Martha's "new" Basketweave????

Decorating By mrsfish94 Updated 18 Apr 2006 , 12:21am by cakegal

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 12:39am
post #31 of 88

What a gorgeous cake!
Being the "wet, behind the ears" beginner that I am, I feel silly throwing in my two cents....BUT, I think it looks like a mini-trowel type tool, diamond shaped...one used in sculpting clay, just laid on the icing to leave an impression. I can't wait to find out how it's really done!

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 2:11am
post #32 of 88

I also think its a basketweave tip that is given a 1/2 twist ..or at least it appears to be that way. Has anyone figured this out yet..I'd love to hear from you if you have..

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:21am
post #33 of 88

I still haven't heard back from anyone yet. I think I will call Christy. I have been working on other things so I haven't called but I will call tomorrow.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:55am
post #34 of 88

I sure hope someone finds out how this was done...
Absolutely lovely...I love weaves...and this will be a favorite if we get the instructions...
It is way tooo perfect...it might be some kind of a mat on buttercreme icing...
WOW!!! I just love this cake...

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:57am
post #35 of 88

You know what it kind of looks like to me......
it looks like you use the basket weave tip and some how criss cross it in each section...
I don't know, but that's what it looks like to me...
I hope we find out...
SOON!!!!

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:18am
post #36 of 88

Ok...I went to photo shop and studied it close up the best I could. It is not piped is my conclusion. It is crusted buttercream and a tool is used to make the indents into the cake. I am going to try what I think it is this weekend to see.

Marmish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marmish Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:40am
post #37 of 88

I'm certainly no expert, but there are lit candles on that cake. Wouldn't it have to be fondant? Any type of buttercream would melt.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:41am
post #38 of 88

I think it is an impression on the icing. Could be wrong,but that is my guess. It is beautiful!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 6:15pm
post #39 of 88

Bumping....dying to know what anybody found out about this basketweave!!!

Angie

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 6:19pm
post #40 of 88

I am too!!!

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 6:21pm
post #41 of 88

me too

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 6:33pm
post #42 of 88

I went to the Cake & Sugar Arts competition in Austin, TX this past weekend and one of the vendors had a rolling pin that I wondered if "Martha" used on that cake.

It's called a "Deep Basket Weave Rolling Pin" and it's shown here. It's quite angular, so I wonder if it would produce the depth that appears in that buttercream cake. I can't see the picture of the icing very well, so I could be way off the mark.

~ Sherri

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 6:34pm
post #43 of 88

ditto! Bump

mrsfish94 Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:20pm
post #44 of 88

I called her today...and left a message with one of her employee's. Hopefully she'll call back!

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 11:55pm
post #45 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I went to the Cake & Sugar Arts competition in Austin, TX this past weekend and one of the vendors had a rolling pin that I wondered if "Martha" used on that cake.

It's called a "Deep Basket Weave Rolling Pin" and it's shown here. It's quite angular, so I wonder if it would produce the depth that appears in that buttercream cake. I can't see the picture of the icing very well, so I could be way off the mark.

~ Sherri

Hey!! I think that's it!! But instead of rolling it horizontally, they rolled it vertically!!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:11am
post #46 of 88

I don't think it is the deep basketweave rolling pin, but the picture isn't real easy to see. I say we keep looking!

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:30am
post #47 of 88

I agree with mac. I have no clue how its done though. maybe they had something personally made for them, so it would be truely unique.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:35am
post #48 of 88

The same day that I entered my previous post regarding this question, I sent off an E-mail to Martha Stewart Omnimedia, requesting information on this design, along with the photo that I posted on the thread. As yet, I have not received any response. This is neither positive nor negative, as they may be researching the issue as we speak. If I receive a response from them, I will post it either way.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mrsfish94 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:35am
post #49 of 88

Well...no phone call.... icon_confused.gif yet...anyway...maybe tomorrow

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 4:04am
post #50 of 88

I did a search on google and found this picture. Is it a similar type of basketweave? It looks like it, but I can't tell exactly.

http://www.nantucketbakeshop.com/cake16.html

Let me know what you think, Maybe I can e-mail these people, and see if they are willing to share.

Ami

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 4:14am
post #51 of 88

Here is the cake enlarged, as much as CC would except and as much as I could without distorting it-maybe someone will know how it's made! thumbs_up.gif

Oh, click on image and a window will come up then put your cursor on the image (which is the small size regular image) where you can save it-but don't save it-just press the enlargement arrows on the bottom right of the picture and it will get to the 600x800 size.
LL

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 4:20am
post #52 of 88

It is a beautiful cake... I'm like everyone else, I wanna know how they did that!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 4:23am
post #53 of 88

Yeah, I don't think it's a rolling pin because there are quite a few dots that are out of alignment. I wonder if they didn't use a sculping comb to get the horizontal lines and then use a triangular tool to push each section in, followed by the dots.

sweetteacher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetteacher Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 4:37am
post #54 of 88

I've seen a similar cake in an older MS Weddings. It was done by impressing with the tip of a knife. This one looks like a paint palette knife was used.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 12:31pm
post #55 of 88

I haven't tested out the theory on using a garnishing tool yet, but I still agree that this is not a textured rolling pin. I also think it looks like a knife of some sort, or a miniature spade. The tops of the cake also look like they did that upside down smoothing trick, but just for the top. You know, made a circle of icing and stuck in the freezer, just like a FBCT and then sat it on top.

mendhigurl - those do look similar. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 12:48pm
post #56 of 88

menhigurl,
that is exactly it. let us know!

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 12:51pm
post #57 of 88

When I working on a cake this weekend, I noticed the end of one of my fondant tools looked like it could make this impression perfectly!
Here's a picture I found online, except mine's light green & seems to have a sharper end:
http://globalsugarart.com/product_image.php?imageid=2189

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:01pm
post #58 of 88

I've got one of those two. I did a half-hearted attempt with a garnishing tool. No luck there. The problem I had was that the tool was straight. So, I was putting an impression the length of the tool or I gouged the cake trying to get the right angle. So I didn't keep trying. I think whatever was used to make the impression was bent at an angle. Does that make sense?

ariun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ariun Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:10pm
post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendhigurl

I did a search on google and found this picture. Is it a similar type of basketweave? It looks like it, but I can't tell exactly.
http://www.nantucketbakeshop.com/cake16.html

ooh yes! Their cakes 2 and 16 feature that special basketweave.
http://www.nantucketbakeshop.com/cake2.html

Still no idea how it's done though.

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:18pm
post #60 of 88

I see that! I'm a newbie and also think that they used a 104 tip on it's side and did a little twist or something like that between the 104 lines. But who knows-I don't. LOL. Just guessing!

I can't believe no one here has tried it yet with all the expert cake decorators out there whom bake cakes all the time. Come on Cake decorators I know ya'll can do it!

Just giving some moral support here. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%