Gumpaste Hummingbird? Motorcycle?

Decorating By LaSombra Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 3:17am by LaSombra

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 8

This is my 1st question on the "how to" board icon_smile.gif

I just got an order from a customer who won a 9" cake in a raffle we did at Christmas time and she wants a motorcycle/hummingbird cake. It's a double birthday so that's why the combo icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I've never worked with gumpaste before and keep putting off trying it. I've done fondant enough but I do have the gumpaste mix that I haven't done anything with yet. I really want to wow these customers because it's basically advertising for me. Do you think I could pull it off to make a hummingbird? Should I just do it in white and then go back and paint it or should I start with a certain color or what? Geez, I feel like a n00b on this all of a sudden icon_razz.gif

As for the motorcycle, I have some cookie cutters shaped like motorcycles and was just thinking I could do an impression along the sides of the cake with that and then trace with frosting...or should I go gumpaste with that also!? icon_lol.gif

7 replies
LaSombra Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 8

I'm wondering now if this should be on a different board icon_redface.gif

I guess my question is really just do you have any tips on doing the gumpaste hummingbird and how should I color it?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 8

patience...mondays are busy and many of us work in during the day (shhhh this coming to you from my classroom AFTER school!)

gumpaste --- your choice. tho' if want to do several colors and blend for more realistic look...then white and paint after.

remember, gumpaste like working in polyclay (if you've ever done that) -- only will dry out much faster.

motorcycle--sounds like a cute idea...

tho' I had visions of a "Harley Hummer" --- hummingbird in helmet, goggles, scarf riding on a harley hog!

HTH

LaSombra Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

patience...mondays are busy and many of us work in during the day (shhhh this coming to you from my classroom AFTER school!)

gumpaste --- your choice. tho' if want to do several colors and blend for more realistic look...then white and paint after.

remember, gumpaste like working in polyclay (if you've ever done that) -- only will dry out much faster.

motorcycle--sounds like a cute idea...

tho' I had visions of a "Harley Hummer" --- hummingbird in helmet, goggles, scarf riding on a harley hog!

HTH

hehe, that'd be cuteicon_razz.gif but the lady ordering the cake sounded like she wanted them separate because the woman who likes hummingbirds wasn't happy to share the birthday with her son (the one who likes motorcycles) so I think having stuff on the same cake is bad enough icon_rolleyes.gif

I was thinking that I might even use some luster dust to paint on the hummingbird after it's done...what do you think?

Doug Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 8

considering how iridescent real hummingbird feathers are

lay on the dust! lots of it.

they may be tiny but some seem to have delusions of grandeur and being fancier than a peacock!

LaSombra Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:05am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

considering how iridescent real hummingbird feathers are

lay on the dust! lots of it.

they may be tiny but some seem to have delusions of grandeur and being fancier than a peacock!

I'm kinda nervous about doing this but I can always do a FBCT if it doesn't work out...in regards to the painting on the gumpaste, do you mix the color with something before painting on or do you dip the paintbrush directly into the paint? Maybe use a sponge or something? You mix luster dust with clear vanilla or the like, right?

Doug Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:39am
post #7 of 8

re: dusts

can put them on dry for subtle effects

can mix them w/ lemon extract or alcohol (i use everclear) for stronger bolder effect

paints: (like food colorings) depends upon effect desired.

darker/bolder -- straight as is.
subtle -- thin down.

much like working w/ water colors

LaSombra Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:17am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your help, Doug icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%