Big Party Pricing Help - Long One People!

Business By izzybee Updated 27 Mar 2006 , 6:06am by JennT

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:02am
post #1 of 10

OK here's what they want, all bite size (I'm making most things in the mini muffin pans):

2 dz. summer fruit tartlets (whipped cream pastry cream, shortbread crust, fresh fruit)

2 dz. Meringues with lemon curd

2 dz. caramel nut tartlets (just walnuts and caramel in a butter crust)

2 dz. brownies (with lots of nuts, chips and butter!)

1 dz. shot glasses of chocolate mousse

2 dz. mini raspberry marble cheesecakes

1 dz. mini plain cheesecakes

40 bites (basically truffles) with colored chocolate dot decorations

10" round chocolate fudge layer cake with whipped ganache filling and poured chocolate ganache frosting with colored chocolate decorations (purses shoes, flowers, dots)

When I priced it out I came to $300 total. 50 people will be there, and they will take my business cards to hand out. This could be a big opportunity for me, but I don't want to give it away either.

HELP!! Does this seem too cheap? I live in a pretty rural area 1 hour west of Philadelphia if that helps.
Thanks guys, I know I can count on you!
Lauren thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:07am
post #2 of 10

If I use my prices I come up with about $350. So you are pretty much on the mark. You could probably get away with a little more than that. Let's see what everyone else thinks.

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:14am
post #3 of 10

I'm not good with pricing either. On several occasions I undersold myself. However when you quoted this price did it include your supplies, labor and delivery? If you did not is it to late to recalculate? Good luck!

izzybee Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:16am
post #4 of 10

I have not given them the price yet. I stalled them until tomorrow so you all can help me!

The prices do include all labor and supplies. I will not be losing moneym and they live 10 minutes from me so I'm not charging for delivery.

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:24am
post #5 of 10

I can't answer your question, pricing is a pain heck i'm still tring to figure out prices for mini cupcakes. You have a lot of work ahead of you. That is going to take a lot of time. Good luck with all those desserts made me tired just reading the list. icon_biggrin.gif

izzybee Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:51am
post #6 of 10

You think your tired! They're all for next Saturday, and they just told me today what they wanted!

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:55am
post #7 of 10

All the mini's take lots of time, if possible, I would up it by at least $50-$75. If they balk, explain that all that bite size stuff actually takes longer than the big stuff! By the way, it sounds yummy!!!
Good luck!
Leslie

Just a thought. . . you might price it out as a wedding cake. Each person will eat several pieces if you can think of it in those terms. I hope this makes sense to you (and anyone else reading it)!
nc dessert diva

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 3:03am
post #8 of 10

Go ahead and give them a higher price......if they don't like it, they might try to get you to come down. If you want, you can say, well...since you'll be handing out my cards, etc. it will make them feel better and they'll feel like they're getting a great deal if you come down for them.

Good Luck.......you're going to be busy!

izzybee Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 12:49pm
post #9 of 10

So I guess the price was too high, because they cut back the order, added some cookies and are going to buy some fruit. So we're down to $196. Still my biggest order!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 6:06am
post #10 of 10

Still a nice order! thumbs_up.gif And be confident that it wasn't YOUR price that was too high...they would've been charged soooo much more if they went elsewhere for the same thing (i.e. bakery, gourmet store/cafe, restaurant, etc.). Some people just are unaware of what those cutesy little desserts cost, but no matter where you order them from, they're not cheap. I thought your price was right on. I know that I've had ideas in my head before of what something should cost but find out differently after shopping and calling around, so I had to 'adjust' what I wanted...lol. icon_rolleyes.gif Glad they stuck with you and just changed their order some. Good luck with all of it and please don't forget to post pics of your tiny creations!! icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%