Edible Images

Decorating By deb12g Updated 2 Apr 2007 , 7:02pm by Lisa

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 14

I've been doing quite a few edible images, and never had problems --until last week. When they are printed, the colors aren't right. It kind of looks like a picture's negative would look, except it's in color. Someone told me my ink levels might be low, even though it didn't indicate that they were. So, I refilled the cartridges & the next 2 images came out fine. Then, it started doing the same thing all over again. Also, on the ones that came out OK, I couldn't get them to come off of the backing. I put them in the freezer for awhile, but nothing helped! Any suggestions?

13 replies
Hula_girl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hula_girl3 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 14

Did you try to clean the Ink Heads? I'm thinking maybe they are clogged.
Other then that I have no clue, when we print we just use regular non toxic printing ink instead of the kind that Kopy Kake had recomended cuz of the inconsistancies and clogging in our printer heads.

Whenever I've printed pictures with a lot of black in the background they tend to stick to the backing but I've found that putting them in the oven for just a little bit dries them out pretty quickly so they can lift off the backing.

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 14

So, Hula, are you saying you don't purchase the edible inks? What are you using? Please tell the name brand and such, I am interested in this....TIA

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 14

I'm interested too. I have gone to ink manufacturer's sites and looked at the msds sheets to see what was in the ink. It tells you what is in the ink and how much must be ingested to cause discomfort and such, but that's as far as I made it before I decided it's just better to stick with edible ink. I'd like to know what you use and how you can be sure it is safe for eating. Non-toxic isn't the same as edible, do you sell your cakes for profit?

Hula_girl3 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 14

To be honest I'm not sure, we have an office administraitor that picks that stuff up.

To my knowledge we use a Canon printer with Canon ink, when i asked my boss about it he said that after some research he realized that its almost exactly the same stuff that goes into the kopy kake and the regular printer ink.

The images I print all look great and we've done this for 2 years now and have never had anyone get sick including the owners kids who actually like to eat the stuff....blahhhh imo.

DianaMarieMTV Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 14

I noticed the similarity in ingrediants as well, but kopykake stuff didn't list the amount of each ingrediant. My major concern was the amount of carbon in the black. Not knowing how much is too much, and what the effects are on the body, etc. I should make a phone call to canon and a few other ink suppliers.

Hula_girl3 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 14

Yes I work for a rather large Bakery & Rest. doing their Specialty cakes/wedding cakes. We place our images onto Fondant or onto a White Chocolate plaque instead of directly on the cake. From what our customers have said they like the look but think the stuff is rather bland so they tend to remove the image before slicing. By placing it on the White Chocolate plaque then they can purchase a regular retail looking cake....say with chocolate curls on top then we just nestle the image into the curls and use them to make a clean boarder for the image.

DianaMarieMTV Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the information. That is an interesting concept. With the price of those edible inks, it is something worth investigating!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 14

Just an FYI. This is Canon's official stance on cross contamination...

Standard inks (either Canon manufactured inks or other third party inks) are not safe to digest and immediate medical advice should be sought if this were to happen.

If the use of such inks or media were contemplated then extreme caution should be taken to avoid cross contamination with the standard inks and to avoid contact with any of the printer internal components that could contain substances, which may be transferred onto the icing sheet.

HTH

Hula_girl3 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 14

wow I'll let my boss know, thanks for the info Lisa.
Btw can I get that link? He's pretty hardheaded at times, especially when it comes to him being wrong about stuff.

DianaMarieMTV Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 14

You can always count on Lisa for a technical response when it comes to edible images! thumbs_up.gif

Lisa Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hula_girl3

Btw can I get that link?

Sure. I received the info via email after contacting Canon. The release is still in their archives though.

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/printers/bubble_jet/latest_news.asp

Lisa Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 14

TY DianaMarieMTV icon_smile.gif

Lisa Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:02pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb12g

I've been doing quite a few edible images, and never had problems --until last week. When they are printed, the colors aren't right. It kind of looks like a picture's negative would look, except it's in color. Someone told me my ink levels might be low, even though it didn't indicate that they were. So, I refilled the cartridges & the next 2 images came out fine. Then, it started doing the same thing all over again. Also, on the ones that came out OK, I couldn't get them to come off of the backing. I put them in the freezer for awhile, but nothing helped! Any suggestions?

Since you just refilled, it sounds like a clog(s). The images will look like a negative because at least one color is missing. It could mean it's time to replace the cartridges rather than refill them or you might just need to run a cleaning cycle. Try the cleaning cycle and then a nozzle check. Repeat it a few times if you need to until the nozzle check comes out ok.

Also, the sheets stick to the backing because they're too moist. They need time to dry. You can let them air dry but I use a blow dryer to speed up the process.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%