Martha's "new" Basketweave????

Decorating By mrsfish94 Updated 18 Apr 2006 , 12:21am by cakegal

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:13am
post #1 of 88

I was on a cake web site and found a cake style labled with this name. It was really pretty and would love to figure out how to do it. Does anyone have those directions???

87 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:19am
post #2 of 88

I am wondering, were you looking at Wedding Cake Lady's site?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:19am
post #3 of 88

do you have a link or a picture of it

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:27am
post #4 of 88

What website? What picture? Thanks

playingwithsugar Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:36am
post #5 of 88

Here's the link I found with that title - it's number two on the page.

http://www.weddingcakelady.com/romance.html

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

pkcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkcakes Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:42am
post #6 of 88

That basketweave is so beautiful!! I can't figure out how to do that.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:48am
post #7 of 88

looks like she used tip 104 somehow but can't seem to figure out how yet. I bet it's soooo simple.

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:49am
post #8 of 88

You know it looks like they took a knife or small spade and made the marks in the sides of the cake. I don't think it was piped on. That looks like it would take a while. Very pretty though, it reminds me of the old shaker style wooden boxes.

fearlessbaker Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:53am
post #9 of 88

Martha Stewart did one that was similar a long time ago. It was done somehow with a butterknive making the pattern. Wanting instant gratification, I tried it but gave up.

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:13am
post #10 of 88

Do you think the weddingcakelady would share the technique with us? That basketweave is gorgeous. I wonder if anyone on here has that wedding issue.

bikegal

playingwithsugar Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:17am
post #11 of 88

Who knows? Some cake artists love to share their knowledge with others, even strangers. Yet other cake artists won't even reply and say they do not share their secrets. All you can do is try. The worst is that she can say no, right?

If you get it, start a new thread for us!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fearlessbaker Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:28am
post #12 of 88

I am going to contact them in the morning and see if they will share it. Most decorators love to share. Who knows.

mrsfish94 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:35am
post #13 of 88

Yes that is the one!!! And I already emailed her ...like two weeks ago. She never returned my email.

I would so love to learn to do this. Thanks everyone!!

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 11:52am
post #14 of 88

It looks like possibly you could do this using a flat basketweave tip, but twisting the tip for each section you pipe on.

It's hard to see it well in the picture, but it looks like each small section is a twist of icing, similar to how you would do a half-twist with a piece of ribbon.

I'll try to get time later today to play with it and see if I can get it to look like that. That'll give me something to do while the kids are getting ready for school! icon_biggrin.gif

Laura.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 12:30pm
post #15 of 88

must be nice to have time to do something else ... I have to be running like a mad woman in the morning to get the kids out of the door .... and they start at 7:45 icon_confused.gif

I'm interested to see who figures this one out

mrsfish94 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:08pm
post #16 of 88

Maybe I should contact Martha??? I bet someone there would know...if not Her!!! icon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:10pm
post #17 of 88

My money's on her not telling.

The woman does some beautiful work!

~ Sherri

fearlessbaker Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 88

O.K I emailed her. Let's see what happens. I emailed Sylvia Weinstock this A.M. and she emailed me within the hour. It was about cake boxes with a separate lid. She just uses boxes from a box company.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 88

Hi,
you know, It does not mention Martha Stewart anywhere..that might be a different Martha.. sometimes bakers give their cakes names..
I apologize if I am wrong.. icon_smile.gif

mrsfish94 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:20pm
post #20 of 88

I had not thought of that. You may be right. Thanks to fearless baker for emailing Martha...Please let me know what she says. I had planned on do this...but I'll wait for your answer.

Cakepro Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:25pm
post #21 of 88

Sylvia Weinstock isn't worried about competition. icon_smile.gif This lady might be. Or she might just be too busy to answer emails with instructional information. I would be surprised if she answers, but I certainly hope she does! I can't get a good detailed look at the technique with that small picture.

That lady's name is Christy, not Martha.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:38pm
post #22 of 88

I tried to magnify the pic to get a better look. It looks like she used some kind of tool to put a divot on the sides. like a knife or something like that or one of those tools you use to cut a fruit to get the points. Sorry - I'm no help!!

Although, I am doing a square cake with a basket weave today, maybe I'll give it a shot!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:48pm
post #23 of 88

That's amazing. Just gorgeous. I haven't even learned the regular basketweave yet! (Final course II is on Monday) icon_redface.gif I wonder if they will share their secrets.

Angie

Cakepro Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:54pm
post #24 of 88

Oh, a garnishing tool....I have some of those. I have a cake to do today that I can play around with.

Good idea! icon_biggrin.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:09pm
post #25 of 88

all we can do right now is come up with our own "analysis"..
Probably she used an ordirnary flat tip, then kind of twist the tip together with the icing bag half way to the end of the "weave"... you know like when you have a pc. of ribbon, then you twist one end, icon_smile.gificon_confused.gificon_smile.gif

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:22pm
post #26 of 88
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, a garnishing tool....I have some of those. I have a cake to do today that I can play around with

Yeah, that thing! I'm gonna try too. I think I'll wait 'til it crusts a bit, then mark off some lines and then apply it in an upward motion. We'll see.....

mrsfish94 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:36pm
post #27 of 88

I guess I just assumed that she (Christy) ment Martha Stewart. I was going to try Martha Stewart to see if she could give me the instructions. I did email Christy...as I posted before. Maybe I should just try calling her. I just didn't want to bother her about that on the phone.

Thanks again for all the help, suggestions & guesses!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 12:11am
post #28 of 88

Hi, I just copied the photo into my Corel Draw program so I could enlarge it. It goes blurry when enlarged a lot, but this design is so precise, I'd be more inclined to think that it is an impression mat rather than piping. Janice

fearlessbaker Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 12:26am
post #29 of 88

I think this was made with one of the embossing rolling pins on fondant. It just doesn't look like fondant because or the lighting. Go to Sugarcraft and under gumpase and fondant look under tools. It will say "Rolling Pins, Textured." Look there and there are plenty.
then if you want try and find Modern Bakery. They seem to have a lot of stuff of interest dealing with fondant and mats etc. Please, let me know what you think.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 12:29am
post #30 of 88

I vote that it's an impression mat or pin, too. Waaaayyy too perfect to be piping!! lol icon_razz.gif But it sure is beautiful! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%