How Long Does Cake Flour Stay Fresh?

Decorating By Tallulah Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 6:58pm by Tallulah

Tallulah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallulah Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

The reason I ask is, I bought a 50lb bag of flour a few months ago and I have kept it in air-tight containers. I noticed that the texture of my cakes changed after a while. My sponge cake was no longer fluffy and neither was my pound cake. The last time I used this flour was about a week ago and I had to sift it seven times to get the same texture.

Now I have another 50lb bag that was given to me as a thank you, but I'm afraid to open it because I have no idea if I'm going to have to throw it away eventually.

Should I divide it in zip-lock bags, vaccum seal, what??

HELP!! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 5
FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 5

Acording to the ServSafe class we just took -

Flower is good for 6-12 months as long as it is sealed some how - as in air tight container. I bought a HUGE bad bag and stored it in one of those XXXL Ziplock bags - works great.

Hope this helps!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 5

here is some information for you:

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t-133-1039/Flour-Storage.asp

Most types of flour keep well in a sealed container in a cool, dry, and dark location. The original paper packaging used for many types of flour is fine for long term storage as long as the package has not been opened. Once open, the shelf life decreases. Many types of flour are now marketed in resealable plastic bags that increase shelf life.

The refrigerator is a very good storage area for flour, but the use of a sealed container is even more important to prevent the flour from absorbing moisture as well as odors and flavors from other foods stored in the refrigerator. The freezer compartment can be used for long-term storage, but when using a sealed container or a freezer bag, make sure it is full to eliminate as much air as possible. Most types of flour can also be tightly wrapped for freezer storage, but wrapping is often an awkward method for storing large quantities. Wrap the flour tightly in plastic followed by a layer of aluminum foil. Avoid refrigerating or freezing flour in its original paper packaging because paper is porous and the flour may absorb moisture and odors, however if the flour has not been opened, the paper package can be stored in the refrigerator of freezer if the package is tightly wrapped with plastic.

Flour milled from whole grains does not keep as long as highly refined flour because the germ portion of the whole grain can cause the flour to become rancid over time. Flour that does not look or smell good should not be used. It is best to buy smaller quantities of flour if you are finding it necessary to continually discard the flour due to spoilage.

Shelf Life

* The original paper packaging is fine for long term cabinet storage as long as the package has not been open.
* Most types of flour keep longer in a cool, dry cabinet if stored in a sealed plastic or glass container.
* The refrigerator is a very good storage area for flour, but the use of a sealed container is even more important to prevent the flour from absorbing moisture as well as odors and flavors from other foods stored in the refrigerator.
* The freezer is usually the best location for long term storage. Use sealed plastic containers or freezer bags for optimum freshness.
* Flour that does not look or smell good should not be used.

All-purpose Flour

Shelf- Life: for cabinet storage, up to 8 months if properly stored in a sealed container or if tightly wrapped, and for refrigerator storage, up to one year.

Amaranth Flour

Shelf- Life: up to 6 months in the freezer if properly stored in a sealed container or if tightly wrapped.

Other Considerations: will not keep well if it is stored in a warm location or if it is exposed to sunlight. The flavor and aroma of amaranth flour will become bitter if it is stored improperly or for an excessively long period.

Barley Flour

Shelf Life: up to 4 months in the freezer in a sealed container or if tightly wrapped. The flour has a short shelf life when stored in a cabinet.

Bread Flour

Shelf Life: several months in a cool, dry cabinet when stored in a sealed container or if tightly wrapped, and up to one year in the freezer.

Tallulah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallulah Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys! You are the BEST!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%