_lol.gif Linda

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:53am
post #26 of 51

It works so well that I made one single batch (not sure if it would "really work"). After that I now make double batches and store them in a Tupperware container. Applied with a pastry brush, you can't beat it! I use it in muffin pans too!

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 6:51am
post #27 of 51

For years I had been greasing and flouring my pans. Cake release was just too expensive, so I saw that Pam came out with a similar product, and decided to try it, expecting it to fail. It works wonders, and is relatively cheap. Just a simple warning: Make sure that you don't have any overspray on the floor. I almost hit the deck!! Wood laminate gets real nice and slick! LOL

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:36pm
post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ

I use the homemade version all of the time, but not just for cakes. Try it in your pans when you do any type of casserole: Lasagna, mac & cheese, enchiladas. You won't believe how easy it is to clean the pan! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

I use this to grease all my pans too! I never have problems cleaning them up anymore. And I don't have the overspray either. I used to make this in 1/8 cup increments but thankfully i'm getting more orders now and making it up in about 1 cup batches. I put all my ingredients into the food processor or the blender and mix until blended. Perfect everytime.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 6:41pm
post #29 of 51

This is the one I made. I got this one off a discussion forum at Wilton.com. (no, you don't melt the crisco)

PAN DRESSING

1/2 Cup CRISCO
1/2 Cup Oil
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour

Mix well on HIGH with mixer for 10 minutes. (USING THE WHIP BEATER)
Spread on pan with Pastry Brush.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 9:18pm
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Quote:

ha ha, i leave mine in the dishwasher and let them go cycle after cycle until they are clean! icon_redface.gif maybe i should try cake release! icon_lol.gif

OMGosh! I thought I was the only one! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%